Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Is it safe to ride alone in Jonkershoek?

Never had problems there. Eden and Coetzenburg have seen muggings, but that has also been a year ago, the USBD is very active in Coetzenburg now. So it is safer than before.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cape town have danger zones - nnoooooo waaaaayyyyy

anyone want to buy my cycling equipment - i'm growing a beer belly from no on!!!

the only danger zones from now on will be the pub after a rugby match

smiley18.gif

anyone want to buy my cycling equipment - i'm growing a beer belly from no on!!!

smiley18.gif

Mal mo%r!!!!smiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley32.gif

smiley18.gif

J1-I1

smiley18.gif

J1-I1

oepssmiley9.gif

• 2 months later...
Guest Frail4Life

Dear Wolverine

GREAT Idea, I cycle around alot So I will report back.

Thanks

PS I have just been offered help to rebuild my Bike. Should be cycling again tomorrow.

If you can try and ride in a group or minimum two cyclists. There are so many crackheads (tik-koppe) out there just looking for trouble, so even the safest of places are not that safe.

If anybody's interested, we ride every Sunday from Tashreeka's in Kromboom Road in Rondebosch East. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard of one or 2 saddle bags being swiped going up Red Hill from the point side. The kids run with you and pop it off like little ninjas

I just heard of okes on Oukaapse weg.

They chuck bricks at you and then hold you up. Apparently armed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok not too many crime spots in CT from a cyclists perspective? At least your nt stabbed in the neck!

Security at Koeberg has been beefed up after I spoke to the head of Security.

You speak to Krause?

Word of caution as regards beefing up of security. Koeberg is NOT the nature reserve, albeit a portion of the reserve falls under the National Key Points Act. This means that only the perimeter of the area declared a NKP will be patrolled by Koeberg security. Their mandate in all likelihood does not include the perimeter of the reserve itself. So any thug + bumchum can jump that fence, which is simply to contain the wildlife, without Koeberg security being aware of it. Considering how many squatters there are just off the R27 after you pass the entrance to koeberg en route to Cpt, I want be surprised if one of the more enterprising squatters would stake out the cycle route.

So whilst I do applaud your efforts in bringing this issue to security's attention OneTime, we shouldn't count on them fixing the problem as they simply dont patrol there, or often enough as they would at Koeberg's proper perimeter. I could tell you stuff, but that's for another time.

Last words: safety in numbers, and feel free to pack a Katana. No one fcks around when you wielding ?nearly a meter of scalpel sharp steel.

as for cape town danger areas, ?the hiking (also doubles as biking tracks) around signal hill, lions head and table mountain have been traditional hotspots for criminally inclined individuals. The number of personnel intended for security purposes have been beefed up a lot, with major reductions in crime states being reported. Nice thing about lions head, is there are lots of ppl walking there.

Again, safety in numbers i guess.

• 1 month later...

one of the people said ealier in the discustion that Rhodes  Memorial was becoming a danger zone. it is when you cycling olone at night but when you cycle in a group of people 2-3 its ok.

seems u safer on your bike away from home than being at home if the following report is to be believed....

By Lavern de Vries

Installing burglar bars and hi-tech alarm systems in your home could make you more vulnerable to armed robbers, provincial police have cautioned.

Although police would not say whether there had been a recorded increase in house-breaking cases, provincial spokesman Superintendent Andre Traut said police had noticed that criminals were shifting from breaking into houses to robbing houses.

A housebreaking is defined as an incident in which the occupants are not at home and access is gained by opening, breaking or removing either a door or a window.

A house robbery, on the other hand, is perpetrated when the occupants are at home and they are threatened with force.

Continues Below ↓

House robberies saw one of the biggest increases in 2008 when the annual crime stats showed a 21 percent rise in the Western Cape alone.

According to the statistics 796 house robberies were reported in 2008, in contrast to 658 in 2007, while break-ins dipped from 43 142 to 42 376.

In the latest house robbery case, a 29-year-old suspected burglar was shot and killed while allegedly trying to rob a house in Worcester for the second time in three days.

Phumzile Thomas Kambi was shot in the chest at about 2.30am on Tuesday.

He and an accomplice had allegedly broken into a house in Worcester when barking dogs alerted the owner to their presence.

When the 49-year-old resident went outside to investigate, the accomplice jumped over a wall but Kambi allegedly lunged at the man with a knife and stabbed him in the head, Worcester police spokesman Captain Mzikayice Moloi said.

"The homeowner, who had already earlier fired a warning shot, then shot Kambi in the chest and he died on the scene," Moloi said.

Kambi's alleged accomplice, who broke his ankle while escaping, was arrested by police nearby after they were alerted to the shooting.

When police visited both the suspects' homes, they retrieved goods that they suspect had been stolen from the same homeowner on Friday morning.

The surviving suspect is expected to appear in the Worcester Magistrate's Court on Friday.

Police have not laid charges against the homeowner, who declined to comment on the incident.

Traut said robbers could gain access to a property in the same way as for a break-in, or by surprising the victims outside and then forcing them to go inside.

"House robberies are becoming more common due to high technology security devices and surprising the victim outside guarantees access to the property, the safe and vehicle keys," he explained.

This also gave criminals access to wallets containing bank cards, which were then used by credit card fraud syndicates.

Police say they are concerned about the new trend, especially because criminals are also becoming more reckless and brazen in their approach, and seem to be more desperate in perpetrating their crimes.

Weapons are being used to intimidate victims and also to protect the robbers against whomever gets in their way, said Traut.

"We have reason to believe that house robberies are organised by syndicates or groups of people and that criminals do not only strike once, but will perpetuate their criminal activities until they are caught," Traut said.

Source

the bike thing is my own spin, but honestly, wtf is going on? Did someone somewhere set a precedent (HINT!!) that crime surely does pay?

• 4 weeks later...