Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

This morning while on my commute  I confronted an oke on Liesbeeck Parkway just after the N2 intersection heading into town.

No lights, jumped the red lights at speed at the major n2 intersection under the bridge, earphones and refused to use cycle lane.

Was expecting aggression but instead got an arrogant gesture to carry on and mind my own business lol.

Hope I got some sort of message across.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning while on my commute  I confronted an oke on Liesbeeck Parkway just after the N2 intersection heading into town.

No lights, jumped the red lights at speed at the major n2 intersection under the bridge, earphones and refused to use cycle lane.

Was expecting aggression but instead got an arrogant gesture to carry on and mind my own business lol.

Hopefully Darwin doesn't take too long to sort this out.

Good on you for saying something , but taking a South African to task seldom goes well ! 

Good on you for saying something , but taking a South African to task seldom goes well ! 

Not really cycle commuting related, however I was on my scooter on HP, I had stopped at a set of robots behind a handyman's bakkie with ladders and paint in it. He pulls off from the robot when it turns green and the tailgate falls open, only being held up by the rope on the cover...the one ladder almost slides out and it starts tipping over a bucket of paint.

I manage to get up alongside his drivers window and start gesturing that there is a problem at the back - to which he answers "F** off" and waves his hand at me so I keep on at him and he keeps up the same attitude until he winds down his window to shout at me, at which point I yell that his stuff is about to fall out his bakkie....

He then quickly pulls over to sort out the issue - but it made me think, here I am trying to help and not have  his stuff fall out his vehicle and cause a potential accident and I'm the one getting told to eff off....what has this place come to?

Not really cycle commuting related, however I was on my scooter on HP, I had stopped at a set of robots behind a handyman's bakkie with ladders and paint in it. He pulls off from the robot when it turns green and the tailgate falls open, only being held up by the rope on the cover...the one ladder almost slides out and it starts tipping over a bucket of paint.

I manage to get up alongside his drivers window and start gesturing that there is a problem at the back - to which he answers "F** off" and waves his hand at me so I keep on at him and he keeps up the same attitude until he winds down his window to shout at me, at which point I yell that his stuff is about to fall out his bakkie....

He then quickly pulls over to sort out the issue - but it made me think, here I am trying to help and not have  his stuff fall out his vehicle and cause a potential accident and I'm the one getting told to eff off....what has this place come to?

this is the attitude that most south africans have, and then people get all upset when they've been driving x amount of km with a flat wheel or something else wrong and "nobody even bothered to tell me"

Its because most people have decided its easier to point and laugh then move on rather than face a barrage of abuse trying to make the driver aware.

Same as getting fellow cyclists to ride responsibly, whether you're in a car or on a bike you get the same abusive attitude, so I've just stopped doing it.

He then quickly pulls over to sort out the issue - but it made me think, here I am trying to help and not have his stuff fall out his vehicle and cause a potential accident and I'm the one getting told to eff off....what has this place come to?

You sir, are a patient man. A good man.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

reminds me of this... https://youtu.be/CssNKxf7z6w 

so, been doing the Melkbos to Paarden Eiland commute this week. What I've learn't is that a 23km commute makes you farking hungry.

I know the feeling.  Every year in spring when I start my commutes, I go from almost no exercise to burning 2500 kcal per day extra.  By the second day my desk starts looking rather appetizing.

I do a 29km commute each way at the moment...we are moving offices fairly soon and I am hoping that the distance comes down a fraction...

so, been doing the Melkbos to Paarden Eiland commute this week. What I've learn't is that a 23km commute makes you farking hungry.

What time do you come past Bayside or Dolphin beach ... we leave daily at 6:45am from the Vet opposite Bayside!

What time do you come past Bayside or Dolphin beach ... we leave daily at 6:45am from the Vet opposite Bayside!

ja I've seen you guys when I drive, but on the bike I get to Dolphin Beach around 6.30ish to get to work around 7.00

I did a Rondebosch to montague gardens commute twice last year (didnt have the willpower to wake up at 5am)

anyway I actually couldnt carry enough food, your body becomes a black hole of snacks, it explains why the flash is always eating

I work from home now, but I will on occasion join my wife on her 3.6km morning commute to the station. A 7.2km cycle on a single speed is like a good slap in the face to wake me up for the day.  This morning was -6 so more like a PK! 

I work from home now, but I will on occasion join my wife on her 3.6km morning commute to the station. A 7.2km cycle on a single speed is like a good slap in the face to wake me up for the day.  This morning was -6 so more like a PK

That was you wife smacking you for not taking her to the station by car.  :whistling:

I work from home now, but I will on occasion join my wife on her 3.6km morning commute to the station. A 7.2km cycle on a single speed is like a good slap in the face to wake me up for the day.  This morning was -6 so more like a PK!

My daughter lives in Rotterdam and was never a fanatical cyclist.But now thinks nothing of riding 8kms to work in her work clothes during winter.

We even talk via whatsapp while she is riding home.