Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Veni, vidi, cycli!

Found riding company here at the hub for the most spectacular ride in my life drool.gif

Great roads, hills, views, weather, everything! If I come to CT again, will definitely rent a bike for the entire visit!

You will be made welcome by the cycling fraternity anytime. We need more of you.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is seriously concerning about Koeberg is that it is extremely popular with families and lone lady riders!

Be carefull on the cycletrack going over the bridge in Paardeneiland.Some mother has stolen the metal cover on top of the bridge leaving a ditch about 30cm.This happened between 5.15pm and 5.45pm yesterday

How safe is the cycle lane anyway. Have used it a few times before but dont like the bit going under the bridge as I cant see whats on the other side. Some people say going through the docks is safer?

Stellenbosch area problems on the rise again.

Could you be a little more specific about particular areas?

How safe is the cycle lane anyway. Have used it a few times before but dont like the bit going under the bridge as I cant see whats on the other side. Some people say going through the docks is safer?

You wont catch me on that stretch ever! Not sure who thought it would make sense to divert the cycle lane along the BRT path entirely away from traffic and essentially having eyeballs on you. Without full time police presence there, it defaults back to a hotspot.

• 1 month later...

Just heard this morning that a cyclist was attacked on the new stretch of the Sandown Link Rd in Blouberg yesterday.

Although it isn't officially open yet, he had apparently cycled along it when he was attacked by two men, one armed with a large rock and the other with a knife. They took his bike and everything else he had with him.

I think it's better to avoid being alone on that stretch until it opens properly to traffic.

Just heard this morning that a cyclist was attacked on the new stretch of the Sandown Link Rd in Blouberg yesterday.

Although it isn't officially open yet, he had apparently cycled along it when he was attacked by two men, one armed with a large rock and the other with a knife. They took his bike and everything else he had with him.

I think it's better to avoid being alone on that stretch until it opens properly to traffic.

Eish

I disagree, I'm from Stellenbosch and it is cycling friendly.

It is friendly if you avoid Welgevonden, Kayamandi, Jamestown, Eden, that other kop and quite a couple of other places in the bos.

Edited by Tankman

It is friendly if you avoid Welgevonden, Kayamandi, Jamestown, Eden, that other kop and quite a couple of other places in the bos.

So it only friendly when I cycle in my garage on my rollers?? :eek: :eek:

Stellenbosch:

Road

• R304 at Kayamandi. Watch for people loitering along the road.
  • R44 at Cloetesville; particularly on weekends, watch for groups parked out under the trees.

MTB

• Papegaaiberg.

Got mugged on a Sunday morning(a few months ago) inbound to Stellenbosch at 10:10, still scared to cycle that way!!!

So it only friendly when I cycle in my garage on my rollers?? :eek: :eek:

Isn't democracy a wonderful thing!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, coming to CT for two weeks next month. Keen to bring a road bike with me but getting very concerned about what I read about muggings etc. Staying in Glencairn Heights. I guess that the loop from there down to the cape and back via Kommetjie is pretty safe but would also like to fit in longer ride or two, perhaps something like the Argos route, or maybe our west around the bay.....already know to sprint past Kyalitsha! Used to anything up to 200km in UK. Anyone have suggestions for longer rides or better still groups I could book up with for safety in numbers. Best case scenario is a place I could post to fix up company in advance for some days whilst there. Planning early morning starts as family have other ideas for the rest of each day!

Cheers.

Hi all, coming to CT for two weeks next month. Keen to bring a road bike with me but getting very concerned about what I read about muggings etc. Staying in Glencairn Heights. I guess that the loop from there down to the cape and back via Kommetjie is pretty safe but would also like to fit in longer ride or two, perhaps something like the Argos route, or maybe our west around the bay.....already know to sprint past Kyalitsha! Used to anything up to 200km in UK. Anyone have suggestions for longer rides or better still groups I could book up with for safety in numbers. Best case scenario is a place I could post to fix up company in advance for some days whilst there. Planning early morning starts as family have other ideas for the rest of each day!

Cheers.

No problems.

Would just keep an eye open going down the other side of Red Hill,along Baden Powell and the main road in Woodstock

Quite safe

Head off up the west coast across to Malmesbury,Stellenbosch and back will give you your 200 Kay's