Can I use this

ebenvn

I was looking to buy grease (for the crank) from my LBS the weekend, but like most things there the price is just stupid. R150 for propably 3 uses... The guy there did however say I can use any thin grease.

So I went to Midas today - they have a Castrol multi purpose grease which is nice and thin. Can't see why this wont work???

Will work just as fine. Used it in the 15 odd years I took part in cycling and the 10 years before that my dad used it on my bikes I cycled home on.

I know you get a red grease as well that works great for BB's bearings as well as seatposts.

what do you mean? which part of the crank?

The top part, dont you grease the top part??????

Will work just as fine. Used it in the 15 odd years I took part in cycling and the 10 years before that my dad used it on my bikes I cycled home on.

I know you get a red grease as well that works great for BB's bearings as well as seatposts.

I think this is red rubber grease we use on the bushes on the 4x4's etc, anywhere rubber touches metal.

I just use Castrol LMX grease, and here and there some copper slip, both products are around R30-40 each.

I am changing over to Marine grease. It is blue in colour and thicker than normal grease. It should hold out better than normal grease.

I am changing over to Marine grease. It is blue in colour and thicker than normal grease. It should hold out better than normal grease.

Like I said, LBS said it must be thin. But Marine grease should (i guess) also be better in wet conditions, so I like the idea!

Still trying to figure out what you guys are greasing on the cranks

I,m still trying to figure out what kind of crank they are on about.

Religious crank, Medical crank, Crank caller, Meth....????

{Try bearings, shaft (can one use that word MODS?), threads ...noob}

Check out Sportmans Warehouse I think I saw some bike-specific Grease toobs there plus the small grease gun which the tube screws onto - very handy ( I got my from CRC)

Still trying to figure out what you guys are greasing on the cranks

The middle plastic part in the middle of the BB.

Really important to drown that with heaps of the greasy stuff.

:lol:

I stand to be corrected here, but Lithium based Grease eats rubber parts :thumbdown:

I serviced my RST MOZO Pro 3.5'' spring/elastomer fork with some stuff I got for 10bucks ad midas, a month later my elastomers had all failed, o-rings expanded and broke pieces just broke off.

So just watch that stuff. Dont even know If it still exists though.. It was black grease, probably for car bearings :D