The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Definitely worth it. Still use mine with the four year old laaitie (and his little sister). Don't tell his mom/judge my reckless parenting, but I often take him down g-spot here in Stellies... He really enjoys it, shouting "whooohooo, this is FUN!" die hele pad af. He quickly learnt to "HOU VAS!"

My little girl (2) is starting to enjoy it too. I found that on the first rides, when she was about 20 months, she struggled to hold the handlebar properly. But you simply adjust what you attempt to ride to what the kid can safely handle.

Thanks Patensie,

will go past Sportmans Warehouse today.

No judgement from my side   :-)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely worth it. Still use mine with the four year old laaitie (and his little sister). Don't tell his mom/judge my reckless parenting, but I often take him down g-spot here in Stellies... He really enjoys it, shouting "whooohooo, this is FUN!" die hele pad af. He quickly learnt to "HOU VAS!"

My little girl (2) is starting to enjoy it too. I found that on the first rides, when she was about 20 months, she struggled to hold the handlebar properly. But you simply adjust what you attempt to ride to what the kid can safely handle.

Think I must get me one of those. Currently the fixed seat is on my wife's bike, so I take her bike when it's just me and the kids, and when the wife is along, she lets me hear it about how big our girl has grown since last week... :ph34r:

Also I think it must be a bit more comfortable for them, as they sit over the front shock vs over the hard rear axle?

Hi all

Sorry, I havent been particularly diligent at keeping up to date with this thread, so please excuse me if this has been discussed...

My boy is now just over two. but he is a big, tall boy (95cm) who is very 'daring' on his plastic bike (normal three wheeled plastic bike from Westpack), but seeming to get a little bored on it unless he is going down a steep hill or riding on a thin line of bricks (i.e. the wall).

Yesterday, he tried out a friend's Y-Bike, and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit (although he already looks a bit big for the Y-Bike).

Is he too young to start with a balance bike, like a 'Strider'? Or should I be spending the money on such...

Hi all

Sorry, I havent been particularly diligent at keeping up to date with this thread, so please excuse me if this has been discussed...

My boy is now just over two. but he is a big, tall boy (95cm) who is very 'daring' on his plastic bike (normal three wheeled plastic bike from Westpack), but seeming to get a little bored on it unless he is going down a steep hill or riding on a thin line of bricks (i.e. the wall).

Yesterday, he tried out a friend's Y-Bike, and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit (although he already looks a bit big for the Y-Bike).

Is he too young to start with a balance bike, like a 'Strider'? Or should I be spending the money on such...

Get him one. NOW. 

Nah, if he is that adventurous, think a Strider will be good. He'll fall a few times, but that is how they learn. Got my son a pedal bike for his 4th birthday, and he ditched the training wheels within the week. You'll be amazed how fast they learn.

Hi all

Mine got his strider/walker bike on his 2nd B-day. 

They learn quick-quick. 

Go and get it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

80398cc5314ba9c05152fa084828f6a0.jpg

26fb09be24110fc5bc5cb2fbb446d37a.jpg

Out with my 12 year old son last weekend. He's got some good speed going, technically very competent and just loves to ride. Nothing better than riding with him.

my youngest is 5 years old ... .on his bicycle and/or black motorbike, has also taken to putting his hands up in the air .... even when going down the driveway at a speed that, if his mother had to see, would drive her to start drinking copious amounts of alcohol to cope with the stress!

Starting her early...she may need a smaller bike....lol

She doesn't seem impressed. I think she'll be happier on the trance.

my youngest is 5 years old ... .on his bicycle and/or black motorbike, has also taken to putting his hands up in the air .... even when going down the driveway at a speed that, if his mother had to see, would drive her to start drinking copious amounts of alcohol to cope with the stress!

They are wreckless at that age. My daughter, 4, is already getting 'aero' on her JDbug. Meneertjie. At almost 2, likes ramps and declines on his plastic bike so he doesn't have to use his legs to scoot along. Many times I see him wobble down the drive way with one rear wheel in the air if he takes a bend. Took a few tumbles. Bumps and bruises. Snot and traane. But now I see his recovery is good. He puts a foot out for balance and quickly stomps to bring the bike back upright. He also puts both feet on the front wheel to brake. Lunatics.

I think they have no sense of  fear  at that age. Although if I look at what mine get up to maybe its just no sense.....

Although if I look at what mine get up to maybe its just no sense.....

Thought I had mine potty trained last week . . . .

This morning the wife phones and says he went and crapped in the garden. . . :cursing: :eek:  :nuke:  :oops:  :offtopic:

Edited by IH8MUD

This morning the wife phones and says he went and crapped in the garden. . . :cursing: :eek:  :nuke:  :oops:  :offtopic:

Ha ha. At least it was the garden. 

Mine went through a stage of taking all his  clothes off at every opportunity and running  around.  Luckily Winter's arrival cured him off that habit and he got out of it by the next Summer.

If he got his kit off in time then he did a good job and the training is working..... and he will grow out of using the garden - be patient... :)

My wife is pulling her hair out about the dead spots in the grass.... don't have the heart to tell her it's from my 5y/o peeing on the lawn (she did tell him it was ok) ... so train yours to pee in the flowerbeds, not on the grass....