The (un)official single speed thread....

rock

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Hi all, looking for advice on single speed gear ratio for off road. Been riding road for years but somehow I think the 48 x 14 won't cut it on steep gravel climbs.. 

I'm looking at 32 x 18. Anyone have any experience with this ratio off road?

Hi all, looking for advice on single speed gear ratio for off road. Been riding road for years but somehow I think the 48 x 14 won't cut it on steep gravel climbs.. 

I'm looking at 32 x 18. Anyone have any experience with this ratio off road?

Depends on how strong you are and how good you are at very fast and very slow cadence riding.

32x18 is a great all-round gear to start with, but buy 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20t cogs and you have a gear for anything. 

Depends on how strong you are and how good you are at very fast and very slow cadence riding.

32x18 is a great all-round gear to start with, but buy 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20t cogs and you have a gear for anything. 

Rad, thanks Nick! Been riding fixed gear on the road for a few years so I am used to various cadence riding. I'll start with the 32 x 18 and go from there. The other side of the hub as a 14t fixed cog for the flats :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, I know you .... stop being a woes a ride that MTB SS on at least a 36x15t :P

Rad, thanks Nick! Been riding fixed gear on the road for a few years so I am used to various cadence riding. I'll start with the 32 x 18 and go from there. The other side of the hub as a 14t fixed cog for the flats :)

• 1 month later...

Im looking at getting a road fixie/single speed. Will use it to cycle around the block with my kid, and do the odd race. So flip flop hub is a must.

Current options is a Specialized Langster or a Rook Race. Any other options? Preferably not all out track geometry.

if you are patient, and most likely willing to spend a little more cash, I know that the ROOK boy's are getting Cinelli frames in soon'ish ...... 

if you are patient, and most likely willing to spend a little more cash, I know that the ROOK boy's are getting Cinelli frames in soon'ish ......

Oooh

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...