Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

Busy building my first SS, this thread has been my inspiration. I used to ride a 2x10 On One Scandal but sold it to buy my Anthem X Advanced. I regret the day. I have just bought an old Merida 29er hardtail frame and am building her up into a single speed, I will post pics once she is done. Chainworx in Durban North are helping me build my project.

I am running 32x18, am a little concerned that I am not strong enough but we will see.

you will be surprised how quickly your riding style adaps and the ratio is a good one to start on

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Busy building my first SS, this thread has been my inspiration. I used to ride a 2x10 On One Scandal but sold it to buy my Anthem X Advanced. I regret the day. I have just bought an old Merida 29er hardtail frame and am building her up into a single speed, I will post pics once she is done. Chainworx in Durban North are helping me build my project.

I am running 32x18, am a little concerned that I am not strong enough but we will see.

I set mine up 34x19. Very close. It's a nice ratio.

I found 32*18 on a 29r a bit heavy for the type of riding I do (mostly Rietvlei and Thaba) and have gone back to my trusty old 32*20 - having said that I have seen some okes with serious big SS gears riding there :o

I found 32*18 on a 29r a bit heavy for the type of riding I do (mostly Rietvlei and Thaba) and have gone back to my trusty old 32*20 - having said that I have seen some okes with serious big SS gears riding there :o

And you don't have baby legs either.

coming from a 34 16 on a 'sixer to 32 x 18 on a naainer, For me the 32 x 18 works perfect.

There are some sections I sometimes have to walk, but each time i go back to try and get up the hill a little further than before, and within a ride or two you will get to the top easily.

32x18 is the best all-round gear for a SS 29er.

32x16 for a fast flat race or a quick jaunt up the spruit, 32x19 for Magalies Monster

32x18 is the best all-round gear for a SS 29er.

32x16 for a fast flat race or a quick jaunt up the spruit, 32x19 for Magalies Monster

Any particular reason why 32 up front and not 34? Marginal clearance improvement. I had no particular reason for going with 34, so just curious.

I live in Durban and we do a ton of climbing down here. I will test the bike over a few weeks and see if I need a ratio change.

Any particular reason why 32 up front and not 34? Marginal clearance improvement. I had no particular reason for going with 34, so just curious.

As generally SS's should be cobbled together with stuff you have lying around in the garade in my case that normally means just using the 'std' middle chainring on some or other triple crank I find in the parts bin ;)

Yip. It 'arcs' at the top off the steerer as opposed to the narrower carbon fork.

Like this arc...

post-15591-1412264688,1543.jpg

That's the 3.0 on in my Singular fork, the fit is tight!