Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Thanks DJR and LOUDMAC, this definitely was the right place to ask!

I also got a private message answer to my questions, so I'm feeling pretty secure (and reeeaaally anxious) about riding on the coast bit of that route.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tourist

What Loudmac said makes sense: Start your ride from Green Point or the Cape Town Waterfront and do the Argus route in reverse. In other words: Ride Southwards along the Atlantic coast (very beautiful and safe) all the way to Cape Point (where the Atlantic and the Indian oceans meet). Then back via Simons Town and the False Bay coast (also very beautiful and safe) and from there link up with the first part of your ride going back along the same route you did earlier. This way you do the same distance ( about 110 - 120 km) on the most beautiful part of it and you do not have to worry about your safety, except for the usual traffic issues. Early in the morning the road will be quieter than later during the day. You will also pass a few nice coffee shops and even a good bike shop. I don't hesitate doing this route alone.

DJR: u remind me of a question i've been meaning to pose: why dont they run the argus route in reverse every alternate year?

DJR: u remind me of a question i've been meaning to pose: why dont they run the argus route in reverse every alternate year?

It is easier to close up Nelson Mandela Drive from 5am to 11am, than to have it closed from 8am to 6pm. I can also just imagine the chaos on the turn at Victoria Road as you enter Bantry Bay with 300+ riders taking their first turn of the race. It should also make for interesting viewing watching the racing bunches taking the Boyes Drive turn at Fish Hoek.

Hi Tourist

What Loudmac said makes sense: Start your ride from Green Point or the Cape Town Waterfront and do the Argus route in reverse. In other words: Ride Southwards along the Atlantic coast (very beautiful and safe) all the way to Cape Point (where the Atlantic and the Indian oceans meet). Then back via Simons Town and the False Bay coast (also very beautiful and safe) and from there link up with the first part of your ride going back along the same route you did earlier. This way you do the same distance ( about 110 - 120 km) on the most beautiful part of it and you do not have to worry about your safety, except for the usual traffic issues. Early in the morning the road will be quieter than later during the day. You will also pass a few nice coffee shops and even a good bike shop. I don't hesitate doing this route alone.

i would avoid the Ocean View hill and would rather ride down to Kommetjie and over the pass. i agree, a spectacular ride with even some detours, like up Red Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Veni, vidi, cycli!

Found riding company here at the hub for the most spectacular ride in my life :drool:

Great roads, hills, views, weather, everything! If I come to CT again, will definitely rent a bike for the entire visit!

• 4 months later...

Commuting to Tokai and surrounds:

The below is from the local Neighborhood Watch website. Please be careful out there, it seems as though the scum are on their way :cursing:

"I had an incident early yesterday morning whereby somebody attempted to steal my mountain bike whilst I was riding to the Tokai forest, and I thought it might be wise to alert all NWs who might be able to warn other cyclists who do the same.

The car approaches and beckons you closer almost to ask for directions, and then they attempt to steal your bike.

I was approached on Spaansgemacht Rd outside Peddlars yesterday (Sunday), morning at 07h10, but as I had an uneasy feeling I turned and bolted, and thanks to the involvement of a passing motorist who came to my assistance, the other car drove away. The driver of this car was on his phone, most likely liaising with others in the vicinity.

Two weeks back a friend of mine had a similar experience at the Manor House in the forest, and he was quick enough to dart back into the school and the guard at the boom would not let the car through.

These guys have realized that there is value in modern mountain bikes, and it would be great if you could mention a warning in future correspondence to other cyclists."

The below is from the local Neighborhood Watch website. Please be careful out there, it seems as though the scum are on their way :cursing:

"I had an incident early yesterday morning whereby somebody attempted to steal my mountain bike whilst I was riding to the Tokai forest, and I thought it might be wise to alert all NWs who might be able to warn other cyclists who do the same.

The car approaches and beckons you closer almost to ask for directions, and then they attempt to steal your bike.

I was approached on Spaansgemacht Rd outside Peddlars yesterday (Sunday), morning at 07h10, but as I had an uneasy feeling I turned and bolted, and thanks to the involvement of a passing motorist who came to my assistance, the other car drove away. The driver of this car was on his phone, most likely liaising with others in the vicinity.

Two weeks back a friend of mine had a similar experience at the Manor House in the forest, and he was quick enough to dart back into the school and the guard at the boom would not let the car through.

These guys have realized that there is value in modern mountain bikes, and it would be great if you could mention a warning in future correspondence to other cyclists."

Thanks for the heads up... I often cycle to Tokai and most of the times I have been on my own! Will remember this in the future!

Thanks Pain or Shine. A sobering reminder that you can never let your guard down or become complacent about safety.

I'd like to know more. The driver of the car calls you over to ask for directions , and then.......? Are there guys who jump out and try and take the bike? Do they have weapons? A gun? What's the full modus operandi? From the account given, it sounds like a car approached, the rider had an uneasy feeling and got out of there. In fact, no crime committed.

I would like to know whether the car outside Peddlers and the Manor House was the same one. Description of the occupant or occupants. Numberplate details. Make, model and colour of the car.

As a member of the NW in Tamboerskloof, we are always careful about what information we put out there. We check the facts to make sure we get accurate information to the public at large.

• 3 months later...

There is an article in yesterday's EikestadNuus about Hendrik Lemmer being attacked on the R44 just outside Welgevonden. Eric Kleinhans is also interviewed. The local police say that they don't think there is a problem because no charges are being laid.

There is an article in yesterday's EikestadNuus about Hendrik Lemmer being attacked on the R44 just outside Welgevonden. Eric Kleinhans is also interviewed. The local police say that they don't think there is a problem because no charges are being laid.

Think I'm gonna ditch my Pepper Spray in favor of my trusty 9mm. (note to self, remember to pick up all spent cartridge casings, leave no evidence) devil.gif devil.gif

• 8 months later...

Be carefull on the cycletrack going over the bridge in Paardeneiland.Some mother has stolen the metal cover on top of the bridge leaving a ditch about 30cm.This happened between 5.15pm and 5.45pm yesterday

Thanks Pain or Shine. A sobering reminder that you can never let your guard down or become complacent about safety.

Yeah, trust No-One!!!