Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

The comment about looking poor made me think of what happened a few months back at work, one of the women came and asked me if I needed a lift to work. I had to explain that this is something I actually enjoy doing, haha.

Reminds me of the times that I had when I bought my Passat.  When the car needed to go for its service, I get kitted out in my cycling kit, load the bike in the boot and drive off to the dealership and drop the car off.  While everybody is waiting to be taken to their places of work I would pull the bike out of the boot, hop on and commute to work.  The facial expressions were priceless. 

The scenes would repeat itself when I would arrive at the dealership the afternoon all sweaty after a good ride and while I waited for my car to brought out, I would also get some funny looks.  How those faces changed when the car arrives and I drop the car in the boot.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of the times that I had when I bought my Passat.  When the car needed to go for its service, I get kitted out in my cycling kit, load the bike in the boot and drive off to the dealership and drop the car off.  While everybody is waiting to be taken to their places of work I would pull the bike out of the boot, hop on and commute to work.  The facial expressions were priceless. 

The scenes would repeat itself when I would arrive at the dealership the afternoon all sweaty after a good ride and while I waited for my car to brought out, I would also get some funny looks.  How those faces changed when the car arrives and I drop the car in the boot.

That is exactly how I have operated for the last decade. The only ones who never seem surprised are the ones that look after my Landrovers . They seem to know their customers are a bit eccentric at the best of times. The BMW, Merc & Jeep peeps always acted like they thought I was mad and would be killed in the traffic before they finish the service, so they just tried to extract all my money before I died.   ;)  :D

Edited by DJR

The backpack is a bit of a pain on longer commutes, but I'm afraid a carrier on my road bike just wont cut it... I'm thinking of permanently leaving a pair of shoes at work to make the daily load less...

I keep my towel, a couple of pairs of shoes, and pants in the office ... only commute with my t-shirt r shirt for the day and underwear / deodorant.

That is exactly how I have operated for the last decade. The only ones who never seem surprised are the ones that look after my Landrovers . They seem to know their customers are a bit eccentric at the best of times. The BMW, Merc & Jeep peeps always acted like they thought I was mad and would be killed in the traffic before they finish the service, so they just tried to extract all my money before I died.   ;)  :D

My last car I bought I made sure to fit a towbar .... prior to that I used to fit the bicycle in the boot when driving to a trail. 

What I used to when buying cars prior to this, I used to cycle to dealerships and then ask if I could see if the bicycle would fit in the boot before test driving the the car :P

It was more the waiting customers who gave me the funny looks. The Technicians and staff got used to me very quickly.  I did lots of marketing for VW ... could load a roadbike in the boot in a couple of seconds :D

My last car I bought I made sure to fit a towbar .... prior to that I used to fit the bicycle in the boot when driving to a trail. 

What I used to when buying cars prior to this, I used to cycle to dealerships and then ask if I could see if the bicycle would fit in the boot before test driving the the car :P

Had a Jetta 5.  Could fit two road bikes and some bags for kit and stuff for one night overnight stay in the boot.  One year we went to do the Jock.  Myself and my sister-in-law went accompanied by my wife and the then friend of my sister.  As were driving through Witbank on our way to Nelspruit and start spotting other cyclists on the way for the Jock, the friend noticed the bikes on the cars and realised ... where are your bikes?  I said, oh, in the boot, why?   His face was priceless :D

Edited by Bateleur1

A mate of mine went to test rides with two bikes and he wouldn't test ride anything unless he could fit in both. He ended up buying a Caddy.

I also do the cycle to and from the dealership thing when I service my bakkie. Or I walk to the office. The service staff are used to me by now. Once I pitched up after a MTB ride (I have very flexible work hours) all muddy and sweaty to fetch my bakkie. Winning.

A mate of mine went to test rides with two bikes and he wouldn't test ride anything unless he could fit in both. He ended up buying a Caddy.

I also do the cycle to and from the dealership thing when I service my bakkie. Or I walk to the office. The service staff are used to me by now. Once I pitched up after a MTB ride (I have very flexible work hours) all muddy and sweaty to fetch my bakkie. Winning.

