Introduce yourself

Bianchisti

Ahoy all.

I'm a soon-to-be mountain biker, just joined the forum. I rode MotoX and BMX bikes in high school, both of which stopped when I got my first car and my first university registration fee.

I've had a serious itch to get back into MotoX, but I don't have the money or the space for a bike and a trailer. That, combined with the fact that I'm much closer to the horrifying 30 year old / 100kg threshold than I'd like to be and need something my significant other and 2 year old can join me in has steered me toward mountain biking.

SARS is buying me my first bike in July, so looking at doing some road cycling and trials riding for exercise/fun and some dirt trails. Stay in Boksburg, so there are a bunch of options in a 50km radius.

Thanks!

Welcome.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I am old and fat and new to cycling in the 21st century. Some obscure arrangement of cheese holes had my clutching a mountain bike with my name on it. Then I bought padded pants and shoes with metal triangles at the bottom. And a beer cooler for my head.

While I haven't straddled a bicycle for several decades I do ride a motorcycle. I was just old enough for the BMX craze that hit SA in the 80s and not too old for the mountain bike craze soon thereafter. Then life hit and, well, here I am just starting to slow down a little again and wondering how I ever managed to sit on a saddle for hours on end without pain killers.

But hell it's fun. 

Hi all

New to Bike Hub and this road cycling thing.

Decide two months ago it was time to find a new sport after rowing at school for 5 years and found the world of triathlon.

Cleaned the fives years of dust off my MTB and sold it to buy a road bike 4 weeks ago.

Battled the cold of Engen2Engen and the cradle a few times now and I’m hooked to cycling. Didn’t know five days of the bike could drive me crazy now.

Look forward to exploring the world of cycling and triathlon and meeting more of these crazy people you get up at stupid hours to go ride the streets of Joburg.

Luke Knibbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

i'm coming back to cycling after a 7 year hiatus and I'm glad to be back - I never realised how much I missed it.

Using cycling to cross-train for my dirt biking passion. 

I'm married with 2 kids, aged 10 and 7 - and we all hit the trails :thumbup: .

Cheers

Craig

Hi all,

I am new to cycling. Occasional trail promenade rides with the family.

Regards

Hi All.

M new to MTB looking to get my first bike on a tight budget not familiar with brands and components. Would like some advice as to which bike I should get 5K max.

Thanks for the advice

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone

New to the forum and cycling. Im a runner, but want to get into triathlons.

No knowledge of cycling whatsoever, so any advice will be appreciated.

In the market for my first bike. Had myself measured im a small or 51cm.

Budget around R10 000. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hello Everyone

New to the forum and cycling. Im a runner, but want to get into triathlons.

No knowledge of cycling whatsoever, so any advice will be appreciated.

In the market for my first bike. Had myself measured im a small or 51cm.

Budget around R10 000. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi LanaP, come to the multisport forum & search or ask there, you’ll get plenty of suggestions, most of them helpful.

edit: Without knowing what type of triathlon racing you’re planning to do, I’d suggest a pre-owned aero road bike from the Hub classifieds unless you have already decided on long-distance tri (half-Ironman & longer) in which case a TT bike is your best option (but will need to up your budget).

Edited by amr63

Hi All.

M new to MTB looking to get my first bike on a tight budget not familiar with brands and components. Would like some advice as to which bike I should get 5K max.

Thanks for the advice

Hey Bro iirc Titan has a mountain bike that's under 5k new. Otherwise I would suggest looking at the classifieds to find a second hand bike that could work for you. Check out your size by riding demo bikes at bike shops that offer such a service. Quite a few do. Additionally get yourself a helmet and padded mountain bike shorts. That's your basic kit sorted.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Hi All, 

Registered in October never posted but kept popping in daily. Like the forum use it to get a heads up on whats happening in the cycling world. 

I MTB (not enough), I ride on the road mostly (time constraints) and I Try ;-) (triathlon) 

Never been a big poster on any forum, I prefer the stalker type role  :ph34r:

Hi All,

Registered in October never posted but kept popping in daily. Like the forum use it to get a heads up on whats happening in the cycling world.

I MTB (not enough), I ride on the road mostly (time constraints) and I Try ;-) (triathlon)

Never been a big poster on any forum, I prefer the stalker type role :ph34r:

Oi! Is that you lurking outside in the bushes?[emoji6]

Hi All, 

Never been a big poster on any forum, I prefer the stalker type role 

Welcome lurker HAHA . What area are you in . We are always wanting to have MTBikers  join us on Saturday mornings for a 60 to 80km ride in Benoni .

Edited by FirstV8

Welcome lurker HAHA . What area are you in . We are always wanting to have MTBikers  join us on Saturday mornings for a 60 to 80km ride in Benoni .

I'd have a piece of that action. Can you PM me some more details or point me in the direction of the appropriate thread/WhatsApp group?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all so I registered a while ago to post an item my brother (the 1 who was into bikes) wanted me to post for him, im VERY diy and love building,  bmw vehicles is my passion( E36 6cyl) but so I got started on finishing a mongoose we wanted to build years ago, did that and gave it a kid that needed it, then I came across a bike / frame and started building it , the more I built the more I wanted to try it out, now I see you invited  newbie for a 60km morning ride lol, let me get this out the way from the start, I cant even ride 5km and im sure my lungs will burn and I will end up leaving it somewhere and fetch the car lol, hence im building a downhill type bike, I dont have money to throw into this sport as my other hobbie bankrupts me just fine as it is, so all myparts are either made, modified or salvage,  with the exception f some nice part my brother said  could have, but yea

h thats my story, I hope to learn alot , I live in helderberg strand gordons bay