• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/359131/killer-whales-not-to-blame-for-disappearance-of-great-white-sharks-in-false-bay

Wow. I knew there were Orca's floating around False Bay. But collapse of shark populations is hectic. Hopefully the whales will not be as badly affected.

There was a documentary on Discovery a while back, regarding this pod of Orca's in False Bay. They have learned how to hunt Dolphins also, you should see what it looks like when a pod of 3000 plus dolphins try to get away from the hunting Orca's. Gripping viewing.

So it made discovery...so that means it is old news.

I knew I was slow - but this is seriiaaaasssly slow.

Lovely photo.

But if you think that's crazy, there is a group of crocodile researchers that scuba dive with the crocs in the Okavango Delta.

I did a 3 day canoe trip down the Zambezi many years ago. Our guide used to spearfish in Kariba.Loads of crocs in there.

http://www.capetalk.co.za/articles/359131/killer-whales-not-to-blame-for-disappearance-of-great-white-sharks-in-false-bay

Wow. I knew there were Orca's floating around False Bay. But collapse of shark populations is hectic. Hopefully the whales will not be as badly affected.

That's truly sad. 

I've read a previous article on the topic, that they suspect it's as a result of Chinese boat/trawlers (over) fishing illegally in our waters that affects the young/baby sharks' food availability.

The presence of Orcas are also suspect, as there were quite a few dead sharks that washed up on the shores with their livers removed.

Edited by stefmeister

I did a 3 day canoe trip down the Zambezi many years ago. Our guide used to spearfish in Kariba.Loads of crocs in there.

I believe crocs vision under water is pretty bad, the nictitating membrane over their eyes make it hard for them to focus, so that might explain why they are less threatening underwater (still wouldn't try it though). Different story when you are at the surface or on the edge of the water.

I worked and lived in the delta for a couple of years, and it was the hippos that were by far the biggest concern and threat.

I believe crocs vision under water is pretty bad, the nictitating membrane over their eyes make it hard for them to focus, so that might explain why they are less threatening underwater (still wouldn't try it though). Different story when you are at the surface or on the edge of the water.

I worked and lived in the delta for a couple of years, and it was the hippos that were by far the biggest concern and threat.

Whereabouts? doing what? sorry for prying..  but that place is heaven on earth. I'm desperate to take the missus there.

they always say that if a shark comes accross you in the water it might eat you. If a croc finds you in the water it will eat you.

they always say that if a shark comes accross you in the water it might eat you. If a croc finds you in the water it will eat you.

It's one of the few animals on earth that actually see humans as prey (if they can see you)

Whereabouts? doing what? sorry for prying..  but that place is heaven on earth. I'm desperate to take the missus there.

It is heaven on earth, and everyone should try get up there at least once in their lives.

My wife and I managed a small lodge in the heart of the delta for one of the larger safari companies. It was incredible - for most of the year you could only get to the island by boat. On days we had no guests in camp, we would explore the islands on mokoro, go tiger fishing. Very fond memories. When the kids are out of the house, we plan on going back.

Was just about to post the article I just read. Very weird.

https://m.news24.com/Green/mystery-as-great-white-sharks-disappear-in-false-bay-20190829

That's truly sad. 

I've read a previous article on the topic, that they suspect it's as a result of Chinese boat/trawlers (over) fishing illegally in our waters that affects the young/baby sharks' food availability.

The presence of Orcas are also suspect, as there were quite a few dead sharks that washed up on the shores with their livers removed.

This article also points to over-fishing and corruption, although the killer whales and changing ocean conditions could also be contributing factors

https://e360.yale.edu/features/shark-mystery-where-have-south-africas-great-whites-gone

Fallows and his colleagues in South Africa’s shark tourism business think they have the answer. The culprit, they believe, is a long-line fishery that has been targeting smaller species of sharks, including soupfin and smooth-hound sharks, which are a favored prey species of great whites. The South African government has encouraged this poorly regulated fishery and has granted licenses to politically connected boat owners...