Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

If you had to interview those drivers, what do you think the top 5 reasons would be for not commuting by bike to work?

Objective answers would be very interesting and show lack of infrastructure and commuting by cycling tradition, but in reality, I expect this:

1. Safety

2. lazy

3. lazy

4. lazy

5. la...

Edited by Dirkitech

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(speaking as a cyclist)

Wind

Fitness

Shower facilities

A place to park my bike

The dodgy sections of the bike path

(speaking as a car owner)

I have to take my kids to school

My car is warm/cool and dry

I spent hundreds of thousands of rands on my car - I WILL DRIVE IT

Safety

Wind

I spend the day driving between sites

That is my problem, yesterday was Milnerton - Simonstown - Llandadno - V&A - Milnerton

Edited by Maaknplan

See this i would understand as a valid excuse, when i was still a junior tech i would have to drive around the east rand all day. No chance of a commute 

That is my problem, yesterday was Milnerton - Simonstown - Llandadno - V&A - Milnerton

And that is precisely why i drive my vehicle on the Monday morning and then return on the Friday afternoon. If i need the vehicle it is at work. In between i commute on the bicycle. Best of both worlds.

I always hear how bad the traffic is out in Tableview, but I don't think I ever really appreciated just how bad it is. At 7 am on a Wednesday morning, that whole area is like one giant parking lot. Car after car after car, for as far as one can see!

It was quite encouraging seeing the number of commuters riding into the city, even with a howling South Easter. If I was a non-cyclist living out there, I would buy an E-bike in the blink of an eye! (Given that South Easter, even as a cyclist, I would consider buying an E-bike)

attachicon.gif20190206_070200-1024x1024.png

Velouria, you don't need an e-bike, the southeaster needs an e-bike when you are out riding. ;) 

I recall riding past you guys in your matching kit ... 3 x riders?

We were the group with back packs.

I always hear how bad the traffic is out in Tableview, but I don't think I ever really appreciated just how bad it is. At 7 am on a Wednesday morning, that whole area is like one giant parking lot. Car after car after car, for as far as one can see!

It was quite encouraging seeing the number of commuters riding into the city, even with a howling South Easter. If I was a non-cyclist living out there, I would buy an E-bike in the blink of an eye! (Given that South Easter, even as a cyclist, I would consider buying an E-bike)

attachicon.gif20190206_070200-1024x1024.png

I recall riding past you guys in your matching kit ... 3 x riders?

We were the group with back packs.

Yeah, we were the three guys laughing at the commuters battling into the wind. Seventeen hours later and the South Easter had wiped the smiles from our faces.

And that is precisely why i drive my vehicle on the Monday morning and then return on the Friday afternoon. If i need the vehicle it is at work. In between i commute on the bicycle. Best of both worlds.

I do this as often as possible ....

But if my last meeting is in Stellenbosch, then I go straight home in the car .... so often I only commute 2 to 3 days a week.  Still LOVE commuting !! 

Getting to that point where I start smiling if I see I wont finish be closing time .... cause then I WILL commute !!

My initial "fear" was showering after the morning commute.  Used to washing in the basin now ... other than that absolutely NO negatives to commuting.  

Actually - after a bad day, nothing beats a good HARD cycle on the way home, then a few minutes in the pool.

We used to have a site out in Stellies, and I would have a site meeting late every Thursday ... used the be the only day I would take the car to work ... then I would load the bike on the back and do a loop or two of G-Spot ..... seeing as the site was right on the border of G-Spot, and we put a gate in for the Client to access the trails directly from their back garden it worked out well for me .... what I am trying to say is, you have a golden opportunity to ride some lekker trails out that way when seeing a client late in the day.

I do this as often as possible ....

But if my last meeting is in Stellenbosch, then I go straight home in the car .... so often I only commute 2 to 3 days a week.  Still LOVE commuting !! 

Getting to that point where I start smiling if I see I wont finish be closing time .... cause then I WILL commute !!

My initial "fear" was showering after the morning commute.  Used to washing in the basin now ... other than that absolutely NO negatives to commuting.  

Actually - after a bad day, nothing beats a good HARD cycle on the way home, then a few minutes in the pool.

We used to have a site out in Stellies, and I would have a site meeting late every Thursday ... used the be the only day I would take the car to work ... then I would load the bike on the back and do a loop or two of G-Spot ..... seeing as the site was right on the border of G-Spot, and we put a gate in for the Client to access the trails directly from their back garden it worked out well for me .... what I am trying to say is, you have a golden opportunity to ride some lekker trails out that way when seeing a client late in the day.

NOW you are rubbing salt in my wounds ...  :devil:

SO wanted to buy that Caddy ... for this very reason.  As much as we love the Jetta, that Caddy just makes so much more practical sense for our live style ...

Dont disspair though.  Last year I had a 9:00 meeting in Kleinmond .... That was going to be one long ride in the morning traffic ..... Left home just after 5:00, drove to Hermanus, did 12km of the Hermanus trails, took a basin bath, got dressed and then went to the morning meeting.

Had a two day meeting in the Northern Cape ... added some leave days, and took the bike along. 

post-110956-0-05499400-1549650353_thumb.jpg

Gave me these rides to enjoy ...

post-110956-0-34136000-1549650395_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-40127700-1549650442_thumb.jpg

PS - I may well have a few more opportunities for Northern Cape trips this year ....

So YES, I always keep an eye out for those opportunities .... maybe time to do it closer to home as well ...

Edited by ChrisF

I used to do that back in the day when i used to travel. Only then i was body boarding all the time, probably twice a day, but def at least once a day everyday. If I didn't have a board with, then i would hire one. P.e, east london, west coast, durban, knysna, plett, etc and of course our peninsula.

I used to go put in pretty bad conditions and in the best of them. 

I love commuting at this time of year, particularly because I work in Stellenbosch. You're never quite sure who you'll bump into on the road. This morning I caught 3 mountain bikers (eventually), and as I got closer I could see a lot of flags and stripes on their sleeves. The Team Bulls trio of Alban Lekata, Urs Huber and Simon Stiebjahn. 

I did my best "breathe through my nose while giving a cool but friendly wave" as I cruised past them sitting at threshold, my legs and lungs burning!

I love commuting at this time of year, particularly because I work in Stellenbosch. You're never quite sure who you'll bump into on the road. This morning I caught 3 mountain bikers (eventually), and as I got closer I could see a lot of flags and stripes on their sleeves. The Team Bulls trio of Alban Lekata, Urs Huber and Simon Stiebjahn. 

I did my best "breathe through my nose while giving a cool but friendly wave" as I cruised past them sitting at threshold, my legs and lungs burning!

Saw them again this morning, going the other way. I feel we're now commuting buddies as they even gave me a wave from across the R44. Two Bulls and a lady.