Formula 1...

'Dale

Yeah I have no idea how it works. Here at my company I am one level bellow my Supervisor. When he is off I act in his place and the guy below me gets to act in my place. We then get a bit of extra money for acting in a higher grade. Only if I am not here when my boss is not here does the guy below me get to act supervisor. It's just how it works, chain of command. That's why if I was Toto I would have put VB in 44 and a merc test/reserve driver in 77.

This is also where my logic thinks it should go....

But if we look at it in terms of other sports, let's use the Football analogy: Russell go to Merc for a Loan spell of one or two Race Weekends(Pending the return of LH).

Still weird...

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain to me how this works.

Is this a special allowance for Covid19 situations where a rider from a different team can drive LH's car? Is it only for a sister-team?

Or can someone like Max even take LH's seat for this weekend, theoretically?

Can someone please explain to me how this works.

Is this a special allowance for Covid19 situations where a rider from a different team can drive LH's car? Is it only for a sister-team?

Or can someone like Max even take LH's seat for this weekend, theoretically?

Yeah I have no idea how it works. Here at my company I am one level bellow my Supervisor. When he is off I act in his place and the guy below me gets to act in my place. We then get a bit of extra money for acting in a higher grade. Only if I am not here when my boss is not here does the guy below me get to act supervisor. It's just how it works, chain of command. That's why if I was Toto I would have put VB in 44 and a merc test/reserve driver in 77.

LH and VB drive identical cars. the only difference is their engineering teams. Throwing VB in the "44 car" would actually probably be to his detriment...since he doesn't usually work with those people over a weekend. Mechanically...the cars are clones. How they are prepared by the two sides of the garage....thats the difference. 

Russel is a mercedes junior driver. He was placed at williams as part of an engine deal. Williams 'has' to use merc's junior driver in exchange for cheaper Mercedes power units throughout his contract period. Russel last drove the 2019 mercedes at last years Abu Dhabi post race test....he didnt drive for williams there iirc. They get other guys like Lafiti or Aitken to do that. 

There are actually only 4 teams in f1...with mclaren struggling with an identity crisis. You have the manufacturers and their so called B-teams/customers. Red Bull and Alpha Tauri being the exception - they are fully transparent about what is going on. How teams pay for engines is negotiated by the manufacturers if they feel there is a promising talent they want to test out in a crappier car down the field first. i wouldnt be surprised if mercedes facilitated the vettel move to the pink mercedes, a german champ and all.

it is not random. lots of politics involved and although it might look like any driver can be placed in any car on the surface...it really isn't the case. This was evident when ocon first lost his seat at the pink team - he was placed there by toto wolf...his manager for the exact reasons as above with williams. when Lawrence stroll came along and bought the team and gave his kid the seat...ocon was left in no mand land because he was still a mercedes driver and therfor came with the mercedes baggage that alot of the teams did not want to deal with....so he eventually ended up at renault...which also have Daimler connections.

edit: aon a different note...also why Albon hasnt been kicked to the curb yet. He is backed by the malaysian family who owns 51% of Redbull....and the recipe. take last time around as an example....Gastly was thrown to the wolves and demoted back to alpha tauri  for a lot less than Albon is currently getting away with.    

Edited by morneS555

and all this is why f1 needs to get over it's love affair with car manufacturers. They create these alliances down the field....and when it's time for tribal council and to vote on rules etc....all the manufacturers do is say "well...you know that deal we have for engines....yes...please find below how we would like you to vote"

LH and VB drive identical cars. the only difference is their engineering teams. Throwing VB in the "44 car" would actually probably be to his detriment...since he doesn't usually work with those people over a weekend. Mechanically...the cars are clones. How they are prepared by the two sides of the garage....thats the difference. 

Russel is a mercedes junior driver. He was placed at williams as part of an engine deal. Williams 'has' to use merc's junior driver in exchange for cheaper Mercedes power units throughout his contract period. Russel last drove the 2019 mercedes at last years Abu Dhabi post race test....he didnt drive for williams there iirc. They get other guys like Lafiti or Aitken to do that. 

There are actually only 4 teams in f1...with mclaren struggling with an identity crisis. You have the manufacturers and their so called B-teams/customers. Red Bull and Alpha Tauri being the exception - they are fully transparent about what is going on. How teams pay for engines is negotiated by the manufacturers if they feel there is a promising talent they want to test out in a crappier car down the field first. i wouldnt be surprised if mercedes facilitated the vettel move to the pink mercedes, a german champ and all.

it is not random. lots of politics involved and although it might look like any driver can be placed in any car on the surface...it really isn't the case. This was evident when ocon first lost his seat at the pink team - he was placed there by toto wolf...his manager for the exact reasons as above with williams. when Lawrence stroll came along and bought the team and gave his kid the seat...ocon was left in no mand land because he was still a mercedes driver and therfor came with the mercedes baggage that alot of the teams did not want to deal with....so he eventually ended up at renault...which also have Daimler connections. 

Thanks for the insight, it all makes waaay more sense now.  :thumbup:

I think Bottas will smoke him come Sunday. I think Valtteri is a great driver who stuck in the LH shadow. Having a shot as No1 for the weekend will do him well.

and all this is why f1 needs to get over it's love affair with car manufacturers. They create these alliances down the field....and when it's time for tribal council and to vote on rules etc....all the manufacturers do is say "well...you know that deal we have for engines....yes...please find below how we would like you to vote"

Well its either that or who has the most money. 

Sorta the game you play when you need $150 million a year to play. 

Like without Stroll there would be no RP and no Aston Martin. Without Mazepan there would be no HAAS next year. 

I hope Russel decimates VB. Maybe that will give the bosses at Merc the upper hand, as Toto clearly believes LH is worth more now after 7 titles than he was a year ago. If Russel performs, they will realize that winning the drivers and constructors can be done without LH, thereby eroding his bargaining power 

With the "Almost Oval" track coming, would a Left/Right Tyre difference come into play? Are you even allowed to run Mediums on two wheels and Softs on the other two? Either left/right or front/rear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h6dcyrsrSc

Nope, same compound on all tyres. And they are super strict - tyres are allocated to a car, marked, checked, etc.

Having different front and rear would be interesting :)