The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Noisemaker - indeed! The LOUDEST sound on earth (brick paving) on a Sunday afternoon after braai and beer!   Haven't heard a nuclear explosion though, but cannot imagine that being much louder! Luckily noise = fun!    

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, DJR said:

Noisemaker - indeed! The LOUDEST sound on earth (brick paving) on a Sunday afternoon after braai and beer!   Haven't heard a nuclear explosion though, but cannot imagine that being much louder! Luckily noise = fun!    

Yip ... so true that, hated by campers all over the land!

11 hours ago, Pieter1 said:

Mine is 114 cm at the moment and weighs around 26.
I did not realize how big the 24” is until I had him on it 😂 
I’m also thinking I should get the best within reason because he will definitely be on it for a few years.  

i know you said he was 4, but so i middled it at 4.5.

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Boys_2-18_years_growth_chart.pdf

he'd be >99th percentile, if he was british, so clearly you're used to buying bigger things at a younger age,

Myself and another dad was discussion some of the bikes we see at the schools series up here in GP.

You can clearly see who is there for fun, and who means business. Interesting also, is that in the Sub Nipper class, the bikes vary from 14 to 24", I'm sure there's even some small 29rs in there.

My 7 year old, currently on a 20" Titan, had a go on the spare 24" we have but it is still a little big, stopping is definitely a challenge. Also, he doesn't seem to bother with the 7 speeds gears on the 20", but rather set and forget and rides it like a single speed

1 hour ago, WR 1.0 said:

Myself and another dad was discussion some of the bikes we see at the schools series up here in GP.

You can clearly see who is there for fun, and who means business. Interesting also, is that in the Sub Nipper class, the bikes vary from 14 to 24", I'm sure there's even some small 29rs in there.

My 7 year old, currently on a 20" Titan, had a go on the spare 24" we have but it is still a little big, stopping is definitely a challenge. Also, he doesn't seem to bother with the 7 speeds gears on the 20", but rather set and forget and rides it like a single speed

We noted over a few years with the school series, and weekend rides with kids and parents, that gears is "problematic" .... specifically primary school kids.

Kids seems to get the hang of the gears on the "training rides".

As soon as the ride gets busy, anf they get tired .... nope, gears are long forgotten.

Those that get to grips with the gears, in the heat of the battle, are the ones destined for podium.

Our eldest received his Titan Racing 20inch at 5 1/2 years.

Upgraded to the 24inch at age 7.

My initial planning was to ride the 20 inch for a few years, skip 24 and go to 26.

The jump to 26 is definitely not on at age 7, that 10cm is to much and was also surprise by the size change from 20 to 24.

Our first MTB school league on the way home the wife tells me, Markus should get bigger wheels, it was a "nice" 600km drive and the reason for the 24inch, 6 months before Christmas.

My sister`s boy inherited the 20inch at age 4 1/2, he is a big strong boy and only the brake levers that does not fit. 

My youngest, age 4, is still on his 16 inch with training wheels at our house...last Sunday the other two is showing off their riding skills at my mothers house, Tom jumps on the forgotten 16 inch Norco and ride a few laps, gets off and content to ride with his father on his Feva.

Riding on the menu for tonight!

PS. Replacing the 20 with 24, could not help to think back to @ChrisF comments of 15-18months new size, luckily there is 3 boys. Planning to sell the two 16inch to fund the next 20 inch.

Is anyone else's kid on an e-bike? 😎

Just waiting for the stone-throwing to die down...

My kid rides and likes it, but her focus is on other sports and cultural activities, so for us riding is a way of spending time together - mostly to go say hi to all the cats and dogs in the neighbourhood. But, managed to get her on a Titan Racing Charge and now she rides cause she WANTS to ride. We've done Jonkers a couple of times, Bethlehem Farm, Sruisbaai to the Lighthouse, etc. It's changed the riding dynamic as she can easily ride wherever we'd like to or need to go and back and it's pure fun the whole time. All of this means we're riding together a lot more than before and she's grown to like cycling. 

untitled-6674.jpg.06b274dd3c04324469e3362c4e87d4da.jpg

1 hour ago, Iwan Kemp said:

My kid rides and likes it, but her focus is on other sports and cultural activities, so for us riding is a way of spending time together - mostly to go say hi to all the cats and dogs in the neighbourhood. But, managed to get her on a Titan Racing Charge and now she rides cause she WANTS to ride. We've done Jonkers a couple of times, Bethlehem Farm, Sruisbaai to the Lighthouse, etc. It's changed the riding dynamic as she can easily ride wherever we'd like to or need to go and back and it's pure fun the whole time. All of this means we're riding together a lot more than before and she's grown to like cycling. 

Seeing a couple of kids and parents at the Leat skills park on ebikes.  The modern version of the family doing motoX ....

2 hours ago, Iwan Kemp said:

I have zero issue with this, more people on bikes is better

3 hours ago, Iwan Kemp said:

Iwan, think this option is in my future…little Tom knows about stones and birds his dad has no clue about. Seen some great specials on those models!

Enjoy your riding time together!

Edited by DJuice

Anyone know of some nice gloves I can get for my 1.5 year old? We are having lots of fun with the Feva seat, but some mornings are a bit cold and then his hands freeze. Wouldn't want something thick as then he wouldn't be able to grip the bar.