loud hubs:noise or music to your ears?

zonker

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also got Hope Pro II's, and I love the sound!

... except they give me away when riders ahead are granny gearing up a steep climb and they hear me freewheeling (pushing) :lol:

Jeesh, my XT AM wheels, must have the world's quitest hubs. I sometimes have to look down to make sure my wheels are actually turning! I've given a lot of riders in front of me the fright of their lives, because they don't hear me sneeking up from behind! I'm sure these wheels were actually designed for ninja's.

I remember MichH carping on about her new Hopes and the sound they made when we were riding at NF once. Then I heard them making that distinctive noise on one of ther hills, and though, 'How the hell can she be freewheeling?' Then I noticed she was catching a tow with one of my Camelbak straps… :angry:

It's cool.

What's cooler is a peloton of them - sounds like a beehive moving down the road at speed. :thumbup:

My Roval Rapide SL45 with a DT Swiss hub on my S-Works Tarmac is rather noisy compared to my Easton EC90SL. I prefer the louder hub, but I also know it p*sses off other riders in the group.

Loud hubs ratchets give you the feeling you have a well machined and accurate mechanism. I love them and dont care what other think.

Quite nothing like the sound of having a V8 motor @ your rear wheel.

Have to love my Spinergy's for that. :thumbup:

• 9 years later...

Hi Guys...quick question... did put on Shimano Deor TH-M6000 rear hub on my bike. For me the sound of the pawls of the free hub is to soft....is there anything i can do to make it louder....maybe put on a new free wheel body that will fit this type of hub?

Hi Guys...quick question... did put on Shimano Deor TH-M6000 rear hub on my bike. For me the sound of the pawls of the free hub is to soft....is there anything i can do to make it louder....maybe put on a new free wheel body that will fit this type of hub?

With most hubs as you remove the grease the hub will get louder but I really wouldn't with a shimano hub in particular

Some hubs are just loud, and most of them use oils or distribute their grease quick and settle into their sound

Just like you're not going to make your Shimano hub much louder by removing grease (or anything) you're also not going to silence A hope hub with heavy grease

*I've tried the above with a hope hub for interest sake, silenced it quite alot but still loud compared to Shimano hubs. Interestingly it didn't keep the prawls from engaging or make them stick