Tour De Frans Cycles - SPAM

Jenga

Why not just delete the message? Not a huge deal really. It is cycling related and maybe something good pops up.

I get a load of SMS spam, I hate it. :angry:

Internet service providers block email spam but cellphone providers promote it. 90% of emails sent are spam, in 11 months my mail server has blocked 4460666 spam emails.

I think the cellphone service providers should credit our cell accounts with 50% of the cost of sending the spam :thumbup:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I registered on SA-Active...

When I called Tour De Frans - they could not give me an indication of how they got my contact details...

Their "marketing" lady got the list from somewhere...They couldnt confirm where I had consented to direct marketing - which is an issue in the eyes of CPA!

This is a criminal offence and I will be contacting the NCC...

"From April 1 the National Consumer Commission can be contacted on 0860-266-786"

I am also getting them, and I seem to be getting the same offers from Westrand Cycles. Except, I've only gotten the offer once from WR, and I've actually shopped there, so its not an issue.

I've never even been to TdF cycles.

Eish, Spam FTL

Why not just delete the message? Not a huge deal really. It is cycling related and maybe something good pops up.

A very simple solution you offer. It seems quite a few lads are getting foam around their moufs because of this. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they get the Lubners, Clicks and Makro flyers on the same day in their postboxes. I wonder if they attack the flyers with their teeth or use them as toilet paper?

I wonder if they attack the flyers with their teeth or use them as toilet paper?

I give mine to JW's and Mormons in exchange for taking their proselytising pamphlets.

WTF!

Really if it annoys you so that much phone them and ask them to remove you from their database.

Next time when you enter for races read the terms and conditions don't just sign it.

Check the Nissan series for example, their when you enter you clearly state when you agree to their terms that they may send you emails and sms's

Just don't put your cell number on any entry form! It will go into some cretins marketing database, which might be sold on or pilfered.

I am generally careful about that, but also getting these highly annoying spam SMS's.

Spoke to my mate this morning, he also didn't enter Bela Bela but is getting the spam. I see CSA is short of cash. Are all people that are receiving the spam members of CSA?

Solution of phoning them sucks, I don't have time to phone all the idiots who spam me and why should I use my airtime.

They should change the law for spam, they should send you one SMS asking if you want to opt in. If they don't get a reply from you they should send no further spam.

The New Consumer Protection Act makes it almost impossible for companies to spam you without dire consequences. No one is allowed to get your name off some mysterious list - they have to get your explicit permission before they phone, sms, email or post any marketing material to you. Every piece of communication you're sent also has to give you the opportunity to opt out for free (eg SMS must contain wording like 'Reply STOP to opt out').

If it doesn't, or if they didn't get your permission to call you or send you marketing material, they're breaking several laws, including CPA and the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act.

Forcing you to receive marketing material as a consequence of entering a race, buying a product etc is also illegal under the CPA.

First ask them to stop sending you any marketing material. If they don't stop, you can report them to the Consumer Commission, WASPA and the DMASA.

Edited by peerie

Guest agteros

I'm on the national DMASA 'opt out' list, and this did not prevent them from spamming me...

Doubt that they are members of DMASA or WASPA :(

I'm on the national DMASA 'opt out' list, and this did not prevent them from spamming me...

Doubt that they are members of DMASA or WASPA :(

Did you compare with the list of events I entered? Plus SA Active and CSA. I can't think of anything else recently.

why complain about these stupid little matters going to cpa and all that just over sms,s. just delete if you dont like it.