Time to make Think Bike work for you

HeadMarshal

The only thing that will get anyones attention about the issue is some form of mass protest by cyclists: like a mass cycle and/or sit-down/blocking off some major road or intersection. I can even give toi toi lessons if you want lol.?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about talking to Shan Hannie from Sign Up? I reckon if the two initiaves combine on some level, we'd see  some beneficial results for sure!

To start of with, the poles the sign boards are mounted on could have a think bike sticker attached. Thus improving visibility and branding....

EWEP, saw you on Sat morning directing traffis!!

Paul, thanks for your comments and your commitment, I for one know the huge difference you TB guys make in our Gauteng races. Before each race I make a point of meeting the marshalls who will be in the road with me and I believe we work really well together, and the more we communicate and know what to expect of each other, the better it works! (and I have thanked TB many a time on this forum after races Smile)

Now can I please get a sticker for my car???

Lynne

Wanted to post last night after reading Gatiepie and some other worthless responses of thick cyclists to the Thinkbike initiative.

It's not about changing Think Bike's logo, stickers, vests. Get it through your thick heads. It's about an invitation to join an already successful awareness campaign. In a way, we're already included in their movement, but we're too stubborn to accept help.

You remember what their sticker looks like albeit ugly in your opinion. They have an accesible web-site,  Think bike stickers everywhere, riders on the road wearing the bright yellow vests, etc, being responsible road users.

Danger Dassie's idea of combining the 'sign-up' project is going in the right direction.  

How about talking to Shan Hannie from Sign Up? I reckon if the two initiaves combine on some level' date=' we'd see? some beneficial results for sure!

To start of with, the poles the sign boards are mounted on could have a think bike sticker attached. Thus improving visibility and branding....

?

EWEP, saw you on Sat morning?directing traffis!!
[/quote']

I have a sticker and will go on sale next week. Sorry Think bike for the hijack!!

20100310_024506_Share_the_Road_.jpg

Ewep' date=' I haven't been able to do the club rides this year so far. February was a hectic month with exams. But the times I do ride I always raise my hand in thanks. You guys do a great job making our club rides safer! Especially at Witkoppen and Cedar! Which intersection are you normally at?[/quote']

Cedar and the first Stop at Lanseria (if possible). Come say howzit next time!

Definitely will do that!

The only thing that will get anyones attention about the issue is some form of mass protest by cyclists: like a mass cycle and/or sit-down/blocking off some major road or intersection. I can even give toi toi lessons if you want lol. 

That would be an ok idea but would have to be done through the legal process. And they irritate more motorists by the protest. People are irritated when taxi's protest and block roads. If cyclists did it then it would probably be "adding fuel to the fire" by irritating motorists who are already irritated by cyclists!

I do both - motorcycles and bicycles. I also have the occasional spat with cyclists when I am on my bike and vice versa. Thing is its a specific biker/cyclist or a specific bunch! It's not ALL of them for f's sake.

There are some assholes wearing thinkbike bibs - same as there are a couple of assholes on bicycles. I can say the same for taxi's and trucks - some are dildos but most not.

Thinkbike are quite passionate about what they do - pretty well I might add. But remember - its a broad spectrum from all walks of life - just like the Hub. Some things you will agree with others not.

Now here is an oke offering you/me/us a partnership in an already working organisation that has our common interests (health) covered. What do we want to do - change it?? Confused

If you want changes then change it - JOIN them and become a power within. If you are waiting for something better to come past then I suggest that you dont hold your breath for too long - it's not coming. These okes live Thinkbike and really walk the walk rather than prattle on - like I am doing nowBig%20smile

The only thing that will get anyones attention about the issue is some form of mass protest by cyclists: like a mass cycle and/or sit-down/blocking off some major road or intersection. I can even give toi toi lessons if you want lol. 

That would be an ok idea but would have to be done through the legal process. And they irritate more motorists by the protest. People are irritated when taxi's protest and block roads. If cyclists did it then it would probably be "adding fuel to the fire" by irritating motorists who are already irritated by cyclists!

