Whose your granny?

Just Keep Pedaling

Is the granny gear cog really neccessary for mountain biking?

I have been purposely riding without it on the last few rides - in my opinion it is not needed.

Nah, you don't need it. Toughen the f*&k up, ride two up front and a 13-23 at the back. Works on my mtb.

triples and grannies are for losers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How steep is that little jaunt out of Vic Bay?

If Vic Bay = Victoria Bay then that would be 9%. No granny gear required ;)

I have no granny :(

...I only have a 36T ;)

1x9 baby! If a combination of 36 Front 32 Back can't get me up a hill... then pushing the bike will be faster and easier than the combination that can!

Edited by patches

Is the granny gear cog really neccessary for mountain biking?

I have been purposely riding without it on the last few rides - in my opinion it is not needed.

Good luck getting up Sani Pass without your Granny... ;) You must live up country where the roads are nice and flat and straight and smooth...

Good luck getting up Sani Pass without your Granny... ;) You must live up country where the roads are nice and flat and straight and smooth...

Or he's fit and decently trained, not overweight and poorly trained?

Ride a 2x9 setup with biggish small chainring upfront. Then do Jonkershoek as mentioned or try the mankele 3 Towers. Then come and ask again.

"Mankele" - Sufferish language for "Yes you need your granny and will use it often". :D 18% climbs are very common here. :o

Most of the time I don't, but its damn handy when you need it. Generally to the 2nd lowest (biggest) cog on the back, seldom go really lowest of the low, quicker walking.

I don't know if you can get the same ratios with 2x10, but I am sure that answer can be found (which I will seek when Sram finally make a 10 speed Twister)

Nah, you don't need it. Toughen the f*&k up, ride two up front and a 13-23 at the back. Works on my mtb.

triples and grannies are for losers.

Sure for you. Let me strap the weight diffs between me and you on your back then ride up Magalies. :lol:

I see myself as a weekend warrior - I ride my mtb 3x/ week and a longer one (40-50km) on the weekend. The weekday ride starts at 4:30 in the morning and average distance is 20km. More often than not total acsent is around 650m - granny gear comes in very handy!! :blush: :blush:

I removed my granny 2 weeks ago, some 6 months ago I replaced my crank and since then experienced chain rubbing in my granny gear. Stopped using the granny and realised I was not missing it at all.

Now have a 2x9, using 32 small.

Don´t have the mountains of the WC (I am in Brasil) but my holiday home is in the WC, smack in the middle of mountains.

Edited by vanniri

I need my granny regularly, we often do 18% climbs, what bothers me sometimes is on the road bike I look down and its not there when I could really use it

I often use the small gear with a medium rear cog when going over slowly over rocks and through sand. It seems to be the right balance for my legs.