Men's Saddle Choices

Morwa

Alternative - Specialized Body Geometry

believe me it works wonders!!

+1.......... Body Geometry Indie 143mm. Quite reasonably priced at R450. And its only about 60-80g heavier than the Gobi, being that its Chrome Molly

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morwa, for your size, what you need to be looking at is saddles with a certain width (like 143mm).

For example, that WTB Rocket V is only 127mm wide - it will be the perfect saddle for you if you like hard core S&M. The Rocket V is for people with small buns.

EDIT: I'm 6'1" and 90kg. I had the Rocket V come stock with my hardtail and so I know from experience.

Edited by tombeej

Jis I love my Gobi, bad to hear it doesnt work for you. I must say I have heard very positive feedback on Spez saddles.

Ok I know a saddle is very personal and person specific choice, but I need some help please. I'm a not a skinny Andy Schleck build (rather 1.90m and 95kg). I'm currently riding a Gobi XM and the thing is killing me. I'm currently looking at:

1. Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow;

2. Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow;

3. Selle Italia Yutaak Gel Flow.

Any experiences or recommendations with the above; or any alternative recommendations.

+1 for specialized. A common problem is that the Gobi is only available in 130mm width. For any oke with wider sit bones, it's going to pressure in all the wrong places! I went for a fitting on the weekend and according to that assometer thingy I'm between a 143 and 155 saddle width. I currently ride a Spez Avatar 143, but apparently the 155 could be a better fit.

Pity cos I was really keen to give that Gobi a bash after reading all the rave reviews!

Alternative - Specialized Body Geometry

believe me it works wonders!!

I have to agree - although I don't use one.

I have tried the Gobi's, the Selle's etc etc. This is the best saddle i have ever come across. I Have been using it for 2 years now. Can sit on it for hours. I also have 4 friends that have changed over to this one.

WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle

The chances are that if the Gobi also did not suit you, then this will work for you.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25683

The Rocket V is WTB’s most popular high-performance saddle both on the road and in the dirt.

The uniquely contoured pad shape helps increase power output by properly angling the sit bones.

This is the saddle of choice for DH World Champ Steve Peat of the Santa Cruz Syndicate team.

Love Channel™:

Found on all WTB saddles, the Love Channel has one very important task: protect your body from unwanted pressures. Unlike other more radical approaches, this central depression provides soft-tissue relief without sacrificing the design integrity of the saddle.

DNA Padding:

Found on our high-end models, this lightweight padding dramatically reduces the weight of the saddle.

It is denser and has better memory properties allowing it to form to the contours of your active cyclist body.

• Usage - Mountain and Road.

• Size - 127mm x 258mm

• Rail - Titanium

• Weight - 215g

• Details - Leather cover, Flex-Tuned shell, Comfort Zone, Kevlar corners, DNA padding

Very similar to the specialized format saddle that is a winner, have one now on both bikes. The gel saddles I find are uncomfortable and hard!

Spesh BG Format Saddle

Hey Morwa, isnt the hub great? Ill take your Gobi off you ;)

I have been using Fizik Airone road saddles on all my bikes, just love them... that was until I tested the Gobi ... now want one of those for the mtb!

The thing about Fizik, they need to be setup 100% correctly ... that is why a lot of guys give up on them, it becomes painful. But when setup correctly ... they remain my favorite painfree saddles!

I can tell you now that saddles are very specific to your butt...But also to what you like...

Knowing people, you can buy the perfect saddle that fits your rear end like a glove. But if it is ugly, you won't buy it! Then you might buy a sleek looking racing saddle that is narrow and rockhard, just because of how it looks, and you will hate it after your first race!!!

Don't buy saddles that other people like. Buy the one YOU like and make sure it fits you!

I found that the Fizik is commonly not set far forward enough. If you are feeling your sit bones on the saddle, you are sitting on the nose and not in the sweet-spot. It must be the longer nose causing the confusion.

You'll have my vote for this initiative!

So Morwa - change the topic to :

I have a Fizik Gobi that I want to swop for... then ask mods to make it sticky and there we go.

I found that the Fizik is commonly not set far forward enough. If you are feeling your sit bones on the saddle, you are sitting on the nose and not in the sweet-spot. It must be the longer nose causing the confusion.

Agree'd...I also struggled the first time, then when I got it to be setup right I had no issues.

It is so. People measure from steerer to seat nose and with the extra length of the Arione, it will be out.

Hey Morwa, isnt the hub great? Ill take your Gobi off you ;)

I have been using Fizik Airone road saddles on all my bikes, just love them... that was until I tested the Gobi ... now want one of those for the mtb!

The thing about Fizik, they need to be setup 100% correctly ... that is why a lot of guys give up on them, it becomes painful. But when setup correctly ... they remain my favorite painfree saddles!

Tankman.....let me find a saddle first...then we can talk business.