Isle of man TT

Tankman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean Harrison has done a 133.14 (214 kph) lap in Tuesday nights practice......from a standing start!

I don't think the average (most) guy on the street here can appreciate just how insane that is......

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Sadly there has been a fatality at the TT. Inevitable people may say, but whatever ones thoughts are about road racing, it is a tremendous spectacle and one in which, I believe, everyone understands the risk. Dan Kneen has passed away after a crash during Superbike practice yesterday. RIP.

Edited. Info from MCN.

Edited by Spokey

Sadly there has been a fatality at the TT. Inevitable people may say, but whatever ones thoughts are about road racing, it is a tremendous spectacle and one in which, I believe, everyone understands the risk. Dan Kneen has passed away after a crash during Superbike practice yesterday. RIP.

Edited. Info from MCN.

These guys know the huge risks and it's never nice to hear of someone who've lost their life.RIP

"Clerk of the Course Gary Thompson confirmed there had been an incident at Churchtown which had resulted in a tree on fire. It was later revealed that there was also an incident at Ballacrye as it was announced the session would be abandoned."

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-road-races/2018/may/tt-2018-wednesday-practice-abandoned-after-red-flag/

********************************

"Dan Kneen has passed away after an incident during this evening’s Isle of Man TT session.

The Tyco BMW rider crashed at Churchtown on the opening lap of this evening’s Superbike/Superstock/Supersport session. The session was immediately red flagged, but the 30-year-old died at the scene.

Local man Kneen made his debut on the mountain course at the Manx Grand Prix in 2008, winning an unprecedented three races – the Junior, Newcomers C and Ultralightweight MGP races.

2017 saw Kneen clinch his first TT podium in the Superstock race, setting his fastest ever lap of the course with a 130.347mph.

His efforts saw him achieve his goal of securing a factory contract, joining the Tyco BMW team for last year’s Ulster Grand Prix, where rostrum finishes on both Superbike and Superstock machinery would see him join the Northern Irish squad for 2018.

On just the second night of practice, Kneen bettered his fastest ever lap of the TT course with a 132.258mph to place third in Tuesday’s qualifying session.

A popular figure around the TT paddock, Kneen would always bear a smile on his face that will be sorely missed by many."

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-road-races/2018/may/tt-2018-dan-kneen-has-died/

DanKneen.jpg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

Went to the IOM in 2007. we rented bikes in Perth Scotland and rode down to Hesham to catch the ferry. Was an awesome experience. Watching those guys doing 200km/h plus through those narrow streets is truly something to appreciate. Mad sunday was cancelled due to a number of accidents

This, and the Mach Loop, are two things I should like to do before signing out.

Tragedy every year, though. Very sad with Dan Kneen and Steve Mercer critical.

This is a pretty good compilation. Includes a bit if Guy Martin and the nutcase Lougher.

Not strictly the IOMTT but the Southern 100.

My son and I were there earlier this week, just for a couple of days!!!

It's difficult to appreciate, until you'e seen it!!!!

Standing at the bottom of Bray Hill as the guys are coming through there at 180 mph, the bike bouncing, the rider leaning over, sparks from the foot rests. Some take it wide, some narrow, but some through the middle where there's a major bump and a couple of guys almost exited there!!.And yet, Bray Hill is considered one of the safer sections :eek:  :eek:

Bradden Bridge is quite cool, as they slow down (100 mph :clap:) to take the 'S' bend.

Went down to the Southern 100 on the Sunday, (cool little steam train ride) some lovely older bikes, but they still cream it around the course.

Unfortunately, my phone's SD card gave up, so my video and pics are gone  :cursing:

I think thats why this event is not sanctioned by any of the motorcycle racing governing bodies due to the course being way too dangerous.

If they had this race and nobody died i think that would be surprising.

Given the record of fatalities in this race I kind of lose respect for the participants, especially as most of them will have families and kids that they would leave behind.

As much as I enjoy watching bike racing, like moto gp, cant say I have the same views about this event.

A big Euro lottery win and a Suter would be in my garage! Would need to keep it under wraps so I don’t dribble on it! That engine sound is terrific, the exhaust smell must be stella!

Just an SA Lotto win, and I'll build my own modern version of a stroker.

Yammie R3 frame with stroked and worked 350LC engine. Kits of up to 503cc is available from Yank land, upwards of 100bhp on those. 

But you will need to win the Lotto, kit for engine alone is around $25 000.00.

Edited by Wannabe