Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

Where is everyone getting the Raceface single cranks from? Prices?

Also looking for a tensioner, I know someone going to the UK, is CRC the best route?

New to SS and right now my build is sitting in parts ????

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is everyone getting the Raceface single cranks from? Prices?

Also looking for a tensioner, I know someone going to the UK, is CRC the best route?

New to SS and right now my build is sitting in parts

Read through this thread and the Single Speed Projects thread. You'll find your answers.

I've ridden with the Ritchey bar and it's not that similar. It basically provides a sweep and allows you to run a shorter stem, but doesn't offer the same hand positioning as the Carnegie.

On One have something better than the Ritchey if your after a similar bar to the Carnegie. Have a look on the On One site at their Mary & Fleegle bars.

Love the Mary's. Seriously considering popping them on my XC frame as well. Singletrack might get a bit more interesting though... :)

This is my first attempt at building a bike by myself. An old trek 4300 frame and fork i stripped and painted, new bb / crankset and headset succesfully installed thanks to google. rest are all old bits n bobs from the mancave / bike room. I have a dmr kit from diald bikes awaiting delivery and have a new chain waiting to get installed too.

Cant believe how much i have learnt about bike maintenance from this really fun project. From Chainline and spindle width to sealed bearings, halflinks, 3/32 chains and crown races. Ive been able to service all my other bikes as a result too! i can highly recommend a similar project to anyone who loves bikes.

Last step is to try and find some cheapie brakes. Anyone have a set of good v brakes and levers / old disc brakes (is mount - i have rotors) lying around i can buy? i have a set of unused road wheels off a scott (alex rims / shimano hubs - 10 spd shimano cassette) i can swop for something decent.

Heres what she looks like so far - the jagerbomb.

post-24920-0-53910700-1356620972_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at building a bike by myself. An old trek 4300 frame and fork i stripped and painted, new bb / crankset and headset succesfully installed thanks to google. rest are all old bits n bobs from the mancave / bike room. I have a dmr kit from diald bikes awaiting delivery and have a new chain waiting to get installed too.

Cant believe how much i have learnt about bike maintenance from this really fun project. From Chainline and spindle width to sealed bearings, halflinks, 3/32 chains and crown races. Ive been able to service all my other bikes as a result too! i can highly recommend a similar project to anyone who loves bikes.

Last step is to try and find some cheapie brakes. Anyone have a set of good v brakes and levers / old disc brakes (is mount - i have rotors) lying around i can buy? i have a set of unused road wheels off a scott (alex rims / shimano hubs - 10 spd shimano cassette) i can swop for something decent.

Heres what she looks like so far - the jagerbomb.

post-24920-0-53910700-1356620972_thumb.jpg

I have some avid 7 levers for you

Been busy. Just got to put the 180 rotor on the front (only mounting bracket in stock is for that size) and bleed the brakes then she is ready to roll on the maiden trails. Paint job not the best so if it does not work out I will send it in. Was a cool project stripping, painting and building it. Hope it knows how to drink n ride :-)

Been busy. Just got to put the 180 rotor on the front (only mounting bracket in stock is for that size) and bleed the brakes then she is ready to roll on the maiden trails. Paint job not the best so if it does not work out I will send it in. Was a cool project stripping, painting and building it. Hope it knows how to drink n ride :-)

Nice Swift!

Looks very much like the tensioner I got on one of the bikes but mine is pulling the chain , looks like you made it to push the chain upwards ?

Looks very much like the tensioner I got on one of the bikes but mine is pulling the chain , looks like you made it to push the chain upwards ?

Better if you can push the chain up - more chain on the rear sprocket... Edited by Ryanpmb

very cool.

how does that tensioner work? no slipping?

just curious to know how is preforms.

Yeah it's a gusset tensioner. It pushes up instead of down. Works a bomb. Just need a very very thin spanner to set it

Better if you can push the chain up - more chain on the rear sprocket...

Had the previous push down before and got the chain a little too long. Slipped going up the concrete strips at VG. Got to the top, took the links out the chain and was ok afterwards (until i snapped the chain 10km later but is was a 9 speed not SS)

Maiden voyage on the new bike tomorrow morning. Should be interesting the brakes need bleeding for sure but they work. Magura brakes run out of blue blood to bleed. If you don't hear from me in a few days u know they failed ha ha

Had the previous push down before and got the chain a little too long. Slipped going up the concrete strips at VG. Got to the top, took the links out the chain and was ok afterwards (until i snapped the chain 10km later but is was a 9 speed not SS)

Maiden voyage on the new bike tomorrow morning. Should be interesting the brakes need bleeding for sure but they work. Magura brakes run out of blue blood to bleed. If you don't hear from me in a few days u know they failed ha ha

Yeah I've run both ways. Also depends on ratio, frame dimensions etc etc.

Haha - nice. Hope to here re the maiden voyage ;)

Those Black Sheeps used to be a dream of mine.

After seeing them in the flesh, I vote Budnitz.

Also the Budnitz I can get in steel.

Meh, just done some reading on Budnitz bikes. Designed (and built) initially by James Bleakley of Black Sheep bicycles and now built, with what looks pretty much like James' original Speedster design, by Lynskey.

Mr. Budnitz would appear to know little about bikes, other than how to market them and make them pretty expensive. To quote his website; "Paul Budnitz is an artist, author, filmmaker, product designer & entrepreneur." As far as design goes, this is what he designs: http://www.kidrobot.com

Black Sheep Speedster pic attached for reference.

All that said, they are very pretty bikes...

post-20033-0-70521800-1357308181_thumb.jpg