I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

To be fair there needs to be some balance - free speech is great...up to a point. If your reason for saying something is purely to HARM then perhaps not saying it is the better option as there is no merit.

Humour/comedy gets a bit of breathing space of course.

Ultimately it is should be your right to say anything you like but your responsibility to only say those things that benefit society as a whole.

Slight change, but a very important one IMO. It's perfectly fine to go at something for the express purpose of offending someone. But as soon as your words are aimed at HARMING someone (emotional abuse / verbal abuse / hate speech / racism etc) then it's a different story, and you *should* hold back. You don't have to, as there's free speech, but then the other party has a recourse to call you out for it.

But holding back because it may offend someone? Nah, fk that. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Slight change, but a very important one IMO. It's perfectly fine to go at something for the express purpose of offending someone. But as soon as your words are aimed at HARMING someone (emotional abuse / verbal abuse / hate speech / racism etc) then it's a different story, and you *should* hold back. You don't have to, as there's free speech, but then the other party has a recourse to call you out for it.

But holding back because it may offend someone? Nah, fk that.

Only an arsehole says something purely to offend.

If,however, you can give me an example of something said purely to offend that is beneficial to society at large Ill happily change my point of view.

Pure offense and political correctness are opposite sides of the same coin in my book.

There is absolutely no humor there for me. This is extremely offensive to me. I am with you on that one Wannabe.

use this one, or take your pick from the pile

7ef513841be9ca09f56ed904a2311e8d.jpg

https://www.google.co.za/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enZA651ZA651&biw=1280&bih=579&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=we3yWu2uFqLPgAaz2ovoCQ&q=i%27m+offended+meme&oq=i%27m+offended&gs_l=img.3.0.0l10.111132.113367.0.114452.12.7.0.4.4.0.369.678.3-2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.img..6.6.691....0.3omVPB3myBM#imgrc=hztwjdxV4B_K_M:

EdIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIt

this one sums it up perfectly 

a6f08ad7dba6c3c7a56424bb40404469.jpg

Edited by Shebeen

If,however, you can give me an example of something said purely to offend that is beneficial to society at large Ill happily change my point of view.

Pure offense and political correctness are opposite sides of the same coin in my book.

ha ha, time for spaceballs!

yes, agreed. But in some cases it's warranted. 

By the logic applied in this forum with regards to being offended, my deduction from reading the very one-sided mantra towards the offended, is that, for instance I am over reacting for not accepting my Savior to be mocked in such a vile manner, and then calling it out.

Yet, should I start making offensive (to others) comments about people with whom I am in disagreement, I would very soon be labeled an intolerant (list whichever noun is most applicable here), and likely be banned from this site.

As has been noted here, if one needs to make a comment purely to offend, then as our incumbent president has said yesterday, rather shut up.

By the logic applied in this forum with regards to being offended, my deduction from reading the very one-sided mantra towards the offended, is that, for instance I am over reacting for not accepting my Savior to be mocked in such a vile manner, and then calling it out.

Yet, should I start making offensive (to others) comments about people with whom I am in disagreement, I would very soon be labeled an intolerant (list whichever noun is most applicable here), and likely be banned from this site.

As has been noted here, if one needs to make a comment purely to offend, then as our incumbent president has said yesterday, rather shut up.

I-see-offence-as-the-collateral-damage-o

You complained on 2 fronts:

1) It wasn't humourous. It WAS humourous just not to you because you don't know about Cards Against Humanity. You have no context.

2) It offended YOUR god not you. Subtle difference. Your god is not my god and probably not the god of a fair number of people here.

Religion will always be a heated subject because it's based on belief not rational thought.

Nobody ridiculed you. You are not the religion, and the religion is not you. That's a rather large and important distinction. 

Furthermore, it didn't actually ridicule the religion at all. It didn't call it in to question, it didn't say it was an irrational belief system based on bronze age thoughts of belonging and / or society, and it didn't say YOU were a fool for believing in it

(for clarity, I only hold to the italicized text - people are free to believe what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt others... as to whether religion helps more than it harms, well, that's another discussion)

We (as a collective) are fully within our rights to ridicule anything that someone believes in. Do not ridicule the person for believing in it, as people are at times gullible and open to manipulation and erroneous thought regardless of their intelligence or lack thereof. 

EDIT: For example - would you ridicule the belief of those in the flat earth society, or the (hilarious) Flying Spaghetti Monster? 

Of course you would. But you wouldn't be ridiculing the person unless you said they were an idiot / cretin / backwards hick for believing such claptrap... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

For reference and clarity, which of the 2000 odd gods are referring too, I will be sure to only joke about the other 1999 ones.

Nobody ridiculed you. You are not the religion, and the religion is not you. That's a rather large and important distinction. 

Furthermore, it didn't actually ridicule the religion at all. It didn't call it in to question, it didn't say it was an irrational belief system based on bronze age thoughts of belonging and / or society, and it didn't say YOU were a fool for believing in it. 

We (as a collective) are fully within our rights to ridicule anything that someone believes in. Do not ridicule the person for believing in it, as people are at times gullible and open to manipulation and erroneous thought regardless of their intelligence or lack thereof. 

suggesting-ihate-people-with-religion-be