Joburg danger areas

Evan Andreou

Shees this thread is scary. Know I remember why I down scaled my cycling and started running. Only problem is I have a running injury but can still cycle :) so what comes after plan b ?

What comes after plan B for me is the Tacx online virtual trainers.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hijacked on Tuesday (27/05) morning at 05:30 on Juno Street (

the steep climb behind Darras center in Kennsington).

Both assaultants were armed. Walked into the road and cocked the pistol in my face. Dumped the bike and made a run for it. They caught me and took my phone and money.

This route is used by many cyclists for hill training.

Alive but battered and bruised

Hope they rot in hell! Sorry to hear, glad you're ok.

Our office is moving to Bryanston mid June. What is the safety like on William Nicole, Sandton Drive (uphills there), Rivonia, Oxford, Bompas, Rosebank areas? I usually ride alone as I start at 04:00.

Lido Loop - TRUCKS, TRUCKS and more TRUCKS!!

Do not ride by yourself or in groups less than four!!! Watch out for thugs by the 'trees' and before the bridge after the steps!!

ooopppps i often ride that route on my own, time for a change i guess

Hijacked on Tuesday (27/05) morning at 05:30 on Juno Street (

the steep climb behind Darras center in Kennsington).

Both assaultants were armed. Walked into the road and cocked the pistol in my face. Dumped the bike and made a run for it. They caught me and took my phone and money.

This route is used by many cyclists for hill training.

Alive but battered and bruised

Jeez. Glad you are OK. I live around the corner from Juno behind Jeppe Girls. Thanks for the warning

hi guys

dont know the area well but in Isando near the airport theres a road which collapsed and is under repair. a father and his two kids were riding there and the son who was ahead of tthem was mugged. the problem is you get off the bike and walk through to cross the area. this is the second incident i heard of near that area.

• 5 weeks later...

Reported by Wolfram Zwecker on ebw Cycle Support Group on Facebook

Hi guys.

Three accused (26, 28 and 38) charged with the rape of a 26 year old cyclist were denied bail in the Kempton Park regional court today.

These are the guys who held up the brother and sister who were out riding their bikes near the Benoni offramp on the R21 highway to Pta.

They tied them up and later raped the sister. A week later, with the help of eBlockwatch and Andre, they were arrested.

No info was given about num 1, (he did not apply for bail) but 2 and 3 are serious jailbirds.

Num 2 has been convicted 10 (ten) times since 1993, num 3 about 8 times.

The case has been postponed to 18 July awaiting DNA results. All 3 have made confessions and pointed out the crime scene so the case looks good. It will be heard in the highcourt. Gang rape carries a life (25 years) sentence. "Normal" rape is 15.

The 10 cases of theft/robberies in the kempton area, where cyclists were robbed of their bikes do not look so rosy. None of the suspects were ID at the ID parade, so they can only be charged with being in possession of stolen goods. (and a bike, even worth thousands, is not high on our magistrates list as worst evils).

They are being charged in the Tembisa regional courts.

Moral of the story, if you get robbed, try (easily said) and get as much info of the robber, as possible. Afterwards keep in touch with the investigating officer (easier said than done).

If they could have ID' the robbers, a case of organized crime could have been build, going from Tembisa (Kempton) all the way back to Mozambique. That would have meant a sentence of 10/15 years, now we are looking at a slap on the wrist.

THEY DESERVE NOTHING LESS THAN DEATH! I WISH WITH ALL MY HEART THAT BIKEJACKERS GET SHOT DEAD....after suffering first...

Anyone riding at the Melville Koppies area, watch out for the MASSIVE pile of plastic up there. There are always dodgy homeless guys staring at you when you ride past them..Also by the cave where they sit and play dice/ drink is not a good place to ride..ride with peeps that are packing extra lunch for their toasters...bang bang.

Edited by Undun

THEY DESERVE NOTHING LESS THAN DEATH! I WISH WITH ALL MY HEART THAT BIKEJACKERS GET SHOT DEAD....after suffering first...

for these repeat offenders that use our judicial system as a truck stop - the only hope for such savage bastards is they try escape from the courts - grabbing at the cops gun or something - giving the cops a valid reason to use lethal force to remove them once and for all. I have no empathy for these type of people occupying the same earth that I do.

• 2 weeks later...

for these repeat offenders that use our judicial system as a truck stop - the only hope for such savage bastards is they try escape from the courts - grabbing at the cops gun or something - giving the cops a valid reason to use lethal force to remove them once and for all. I have no empathy for these type of people occupying the same earth that I do.

Time is coming for vigilante groups to start up ***SERIOUSLY*** One that caters for the removal of people that are rapists,removal of people that are bike jackers , removal of people that are kiddy fiddlers, the removal of people that are animal abusers especially people that fight Dogs!!! Honestly time has come. Things need to be done, The Law needs to be bent slightly like the taxi drivers do.

• 2 months later...

Just see it on Facebook under Bicycle safety

Steve Gale
11 hrs
Just a note, a friend and I (both males) were bike jacked on the Melville mtb trail by 3 men this afternoon. Be aware and on the lookout if up there in a small group, they were very aggressive.

• 2 weeks later...

How is the Spruit in terms of cycling safety these days? Haven't ridden the Spruit in a while, keen to do so again. Any dangerous incidents or encounters recently?

• 4 weeks later...

Visit our hot-spots page at http://www.stolenbik...a/hotspots.html

We are happy to add to this if you let us have detailed information of the area and incident.

A way to keep tabs on dangerous areas

According to this website Cape Town is worse than Joburg, ha ha...That goes against the expected.

• 3 months later...

Attempted bike jacking out near Lanseria yesterday afternoon, around 4:30pm. At the broken bridge crossing over the Krokodil near Blair Atholl.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//-25.9142888,27.9074536/@-25.915495,27.906209,1625m/data=!3m1!1e3

Been riding there for years and never had any incidents in the general area, the guy looked like a chancer - saw me dismounting and crossing and decided to see what he could get away with. Threatening to kill me with rocks he picked up after knocking me off my bike just after crossing (otherwise unarmed). Phone rang in the middle and pretended it was someone who was around the corner,  coming down to the bridge, managed to hop on the bike and pedal away with his uncertainty.

Going to skip that section when riding alone from now on.