It was more the waiting customers who gave me the funny looks. The Technicians and staff got used to me very quickly.  I did lots of marketing for VW ... could load a roadbike in the boot in a couple of seconds :D

When I take the car for a service I am usually treated like a new client ....... we do such little mileage due to me commuting to work .... then the look of "you must be joking" when I quote the mileage the car is coming in for a service for vs the age of the car.

When I take the car for a service I am usually treated like a new client ....... we do such little mileage due to me commuting to work .... then the look of "you must be joking" when I quote the mileage the car is coming in for a service for vs the age of the car.

You should mention the milage you bikes do :D

Apparently, it is the cyclist's fault for almost crashing into a rapidly opening car door, and not the person who opens it without looking. The cyclist gets the death look and is told to f-off...

And while I am at it - I see all the taxis have those PPA "Wider of the rider" stickers, but they don't really live by that suggestion (like most people that seem to have those stickers!).

I have done that for the last 7 or 8 years ... they are always surprised when they ask if I need a lift and I say 'no I got my bike here'  :thumbup:

I leave my office shoes in the office, and use a pair of older tekkies for the commute (flat pedals).

Also leave the "belt" at work.  Thus only a shirt and pants that needs to be transported.

some deodorant in the office drawer also helps ... :)

Why aren't you doing this already?

Also - what I used to do in London and again here when I have the chance to commute during the week is take a stockpile of shirts and socks in on monday, and hang them in the communal change-rooms (london) or fold them properly and put them in a drawer (here) and just ride in every day in between. 

Put the dirties in a gym bag, take that home in the car on Friday. 

Essentially the only thing I end up taking home is the laptop, if anything. 

I bring a whole weeks worth of working clothes in on a Monday, then take it back on a Friday.

So Tuesday to Thursdays I have no backpack :)

I keep my towel, a couple of pairs of shoes, and pants in the office ... only commute with my t-shirt r shirt for the day and underwear / deodorant.

My commute is currently only about 4km, but will soon increase to about 16km.

Since we dress casually at work it's never really been worth it to plan when I might need what pair of shoes or a belt or something at home just to reduce the daily load. I'll definitely use these tactics after the big move and use the work shower daily!

I am thinking of running into work (or maybe home this afternoon), then carrying a phone becomes a pain. Anyone else here run to/from work?

I bought myself a pair of running leggings that have a zip pocket at the back. My distance to work is a bit far to run, but I have occasionally run 10kms to the bus stop and then hopped on a bus for the rest of the journey. On those occasions I have my phone wrapped in a zip-lock bag in my pocket. It fits nice and snug, so I hardly notice it's there.

I am thinking of running into work (or maybe home this afternoon), then carrying a phone becomes a pain. Anyone else here run to/from work?

I did some running to work last year which requires a bit of planning to limit what you need to carry. I used a small drawstring backpack (similar to the one we got at Argus registration this year but smaller) tied firmly on my back to carry phone, wallet and keys. I stuffed some bubble wrap in there to help reduce the bounce even more. It's not great and if I wanted to do it more often I might have looked into a small camel back that can be used for trail running also.

I run to and from work once a week or so, cycle another twice.  Distance is about 9 km each way so quite fatiguing doing the running bit too frequently.  Running commute to work is great, sometimes the homeward run is a bit daunting after a busy day.

I use a Camelbak Blowfish which is light and can accommodate shirt, underpants, socks, FOOD, mobile and other bits and pieces.  If I didn't need to transport food etc then the weekly restock and running with a fanny pack (see other thread!) for phone would be my choice

I did some running to work last year which requires a bit of planning to limit what you need to carry. I used a small drawstring backpack (similar to the one we got at Argus registration this year but smaller) tied firmly on my back to carry phone, wallet and keys. I stuffed some bubble wrap in there to help reduce the bounce even more. It's not great and if I wanted to do it more often I might have looked into a small camel back that can be used for trail running also.

seen a couple of runners doing this on their commutes to work.