• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. But I am still an F-14 tomcat fan. Old school. Also just something does it for me when they have twin vertical stabs. I see single vertical stabs all day every day :D .

Hmmm.  I don't think you do any of the aircraft any justice to compare them.  Different era and different platform. I agree that I also prefer twin stabs but between the F18 and F16 I would take the F16 any day.  F14 is about double the size of the F16 and in close combat situation the F16 would out perform the F14.  The F15 on the other hand ....

There was a B1 at the waterkloof airshow a few years ago. It did a fly-by, it gave me goosebumps.

1995.  Was the year the Red Arrow were also there.  Remember the Sunday morning when those B1 flew back north. Came straight over our house.  Noisy bloody machines  :whistling:

Hmmm.  I don't think you do any of the aircraft any justice to compare them.  Different era and different platform. I agree that I also prefer twin stabs but between the F18 and F16 I would take the F16 any day.  F14 is about double the size of the F16 and in close combat situation the F16 would out perform the F14.  The F15 on the other hand ....

Luckily I will never have to go into close combat then :D

One of my faves. Harrier Jump Jet. 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-073h5SF3Nb4/VbAuokgZxlI/AAAAAAAAnP8/R2I137zp0zQ/s1600/HS_harrier_1.jpg

I had a model of that when I was a lightie. Stupid wing gear struts kept breaking off. 

you can stop now.

there is nothing that compares. 

72c23b5280a4241080de06d7184a8e23.jpg

You right, nothing compares ... well maybe a Tiger Moth  :whistling:

It served SA well and was a good bombing platform but to me it is just an ugly aircraft.

But this one from the SAAF on the other hand ...

post-71-0-64446800-1511345402_thumb.jpg

Was a very well respected and capable aircraft even at the time they were retired from the SAAF.

You right, nothing compares ... well maybe a Tiger Moth  :whistling:

It served SA well and was a good bombing platform but to me it is just an ugly aircraft.

But this one from the SAAF on the other hand ...

attachicon.gif2134-.jpg

Was a very well respected and capable aircraft even at the time they were retired from the SAAF.

yep, but the impala has some extra special memories for me (my late FIL was a techy for 8sq)

harvard224.jpg

My Oupa was a Brigadier in the Airforce, I was lucky enough to get a flip in a Harvard, C130 (flying on a single engine ????) and a Buccaneer( only engine start and small taxi, no flight) when I was a lightie. Always wanted to get in the Canberra and the various mirages but never got too. He was leader of the Bumbling Bees back in the old days and was in the Falcons.

Edit: Not sure if anybody remembers when the Mercurius crashed into Table Mountain, he was supposed to be leading them, but rushed back to Langebaan as my aunt was being born. Ended up being a very tragic day.

Edited by Patchelicious