The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

I suppose I'll soon have to post this elsewhere, because they are growing up all too fast and they now ride up to the Devils Peak Blockhouse without me having to wait for them. However, like when they were little, they still believe it doesn't count if you don't touch the Blockhouse.

post-17716-0-72589600-1400504583_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miyagi style

Fundamentals.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AhRO_bucket/20131117_113305_zps3046ebb0.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AhRO_bucket/20131117_113259_zpsbb2ae465.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x309/AhRO_bucket/20131117_113350_zps2a86a61c.jpg

Edited by YUMEYA

Has anyone taken their kid to the pump track just below UCT?

How kid friendly is it?

Has anyone taken their kid to the pump track just below UCT?

How kid friendly is it?

Not very littlies friendly. It is proper dirt jumping more than pump track. It used to be more pump-track-like, but the jumps are now really very BMX or Jump Bike specific. (They don't work for normal mtbs anymore.) So, for older kids getting into jumping, it is good, but perhaps not the place to learn at the very start. (Also interested to hear what others think of this)

Unless of course you have kiddies like the 2 Kiwis above :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

Not very littlies friendly. It is proper dirt jumping more than pump track. It used to be more pump-track-like, but the jumps are now really very BMX or Jump Bike specific. (They don't work for normal mtbs anymore.) So, for older kids getting into jumping, it is good, but perhaps not the place to learn at the very start. (Also interested to hear what others think of this)

As far as my research goes most people actually encourage you to take the kids to a bmx track with big jumps before they can jump. Just to roll over the jumps and acclimatise to the orientation of the fiets when taking off and landing.

In my skateboarding days the thing that most late beginners got wrong was their centre of gravity when launching and landing.

That being said...99.999% of my research was around bmx racing. We live in "Ve Souf" so the alrode track is 5 minutes away.

So Ty's cub/Scout pack had a relay ride to raise cash for the hall.

I took just a few pics, but here's the one that I really thought was cool.

The kid painted it himself, I thought it was the coolest bike I have seen in a long time. Back peddle break only, the kids got style...

post-53966-1400932454,6346.jpg

post-53966-1400932554,4132.jpg

My boy's 1st trip down Fairy Garden in Tokai.

Huge success!

Thats a great place to start and before too long you will be wondering how it is you cant keep up with him on the snake trails.