Single speed projects

divernick

Q: Can you make a Dual bike a SS with the rear suspension pivot vs chain tension?

What ratios do I use? Or is this a trial and error thing.

Yes you can - you can get a 'sprung' tensioner. This way the although the chain needs to be long enough to accommodate the frames most 'suspended' point it will still be tensioned across the travel range. Not sure how well they work though. I'd run a front chain guide too if it was my setup - just to try and counter any chain whip/ bounce on the trails.

I good ratio to start with is 2:1. 32:16 on a 26". If you haven't SSed before maybe start with 32:18.

Edited by Ryanpmb

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My SS project, bought the frame from a fellow "newbie" hubber, beautiful service and it is going to turn out to be a beautiful bike. 

I have also posted in the "What do the Ladies Ride?" thread, I am so excited I had to share it here too. 

Track Miche wheels, bmx freewheel, will have mtb cranks. Nice and cheap but great for fun and the quick "extreme mayo run" to quote Bikesnob.

post-20779-0-19333100-1424434376_thumb.jpg

It fits, however there is some tension on the back, if there is too much tension (awaiting feedback from the cycle shop) then I will use normal road wheels. Or I may just change the hub setup slightly to accommodate it. As I say work in progress.

I happen to have chain tensioner in the box of odds and sods bike spares. Of the 4 bikes I now own, 3 is single speed (new one, plus MTB and fixie (track), however thank you for the advise, Rapide looks like a wonderful supplier ... will try them out soon. 

Would it really need a chain tensioner if you are running a straight line, on bmx freewheel? Just to satisfy my own curiosity. My MTB is chain tensioned. 

Or I could just run the chains into the ground, until stretched and then put on a tensioner. :-) 

Edited by Cargyrl

My SS project, bought the frame from a fellow "newbie" hubber, beautiful service and it is going to turn out to be a beautiful bike. 

I have also posted in the "What do the Ladies Ride?" thread, I am so excited I had to share it here too. 

Track Miche wheels, bmx freewheel, will have mtb cranks. Nice and cheap but great for fun and the quick "extreme mayo run" to quote Bikesnob.

always loved that colour on the raleigh

with the track wheels ... are you going fixie or can you fit a free body?

alwats led to believe fixie with tensioner = a very sore and broken rider and bike

alwats led to believe fixie with tensioner = a very sore and broken rider and bike

Heard this was true for brakes and fixie...

Since most of my experience is with track bikes, I would like to try it without a tensioner and use a track specific chain etc. (have so many, might as well use them). 

The purpose is to have the chain not too tight, but it does not have to be so tight as one the track, as long as it does not slip or fall off when you to the wheel turning test (learnt it with the track bike) then you should be ok, I will not use it for racing, this machine is specifically JUST A TOY

Will not be riding it as a fixie, I will however have make is a flip-flop hub, one side fixie and one side freewheel, everybody is happy and I have lots of choices.  

PS - it will have brakes, so not  as dangerous if the chain falls off than with a track bike ... ouch

Edited by Cargyrl

I read she was fitting a BMX freewheel, so I'm guessing its a single speed and not a fixed gear bike.

I read she was fitting a BMX freewheel, so I'm guessing its a single speed and not a fixed gear bike.

Yip, saw that after I hit enter on my reply .... so if I held back a little I would not have posted that Friday drivel :P

Ok bike is assembled, have to play a little with chain tension an/or chain tensioner, time will tell. Cranks a longer than my normal road bike or track bike can feel the difference. All good tho. Bike is going to be so much fun. The kids I. The complex love it too.

post-20779-0-72210000-1424446587_thumb.jpg

Have to sell my SS. Not being used as it should be used.

Will be sad cause I have started loving the bike. But times sucks big time.