I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

Which cockpit is this?

Space Shuttle Endevaour

The other with the pilots is a chinook, but I am not 100%sure.

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometime in April of 1987 we flew from Jan Smuts (Johannesburg) to Louis Botha (Durban) for the school holiday. The flight was delayed because of some problem with the aircraft. Repairs and maintenance would have taken to long so they decided to use another aircraft for the flight. SAL Boeing 747 Helderberg ZS-SAS was mostly used for international flights. At the time it didn't have any flights scheduled but was ready to fly so they decided to use it for that flight. Seven months later on 28 November 1987, Helderberg was coming home from Taiwan. Apparently a fire started somewhere in the cargo area and things went south from there. Helderberg went down in to the Indian ocean somewhere near Mauritius killing 159 people.   

Some of the recovered wreck is still lying in the scrap store in SAAT. For many years it lay "hidden" in one of the hangers. Then about 2 years ago they eventually moved it to the scrap store. Still weird to walk passed it knowing what it is.

Some of the recovered wreck is still lying in the scrap store in SAAT. For many years it lay "hidden" in one of the hangers. Then about 2 years ago they eventually moved it to the scrap store. Still weird to walk passed it knowing what it is.

does it glow at night ?

I can only imagine. SAA have a very good safety record (despite the current mis-management issues) and I know a few SAA staff who at the time of the Helderberg going down were truly shaken to the core. They knew flight staff who were on that plane too.

28 November 1987 was my wedding day. Should have taken the Helderberg disaster as a warning....  :whistling:  :devil:

10 gazillion dollars says that Mrs Wannabe does not read or frequent the BikeHub .... or you have a death wish of note.

does it glow at night ?

LOL, my days of working shifts stopped 4 years ago so luckily I don't spend much time here at night anymore.

There are/were apparently a few people(outside of the government) that really knew exactly what was on board. The Captain apparently sent his wife a fax from Taiwan with the manifest because he was against it. She apparently wanted to release this fax to the media but had her and the kids lives threatened.

I can only imagine. SAA have a very good safety record (despite the current mis-management issues) and I know a few SAA staff who at the time of the Helderberg going down were truly shaken to the core. They knew flight staff who were on that plane too.

Yeah SAA was so much smaller back then that just about everyone knew or had met everyone else in the company. I was only 3 but my toppie already had a few years service with the airline. Mickey Mitchell was a family friend of my grand parents and lived a few houses down from them. He, Mickey, had also apparently been given some info. My Dad and Grandfather tell me stories of how the cops spent days at the house. I think by now, everyone that knew something has passed away. Or maybe not.............

10 gazillion dollars says that Mrs Wannabe does not read or frequent the BikeHub .... or you have a death wish of note.

Ex Mrs Wannabe.  :D