That is what the Argus is. Lets all remember that it started as a protest ride and on Sunday it will become that again. We are reclaiming the streets for one day in order to create awareness of cycling. Irritating at first, but ultimately a landmark event and the biggest one of it's kind in the world.

i support the cause' date=' but i wont put the sticker on my car cause its flippen ugly.. no offense :)

[/quote']

So instead of moaning, come up with something you are happy with, go on I dare you, double dare you.

mail to stranger@thinkbike.co.za

Wanted to post last night after reading Gatiepie and some other worthless responses of thick cyclists to the Thinkbike initiative.

It's not about changing Think Bike's logo' date=' stickers, vests. Get it through your thick heads. It's about an invitation to join an already successful awareness campaign. In a way, we're already included in their movement, but we're too stubborn to accept help.

You remember what their sticker looks like albeit ugly in your opinion. They have an accesible web-site,  Think bike stickers everywhere, riders on the road wearing the bright yellow vests, etc, being responsible road users.

Danger Dassie's idea of combining the 'sign-up' project is going in the right direction.  
[/quote']

Sho, now I am getting goosebumps

I do both - motorcycles and bicycles. I also have the occasional spat with cyclists when I am on my bike and vice versa. Thing is its a specific biker/cyclist or a specific bunch! It's not ALL of them for f's sake.

There are some assholes wearing thinkbike bibs - same as there are a couple of assholes on bicycles. I can say the same for taxi's and trucks - some are dildos but most not.

Thinkbike are quite passionate about what they do - pretty well I might add. But remember - its a broad spectrum from all walks of life - just like the Hub. Some things you will agree with others not.

Now here is an oke offering you/me/us a partnership in an already working organisation that has our common interests (health) covered. What do we want to do - change it?? Confused

If you want changes then change it - JOIN them and become a power within. If you are waiting for something better to come past then I suggest that you dont hold your breath for too long - it's not coming. These okes live Thinkbike and really walk the walk rather than prattle on - like I am doing nowBig%20smile

thank you for that, we are passionate about road safety, the reason for this post is to prod and poke some of you guys into getting involved, we already have a cycling discussion board on our forum and want to see some of you representing our mutual concerns and solving common problems.

While I was still a cyclist I thought that TB was a lot of dwang, a lot of people on bikes, wearing bibs, etc and still jaaging around on their bikes.  On joining I realised that this is not the case.  As Stranger has said, TB is an AWARENESS campaign.  TB is not a policing forum or a "we are holier than though" group.  As a cyclist and a biker I have transgressed some rules, and I have to live with it.  TB is there to get the OTHER party to open their eyes, whether that be biker, cyclists, trucker, bus driver, car driver!!!!  If I, as a TB member, can get one guy to realise what dangers there are for us (the 2 wheel clan) and he tells his wife, in laws and parents then we have 6 more people looking out for us.

Shaun, great sticker, but won't it be a good idea to rather "use" the already successfull TB camp?  Everyone knows the TB sticker, the butt ugly yellow thing.  And because it's so ugly, everyone recognises it, and it's free.

Finally, a question from my side.  I would like to get an indications of whether you as a cylists would be willing to pay for a reflective vest, aka bib, for training rides.  Not the TB ones (you'll get dehydrated on a bicycle in that thing) but the same principal?  By wearing this you'll be (1) more visible and (2) "spreading the word".

ewep, like I mentioned I apologise for hijacking this thread and no malice was intended.

The reason for the seperate sticker is that Sign-Up relies on sponsorship & donations and this was one way of getting some much needed funds. As you are aware, I was one of the guys that attended the first Think Bike cyclists meeting. I believe that Sign-Up can work with Think Bike and I am having a meeting next month with CGC as they have asked me to help with the Think Bike CGC campaign. Hope this makes sense.

It does indeed Shaun, carry on the good work. I know that you will bring us in where it is mutually benficial