Chain cleaning Johan Bornman vs Bicycling

Jaco Steyn

What's the best way to clean a cassette ?

Take off bike' date=' dump in engine cleaner.  Maklik ne.

[/quote']

But that means I have to go & buy a cassette removal thingimabob.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Thug as a roadie you need such a mechanical device! Those okes chop and change as the terrain requires unlike the dirt guys who ride anything with what they got!

In fact some of them end up with gearing similar to MTB's in the end! As LittleBen reminds me continuously, Camelbacks and triple chainrings belong on MTB's not road bikes. Roadbikes with triple chainrings are for girls!

And why would you wanna take your freewheel of ?? To service it I hope not , it is like servicing the Coil on your car !!!

take the cluster OFF the bike when you clean it, or else you run the risk of destroying the freewheel and hub, wheb the degreaser gets into that.

From the Prepsol dealers .

And that would normally be your local Midas . Motorbike shops also luvs the stuff .

We all have ways that we believe works.....still use the toothbrush + Kleen Green method on chain (on the bike)' date=' spray the sprocket with the Kleen Green.  Allow 10 minutes, then rinse with water, dry, clean with cloth, re-lube, wipe off excess.  Have done this for years, get around 10 000k's per road chain.  Present MTB chain has done about 3 000 k's, still OK.

[/quote']

this is exactly the method i use, and works for me.

I didnt see the show, but I know Johann well, his mechanical knowledge is excellant and he has been doing this for years, he studies things carefully and his suggestions and advice are carefully considered, personally I would lean heavily towards his suggestions and advice.

Still the easiest method is:

Step one: wheel bike in a forward motion towards your LBS

Step two: Give clear instructions to apron clad mechanic looking person (normaly  found in back of LBS) 'check and clean chain"

Step three; Leave for 24 hrs

Step four: Return and collect bike. This tried and tested method, prevents grease stains on the lounge floor (and the trusty sofa). This method is ideal for the mechanicaly inept.

What degreaser did Johan use?

Prepsol

Yeah Prepsol is the bees knees.  Apply it with a brush to your frame, chain, wheels, spokes and especially your disk rotors, leave for about 10seconds to 1 minute, hose off with water and you are done.

You will not believe how your bike will shine and all this takes less than 5 minutes to clean the bike. Your tires will look brand new and black and shiny.

Prepsol works exceptionally well on chains. either method can be used.

shake it in a bottle for a deep clean or just apply with toothbrush and rinse off on the bike.

Your chain will be sparkling in no time.

One word of caution..prepsol is extremely strong so after you have cleaned your chain with it, you HAVE to lube it.  Dont wait for an hour or two or even a day and then lube it. your chain will have no lube on it and being wet from the rinsing it WILL start to rust (specially in the western cape).

Also take care in the areas where there are bearings like the hubs, BB and pedals. Prepsol will strip these of lubrication in no time. it is potent stuff.

Happy cleaning.  Your bike will love you for it.
CaptainDura2007-09-14 03:27:49