Single speed projects

divernick

Awesome work... I did the same for my brother's kid. He still rides SS some 5 years later.

Ah, another convert. Good work right there :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

HI

New to the forum, thought I'd post a pic of one of my SS projects. It's a 1991 Bridgestone MB 0 and will be running the original Mavic cranks and serviceable sealed bottom bracket, original Mavic sealed bearing hubs laced to Rirchey rims, original Dia compe 986 cantilever brakes and levers, original Ritchey bars and quill stem. Not sure about a fork at the moment as I don't have the original. I have got a period RST suspension fork but I would have to rebuild it - not keen. If I have to buy a fork I think I will look at a rigid straight carbon fork. This bike will run on full Conti slicks as much of my riding is done on road, pavements and the like. I can't actually wait, this bike was always on my wishlist having ridden all the Bridgestones except the MB 1 and Zip. My last MB 2 was stolen about 10 years ago just after I had converted to SS.

Later, Markpost-99047-0-70635600-1474923279_thumb.jpg 

Oh MAN.... this is pretty awesome. The MB 0 was my first MTB which I bought late 1991, and then rode down to PE from Pretoria via the Transkei. I am super jealous right now. Good luck with the build. This is going to be something special me thinks.

Mark, those were incredible light bikes for their time. Unfortunately, they also had the tendency to crack. The original had a white steel fork. No suspension. I think a carbon rigid would work well with it. Maybe even painted white

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. 

I'm looking for a 29er Rigid fork.

Any will be considered but the preferred specs is as follows: 

• Steel or carbon.
  • Tapered steering tube.
  • Axle-to-crown on the longer side 480mm to 490mm
  • Thru-axle

Looked at some of the SA online shops and sent emails to some others but no joy. 

Any suggestions? 

Hi.

• Steel or carbon.
  • Tapered steering tube.
  • Thru-axle
Looked at some of the SA online shops and sent emails to some others but no joy.

Any suggestions?

Drop Henning (above) a line. His requirements seemed similar to yours and he's happy with the forks he got.

Hi.

• Steel or carbon.
  • Tapered steering tube.
  • Thru-axle

Any suggestions?

Your axle to crown requirements should be met by a Surly Krampus fork. Give Grant a shout at Sprocket and Jack, he'll be able to help with the Surly steel forks

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

With lots of help from Wayne at Rapidé, my nephew's SS is finally done and ready to roll. Took it out for a quick spin this afternoon. What a blast! Been a while since I've been on a 26". Man was this fun!!

Thanks for the help Wayne, much appreciated.

post-37016-0-25393300-1481035865_thumb.jpg

post-37016-0-11256200-1481035880_thumb.jpg

post-37016-0-05555000-1481035895_thumb.jpg

Even Kasha the Schnauzer approved (she is the boss):

post-37016-0-34940100-1481036018_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to wait for them to arrive for the holidays so that I can give him his bike...

With lots of help from Wayne at Rapidé, my nephew's SS is finally done and ready to roll. Took it out for a quick spin this afternoon. What a blast! Been a while since I've been on a 26". Man was this fun!!

Thanks for the help Wayne, much appreciated.

attachicon.gifIMG_2358.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2359.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2360.JPG

Even Kasha the Schnauzer approved (she is the boss):

attachicon.gifIMG_2354.JPG

Now I just have to wait for them to arrive for the holidays so that I can give him his bike...

Legend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and what frame are all of these fine goodies going onto.... hmmmm....

All in good time . . .  :whistling:

Obviously it will be steel. . .

with an EBB . .

Edited by IH8MUD