loud hubs:noise or music to your ears?

zonker

Playing cards were for rookies, we used cut up yoghurt cups. Louder and lasted longer.

The neighborhood must have hated us.

A Floro margarine tub, covered an entire gang.

There were better materials for sure, and experimenting with different ones to achieve acoustic bliss was a science on its own.

...but try googling that haha.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The teeth dont make the noise

In the case of a star ratchet, I'm very sure that is exactly what's making the noise, one side of the ratchet running over the other under spring load.

Edited by Theog

Noisy- not great ! I much prefer silent hubs you right through the forest it’s more of a free feeling then disturbing everything in your site. After three hours the buzzing start to aggravate.

I totally get that the frequency of the noise will increase since the # of teeth goes from 18 to 54 (more teeth to join the party :rolleyes:) per one revolution. The amplitude however should decrease since the 54T is not as "deep" as the 18T -> less time/distance to accelerate -> less noise per tooth.

The combined effect must then be worse, more little noises surpass less loud noises ;) .

I am pretty sure they put a stronger spring behind each ratchet for those exact reasons, a friend of mine has the 54T ratchet in his 350 hubs, they are pretty loud, but it is a good sound

Just put a 6 pawl freehub body in the powertap hub, huge difference compared to a 3 pawl!
Much louder, sounds much better out on the trails, also a subtle reminder that I'm not pedaling :ph34r: .

I am pretty sure they put a stronger spring behind each ratchet for those exact reasons, a friend of mine has the 54T ratchet in his 350 hubs, they are pretty loud, but it is a good sound

The upgrade kit comes with new springs.  I will definitely compare the spring stiffness with my current ones when I get the new ones.

In this case a silent hub would make this video better. The angry bees sound clashes too much with the environmental sounds.

Definitely, there's something special about the sound a tyre makes on dirt when there's absolutely no other noises

Sometimes a loud hub sounds really cool, but its cool on a well shot MTB video, which last about 3 minutes, and the hub noise is part of the entire acoustic package, edited perfectly to create drama.

But in the real world I really want my bike as silent as possible. We do a lot of riding in game reserves, including proper big 5 areas. Buzzing freehubs seriously makes getting good sightings a pain in the arse

54T is louder, I did this upgrade .

True you are spot on, got it fitted today and "agree bees" is not the word, it is substantially louder than the 18T.  I guess the higher frequency is far less tolerable to our ears.

P.S. I checked the springs supplied with 18T vs supplied with 54T and they are exactly the same, I reused the old ones since they are still 100%.

Sometimes a loud hub sounds really cool, but its cool on a well shot MTB video, which last about 3 minutes, and the hub noise is part of the entire acoustic package, edited perfectly to create drama.

But in the real world I really want my bike as silent as possible. We do a lot of riding in game reserves, including proper big 5 areas. Buzzing freehubs seriously makes getting good sightings a pain in the arse

Completely agree with you..

My hubs are a "little clicky' - American Classics. And I quite like it that way... enough sound to warn people around me that I'm there, but not so loud that I sound like a fisherman reeling in a marlin in rough seas... (try get that image out your head next time you watch a Brandon Semenuk Raw video  :whistling: )