Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

Pic after my commute this morning. New job and new offices in Braamfontein... The coffee in Braamfontein is amazing by the way.

This is outside Father Coffee.

attachicon.gif20160504_081741_HDR.jpg

Where do you leave from?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this morning cycling with arm and leg warmers, buff and jacket. will be sweating it out back home...so not looking forward to it, but once i'm cycling it's all good ;)

It was warm this morning! 

Posted Today, 14:33

Catatonic_Joe, on 04 May 2016 - 5:16 PM, said:snapback.png

Pic after my commute this morning. New job and new offices in Braamfontein... The coffee in Braamfontein is amazing by the way.

This is outside Father Coffee.

attachicon.gif20160504_081741_HDR.jpg

I've been commuting to Liberty (Braamies) from NorthCliff side for the past 1,5 years so I may see you on the road sometime. Hard to believe I'm the only one commuting here at Liberty as they even provided bike racks, lockers and have shower facilities. If I go over NorthCliff hill (on the way here) I get 400m of climbing in 16km.

Edited by Flemish Lion

I left my bike at work last night, wanting to cycle home tonight, but my shoes are at home... Luckily the commuter has flats, so I'm willing to give my work shoes a try...

Posted Today, 14:33

Catatonic_Joe, on 04 May 2016 - 5:16 PM, said:snapback.png

I've been commuting to Liberty (Braamies) from NorthCliff side for the past 1,5 years so I may see you on the road sometime. Hard to believe I'm the only one commuting here at Liberty as they even provided bike racks, lockers and have shower facilities. If I go over NorthCliff hill (on the way here) I get 400m of climbing in 16km.

Mind sharing your route?

I've been keen to get started, but planning a route that wont get me killed has been putting me off.

I work in the building next to Liberty.

Mind sharing your route?

I've been keen to get started, but planning a route that wont get me killed has been putting me off.

I work in the building next to Liberty.

No problem,

If I'm in a rush I do one of the below but my route varies slightly depending on robots - either trough bottom, top of Emmerentia Park or over bridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/573354170

Or this one:

https://www.strava.com/activities/579785039

If I have more time I do this:

https://www.strava.com/activities/572299498

I try stay away from Beyers and Barry Hertzog as much as possible. I also use the Empire 'service' road. Crossing Empire / Jan Smuts can be tricky at times but make it clear to cars what you are going to do. If you feel the lane / road is too narrow for you and a car then just ride in the middle of the road - e.g. I do this on Barry Hertzog after the bridge going to Judith.

In the evenings I do this:

https://www.strava.com/activities/573727182

I use the BRT lane from Jan Smuts to Wits entrance.

I rode in on the singlespeed this morning. A ride that normally takes 30 minutes on a proper bike is a 50 minute adventure in self loathing and hatred. 80% of the ride is in the wrong gear, and try as I might, I just couldn't convince myself of the positive side that at least 20% of the ride was in the right gear.

And despite hating almost the entire ride, slogging away into the northerly wind, I'd take this any day over driving into work.

Excuse me while I go and nap under my desk!

I rode in on the singlespeed this morning. A ride that normally takes 30 minutes on a proper bike is a 50 minute adventure in self loathing and hatred. 80% of the ride is in the wrong gear, and try as I might, I just couldn't convince myself of the positive side that at least 20% of the ride was in the right gear.

And despite hating almost the entire ride, slogging away into the northerly wind, I'd take this any day over driving into work.

Strongly thinking of putting my hardtail to use as a commuter, when I can. Singlespeed as well, but not fixie. No way in hell. Not in CT traffic... 

Should be nice. 

The first few times are tough, but, dividends will be paid!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

There's a taxi operating in Main Rd Mowbray with a TDF Klaxon as the hooter! I keep thinking there a peloton screaming down the main road :lol:

The first few times are tough, but, dividends will be paid!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

No, it's always tough. I truly despise my single speed. I've had it for 2 and a half years and I hated it from the very first day I rode it. About as much as I hate coriander and asparagus. And yet, I keep coming back for more. What was that definition of insanity?

post-275-0-76888100-1463565290_thumb.jpg

post-61473-0-60412800-1463640487_thumb.jpg

One thing learnt - work shoes are okay to ride with... the stiff soles actually mated well with the flats. Sweaty though.

Had a few weird looks from pedestrians and motorists alike. They where probably wondering where this hairy bum stole this bike :D

Oh man, I don't know how I feel about that point of view 

Lyk my ek bly in die moeilikheid met jou met my woordkeuse... :lol: The Internet has ruined you my friend. :D :D

Lyk my ek bly in die moeilikheid met jou met my woordkeuse... :lol: The Internet has ruined you my friend. :D :D

It has ruined us all. Some things you just can't un-see  :eek:

P.S post a pic of your commuter it looks interesting!