Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I had my first car connection this morning. Lady turning right into the lane I was coming down in. Hit the side of the car and rolled off the side. Lucky the bike is ok ????. The body is a bit sore but at least I landed on my feet. Ironically the day I sold my car ( I ride my bike a lot more than my car) is the day I had a collision. Not going to tell the wife. So I thought l’ll share it here with you guys.

And still after this incident, I still prefer my bike commute than a car commute. Shame, poor lady was shaken up badly. In the end I was the one comforting her.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first car connection this morning. Lady turning right into the lane I was coming down in. Hit the side of the car and rolled off the side. Lucky the bike is ok . The body is a bit sore but at least I landed on my feet. Ironically the day I sold my car ( I ride my bike a lot more than my car) is the day I had a collision. Not going to tell the wife. So I thought l’ll share it here with you guys.

And still after this incident, I still prefer my bike commute than a car commute. Shame, poor lady was shaken up badly. In the end I was the one comforting her.

Glad you're ok!

Yeah, the car turning across you is always a dodge situation. They always underestimate the speed that you're approaching.  They seem to either have been waiting there a little and want to beat the next group of cars behind you. Or they want sneak across before the bunch of cars arrive. 

I had one of those this morning .... fortunately anticipated the chop's actions and managed to hit the brakes in time.

I had my first car connection this morning. Lady turning right into the lane I was coming down in. Hit the side of the car and rolled off the side. Lucky the bike is ok . The body is a bit sore but at least I landed on my feet. Ironically the day I sold my car ( I ride my bike a lot more than my car) is the day I had a collision. Not going to tell the wife. So I thought l’ll share it here with you guys.

Awesome to hear the bike is OK!

Good to know you're OK. And it won't stop you from keeping on keeping on.

On my way to work last week i was almost sandwiched by a dude in a polo who had just come past me on the right and proceeded to drift over towards the gautrain bus on my left. I have lights on the back and front so there was no way he didnt see me. banged on his passenger window a good few times to wake him up. 

Always amazes me how drivers have to over take just to stop suddenly 5 meters later. 

Yesterday I had a moment where I thought I might need to change my pants. The south easter was particularly vicious yesterday whipping over the muizenberg mountains and pumping across Boyes Drive and westlake roads. It was a fun enough time trying to stay vertical (more like 45 deg into the wind) on the bike as every gust did its upmost to hurl you off to the side. The scary moment came along a narrow single lane stretch along the golf course that does have a dedicated bike lane where a large land cruise came barreling from behind and missed me fractionally as he kept swerving in and out of the bike lane. Thing is I dont think it was intentional as every gust that blew lurched this guys massive car to the side and honestly I think he kakked himself more than I did... Mind you if he had hit me I might be slightly less understanding about the matter . Sometimes its the driver, sometimes the cyclist but also sometimes its none of the above.

Never expect a subway in Rondebosch that has never been locked in the many years that you have known it, to be open on the morning after opening of parliament. All I can think is that it must be part of the road closures to do with yesterdays political circus. Or some local security arrangement? Got there and found locked gates with massive big padlocks.........had to make a bloody detour in the drizzle and through the traffic. Nearly made me late for work. Always expect the unexpected.

Yeah, every so now and again those tunnels are locked. I stopped using them actually. Instead  go around the side of bishops and thru the shell garage. Crossover along the common and then down banksia road and over the canal to rejoin the cycle lane.

I always hear how bad the traffic is out in Tableview, but I don't think I ever really appreciated just how bad it is. At 7 am on a Wednesday morning, that whole area is like one giant parking lot. Car after car after car, for as far as one can see!

It was quite encouraging seeing the number of commuters riding into the city, even with a howling South Easter. If I was a non-cyclist living out there, I would buy an E-bike in the blink of an eye! (Given that South Easter, even as a cyclist, I would consider buying an E-bike)

post-275-0-72809700-1549615177_thumb.png

If you had to interview those drivers, what do you think the top 5 reasons would be for not commuting by bike to work?

I've noticed that after vehicles pass you with enough room they always drift back to the side of the road again, not sure if it's because they are  

a) checking you out in the mirror, to see if you wave your thanks for not killing you,

b) they saved you but now have to kill the invisible cyclist riding just ahead of you, ( Universal Karma and all that)

If you had to interview those drivers, what do you think the top 5 reasons would be for not commuting by bike to work?

(speaking as a cyclist)

Wind

Fitness

Shower facilities

A place to park my bike

The dodgy sections of the bike path

(speaking as a car owner)

I have to take my kids to school

My car is warm/cool and dry

I spent hundreds of thousands of rands on my car - I WILL DRIVE IT

Safety

Wind

I always hear how bad the traffic is out in Tableview, but I don't think I ever really appreciated just how bad it is. At 7 am on a Wednesday morning, that whole area is like one giant parking lot. Car after car after car, for as far as one can see!

It was quite encouraging seeing the number of commuters riding into the city, even with a howling South Easter. If I was a non-cyclist living out there, I would buy an E-bike in the blink of an eye! (Given that South Easter, even as a cyclist, I would consider buying an E-bike)

attachicon.gif20190206_070200-1024x1024.png

Any other day of the week I'd have bumped into you, but I worked from home on Wednesday. Huge day out for you!