Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I am dumbfounded every day by the number of commuters I see cycling without helmets... Especially now when the commute is in the dark in the n hem.

post-275-0-88503700-1544694213_thumb.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my commute this morning I saw another commuter wearing a rugby headguard instead of a helmet.

Well, how about donating an old helmet to the oke?

I am dumbfounded every day by the number of commuters I see cycling without helmets... Especially now when the commute is in the dark in the n hem.

I guess Velouria and some of the other clever hubbers convinced me that it's ok to commute without a helmet - the only reason I still wear one when commuting is not to be called out by the pro-helmet mob   :ph34r:

Edited by Skubarra

I guess Velouria and some of the other clever hubbers convinced me that it's ok to commute without a helmet - the only reason I still wear one when commuting is not to be called out by the pro-helmet mob   :ph34r:

Exactly. Same reason my son has a helmet. Not really to keep his head safe, but to stop the judgy looks one gets when he rides around without one.

I used to be very judgy towards the non helmet wearers. Now it doesn't bother me. Do what you gotta do, as long as it doesn't impact me.

Well, how about donating an old helmet to the oke?

My commute route takes me counter flow to many commuters from Thembisa. I see ( and greet) about 50 everyday.None of them wear helmets. 

I don't have any spare , old helmets at home as we do donate them to commuters when we replace helmets.

I carry spare 26" tubes in my backpack to help stranded commuters get home. One commuter's rear tube must have been patched at least 20 times.   

pppffftttt 20 patches ... that tube is still brand new ... you should see mine :P

My commute route takes me counter flow to many commuters from Thembisa. I see ( and greet) about 50 everyday.None of them wear helmets. 

I don't have any spare , old helmets at home as we do donate them to commuters when we replace helmets.

I carry spare 26" tubes in my backpack to help stranded commuters get home. One commuter's rear tube must have been patched at least 20 times.   

pppffftttt 20 patches ... that tube is still brand new ... you should see mine :P

I'm more impressed that you are strong enough to break a crank arm :whistling:

I'm more impressed that you are strong enough to break a crank arm :whistling:

One could be a dud ...

TWO .... these SS guys are STRONG !!

One could be a dud ...

TWO .... these SS guys are STRONG !!

Most of my riding is done on my SS and my legs are strong ( used to leg press 440kgs) but I have never even bent a crank arm.

So Hairy must be scary

I probably only started wearing a helmet once 15-16 after riding my 50 cc too. 

Also made me think of my brothers accident... we were going downhill on a 2m wide pedestrian road and my brothers' bike brakes snapped and he flew past me and smashed into a passing car passenger's window. In Belgium if you come from the right you have right of way so the car had to pay for all his damage (incl. new brakes) :)