Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Unless you have a permit i.e. you work in the area or are a member of RCYC, the Port Authority should not let you onto the access road.

There's a strong possibility you could get mashed by some pretty large vehicles hurtling along that stretch of road.

The cycle path is a lot safer. More cyclists travel this way without incident than most people think.

Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I'd rather take my chances with traffic than against criminals trying to steal my bike and injure me in the process.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks cfcjim.

That's when I was hoping to go through the harbour, as I'm sure the cycle path is pretty quite then.

No worries, just be careful at the top of the bridge (northerly) if you're turning right. Trucks can get frighteningly close.

As an aside,the cycle path is fairly well populated most of the day with recreational cyclists over the weekend. Especially mornings.

• 2 weeks later...

From Table mountain bikers

"At 8:07 a report was received of 2 persons robbed near Rhodes Memorial by 2 suspects on a motorbike. San Parks and SAPS worked together to apprehend the suspects within an hour in Rondebosch.
Great work by all concerned".

Well done

From Table mountain bikers

"At 8:07 a report was received of 2 persons robbed near Rhodes Memorial by 2 suspects on a motorbike. San Parks and SAPS worked together to apprehend the suspects within an hour in Rondebosch.

Great work by all concerned".

Well done

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: Fantastic!

the other day there were pictures of rangers on the mountain being posted on Facebook, very assuring. Yesterday on TM, morning and afternoon commute, not a ranger in sight. Where are they?

Runner was mugged along the road between Westlake golf course and the estate at roughly 7h00 this morning. Knocked down by guys in a white Corsa who then tried taking his shoes and watch. He was in rough shape, but OK. This was not in a secluded place and at a busy time of day. Be safe out there

• 2 months later...

Bad news, wherever it happens. The Phisantekraal area has built up a bad reputation for tik-head style robberies.

Safety in numbers, say the solo guy! I'm going to start roping in my lazy riding buddies a bit more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again we have crime on the mountain.A runner was murdered on the pipetrack above Campsbay this morning.Nothing taken!!!!

Pepperspray a must, at least as well as a whistle to make a noise.

Take care out there!

Bad news, wherever it happens. The Phisantekraal area has built up a bad reputation for tik-head style robberies.

Safety in numbers, say the solo guy! I'm going to start roping in my lazy riding buddies a bit more often.

Eish, I have the same issue and ride alone alot

Once again we have crime on the mountain.A runner was murdered on the pipetrack above Campsbay this morning.Nothing taken!!!!

Pepperspray a must, at least as well as a whistle to make a noise.

Take care out there!

Thats crazy, any further news regarding finding or catching who was responsible.