Running Clubs

Rolling Thunder

I have just started running marathons and have discovered that if you want to run any of the major races you have to belong to a club.

You also have to run in the clubs kit or you are not allowed to do the race.

My local club wants to charge me R600 to join so I can get a license.

It is not like riding where you can buy a temp license before the event. :thumbdown:

I have no interest to join a club, but obviously is required.

My question is which is the cheapest club to join so i can get a license to be able to run the 2 Oceans marathon?

Before joining Troisport I used to just buy a day license for whatever race I entered. This is still the case however to do the ultra distance for 2 oceans it seems you cannot buy a day license and you must have club membership.

Randburg Harriers is R520 for the year. http://www.randburgharriers.co.za/Harriers%20Best%20Site/fees/fees2011.pdf

If you are doing running and cycling I suggest Troisport. http://www.troisport.co.za/ cost is a little more but overall savings in day licenses for year (cycling and running) is better. They have club in Joburg and Durbs.

I have just started running marathons and have discovered that if you want to run any of the major races you have to belong to a club.

You also have to run in the clubs kit or you are not allowed to do the race.

My local club wants to charge me R600 to join so I can get a license.

It is not like riding where you can buy a temp license before the event. :thumbdown:

I have no interest to join a club, but obviously is required.

My question is which is the cheapest club to join so i can get a license to be able to run the 2 Oceans marathon?

does the R600 include licence fees and/or one set of club kit?

The R600 includes the license but no kit.

which club is this?

R600 is a bit steep for a running club. Normally ASA licence is about R120 and the culb asks marginally more. At this stage between R200- R300 all includive seems to be the norm. Running kit is an additional R200 tops.

Most clubs also include weekly time trails, monthly newsletter, snacks and drinks at league races, co-ordinated travel and acomodation to big or distant races and even discount on sponsor's goods ext

Unless your club is offering something really extra then I am shocked.

Discovery Running club is R350 per year kit included. See attached file, I understand it is open for the public and not only Discovery employees.

Thanks this sounds pretty good I will give them a call.

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys,

Think I should join a running club as I am planning on doing some more road races this year. Looking for some suggestions. I am based in Fourways, Gauteng.  

I don't need any training advise, but may join them on training days it if aligns with my current plan. 

Edited by EmJayZA

Hi Guys,

Think I should join a running club as I am planning on doing some more road races this year. Looking for some suggestions. I am based in Fourways, Gauteng.  

I don't need any training advise, but may join them on training days it if aligns with my current plan. 

You want to join a virtual club like Discovery or an actual club?

If a club, try Morningside Runners, Randburg Harriers, Born2run, Fourways Road Runners or Sunninghill Striders to name a few

Could also join medihelp multisport club. R250 join and eith that you get a bag an club shirt. Medihelp events are free and so a colorrun. They cover quite a few races and setup gazebos at events with free drinks.

Best of all you dont need to be a medihelp member

If you live in the Northern provinces, you can get an ASA number for races etc with Discovery Health. Down in WP, they arent linked with WPA yet, so in that case you need to get temp numbers for every race. I dont do much road, 99% trail, for which you don't need an ASA nr (yet...) - so Club Vitality works great for me. Discounts on selected races, free club kit and extra points in the bag. All of that said, you should be able to do 99% of races with a temp number. I used to. Unless things have changed or is different in the North.

Join a club..a real club...not a virtual club...clubs keep the sport alive in this country. Clubs organise the races and keep the entry fees down.

This ^^^^

The virtual clubs have no vibe as there are no organised regular runs. I suggest visiting the homepage or facebook page of the available clubs in the area you are looking for and seeing which of these have regular runs that will fit into your schedule easily and select that one. 

Join a club..a real club...not a virtual club...clubs keep the sport alive in this country. Clubs organise the races and keep the entry fees down.

Exactly

Living in a country where running clubs as you know them (in SA) are unheard of... I really appreciate the running club culture and benefits.

As you say even if you don't want to be part of a club, the clubs do a helluva lot for the sport and they deserve the support from those who benefit.