Tour of South Africa Shocking

W1Z@RD

Africa or no Africa. Lets not politicise this event. The organizers are to blame and Mr Charles Dickens needs his fat ass kicked to Mars

.. . . .not drawing any comparisons to the Tour Down Under now perhaps? You're forgetting that everything in this shagpile is politicized! Edited by Delgado

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will put my head on the block and say that if the Tour does ever happen again it will remain in the Cape area. The Giro has happened there for a long time with no major incidents.

Johannesburg and it's residents don't deserve a race of this stature.

I will put my head on the block and say that if the Tour does ever happen again it will remain in the Cape area. The Giro has happened there for a long time with no major incidents.

And they certainly don't deserve this blatant misuse of the apostrophe! :P

Jeez guys and girls it wasn't a national tragedy, I would still rather be a cyclist than not if that makes sense! Lets hope the next 6 days of racing are great :) - knowing what us Jozi drivers (yip most if us anyway) are like normally ..... what did we expect? Maybe I'm just an optimist and don't have that self fulfilling wish that it all falls apart .....

I agree that it is dissapointing that today was such a stuff-up. It sounds like the organizers did not do their homework. Let's hope they will learn from this and we don't have a repeat of this for the rest of the tour, and that the next one will be organized better.

They need barricades in addition to rolling road closure through the middle of a busy city. 1 or 2 metro cops per intersection won't keep all the traffic out.

I am definately not ashamed to be South African - we hosted the SWC, we have won 2 RWCs, we have the Kruger and game reserves, the garden route, the Cape and winelands. We have one of the best climates in the world to live in. We live in one of the few confilict zones of the 80s and 90s that now have relative peace. Maintain some perspective, guys!

I agree - all I read is for CSA te resign, but they did get the tour. If you want to influence get involved. side-line moaning never achieved results. Why not put up your hand and and let help to make the rest of the tour a success>

Thats a wise voice not heard for a while on here

Agree :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Spoke to various people that witnessed chaos at intersections today. Apparently Taxi's just ignored the Metro Cops and Marshalls. Some cars then followed suite.

Take the race to where there is no Taxi and thus no baboons. You can also not expect the Metro to control the Taxi's, not if they "own" the business. :D

We have setup a blog site for all of you to post on the Tour, we are going to try to get as much awareness out there to the public via this site in order for us to try to avoid and further mishaps.

Please the site is setup for positive comment only, please feel free to post route maps, profiles or anything "positive" and lets get this link out to South Africa in order to make the public aware that there is a World Class event happening on their doorstep.

Cycle Tour SA

The site has literally been setup 30 mins ago so if you find anything wrong please let me know.

Thanks

I dont agree.

Johannesburg is a massive city, there are all types of people, good, bad and mediocre, to say the entire city is undeserving is just ridiculous.

As an aside try and close New York, London, Munich or any other major city anywhere in the world for even 10 minutes for an event the majority dont even know about and you will have just the same scenario, dont think differantly.

precisely. and no, it's not like this is the only time that marshals and officials have been abused by local jhb residents. it is just that this was an international event AND went through the most aggressive part of jhb (rivonia/sandton area) when it comes to the "i own the road" attitude. also, it was (from reports) one of the worst instances of this typical behaviour.

i am embarassed to be south african (and from jhb specifically) due to the disgusting behaviour of its' motorists.

it could, however, have been alleviated to an extent, had the effected self-entitled drivers had sufficient warning about the event by means of signage etc on the route for a few weeks preceding the event.

Jeez guys and girls it wasn't a national tragedy, I would still rather be a cyclist than not if that makes sense! Lets hope the next 6 days of racing are great :) - knowing what us Jozi drivers (yip most if us anyway) are like normally ..... what did we expect? Maybe I'm just an optimist and don't have that self fulfilling wish that it all falls apart .....

Lekka positive spin on this sensational Stage 2, BigS.

Me hope the race can still prevail into success for everybody involved.

Please, cycling gods, let cycling win... :whistling:

Any different to how some local 'ueber fun' cyclists behaved a week ago? Just saying .....

hit

nail

head

precisely. and no, it's not like this is the only time that marshals and officials have been abused by local jhb residents. it is just that this was an international event AND went through the most aggressive part of jhb (rivonia/sandton area) when it comes to the "i own the road" attitude. also, it was (from reports) one of the worst instances of this typical behaviour.

i am embarassed to be south african (and from jhb specifically) due to the disgusting behaviour of its' motorists.

it could, however, have been alleviated to an extent, had the effected self-entitled drivers had sufficient warning about the event by means of signage etc on the route for a few weeks preceding the event.

WHY?

I am from Johannesburg and proud of it, 99% of Johannesburg residents did nothing wrong so why should they be ashamed to be citizen's?.

Perhaps if things were organised better, and people were made more aware and were brought on board with the spirit of the event, things would be differant, this nonsense about " Jhb drivers I am entitled attitude, poor driving and law avoidance story" etc has nothing to do with it, - people have things to do, they need to get to work, to meetings, to offices to hospitals, to church, to schools, where ever, if they are not made aware before hand of the road issues and can make alternative plans, then what do you expect.?

Sorry, I am proud to be a Johannesburg citizen, this is a great city THAT HAS HOSTED THE MOST AWESOME EVENTS IN THE WORLD - dont blame the people, blame the fact people did not know.!!

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Guest agteros

I dont agree.

Johannesburg is a massive city, there are all types of people, good, bad and mediocre, to say the entire city is undeserving is just ridiculous.

As an aside try and close New York, London, Munich or any other major city anywhere in the world for even 10 minutes for an event the majority dont even know about and you will have just the same scenario, dont think differantly.

London / Boston / NY marathons?

Sorry, I am proud to be a Johannesburg citizen, this is a great city THAT HAS HOSTED THE MOST AWESOME EVENTS IN THE WORLD - dont blame the people, blame the fact people did not know.!!

Can't blame a fact. Can we rather blame the organisation for not making the race well known?