Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate of mine in OZ has made these. His a jeweler

11148805_10153319124472390_7488713448928

Very cool, until he gets a knock on the door from some Italian "Businessmen " in dark suits, asking about his permission to use their logo.

I think you need to wear sun glasses to sleep if you live here

I'm sure those windows are photochromic....

Methinks that's just an artist rendition, not the real thing.

But I would not mind staying there.

I'm sure those windows are photochromic....

And scratch-resistant like Rudy Projects?  

I think you're right about the artists rendition, but I think it is fugly as hell.

different strokes.

Agreed. Was discussing this with a mate of mine over the weekend. I cannot fathom how some people can spend upwards of R 10m (or even R 4m) on a house / home, when there is just SOOO much available below that price point. We theorised that at the R 50m point, the buyers aren't financing their homes - that would be a humongous loan to service (c R 500,000 per month or R 375,000 interest only) so it must be old / new money. But WHY!?

I mean, I get the idea of space, and serviceability, but after a certain point it all becomes one-upmanship IMO. I mean, I'd far rather live in my godmother's R 1.4m detached house in Plumstead with a serviceable back garden and natural wood flooring than an R 10m uber-house that takes R 10,000 just to heat each month.  

Agreed. Was discussing this with a mate of mine over the weekend. I cannot fathom how some people can spend upwards of R 10m (or even R 4m) on a house / home, when there is just SOOO much available below that price point. We theorised that at the R 50m point, the buyers aren't financing their homes - that would be a humongous loan to service (c R 500,000 per month or R 375,000 interest only) so it must be old / new money. But WHY!?

I mean, I get the idea of space, and serviceability, but after a certain point it all becomes one-upmanship IMO. I mean, I'd far rather live in my godmother's R 1.4m detached house in Plumstead with a serviceable back garden and natural wood flooring than an R 10m uber-house that takes R 10,000 just to heat each month.  

one-upmanship. exactly that. Its a case of " oh look at me. my wallet is bigger than yours"

mayhem, I think you know the answer to that question.

its the same as why someone with a family buys a two seater porsche 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=napoleon+complex

it's all relative dude. 50m to some is like 1m to us. Having said that, looking at some of these super expensive places, I've realised that money can't buy good taste.

If I had gazillions in the bank, I wouldn't have a problem spending loads on a house. But it wouldn't be in a "look at me" suburb like Camps Bay, Clifton etc. It would be on a farm in the mountains.