Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

I will never wear earphones with ears full of music. Having 100% hearing while negotiating traffic is too important for me. I would feel physically handicapped if I didn't have my full ability to hear what's coming up behind me.

My ears are my 'eyes in the back of my head'. They are my rearview mirror. They're way too important.

+ 1 from me.

Only place I ever use earphones is out in the Karoo on dead quiet farm roads to nowhere. There I sometimes like to get into the rock groove on the bike.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever noticed that people turn down the car radio when they need to concentrate on a driving move? I think like that on my bike. I want to hear every sound. Like sometimes that bus just sounds too far to the left...

• 2 weeks later...

Yip an in a few weeks time we will see a lot more "commuters" on the road as we draw nearer to the 94.7 cycle challenge

Ill rather not share my footage from commuting though traffic, but I just decided a few weeks back, stuff it, im not spending 45 mins in traffic to work and back. Now I get to work calm, relaxed and I save money and add some time in the saddle. :w00t:

Puking next to the road sucks big time if you are on your way to the office. Just glad I bought a toothbrush and toothpaste last week for the office bag.

Got passed by so many commuters this morning, it sucks big time...

But must say, commuters these days have better bike than the bike I have. Better gears, better frames.

Puking next to the road sucks big time if you are on your way to the office. Just glad I bought a toothbrush and toothpaste last week for the office bag.

Got passed by so many commuters this morning, it sucks big time...

But must say, commuters these days have better bike than the bike I have. Better gears, better frames.

wish we can have these:

http://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/china-cellphone-lane_wong.jpg?w=1100

On Saturday we learnt that the level crossing on Kenilworth road, Cape Town has some nice little slots between the concrete blocks that frame the railway tracks.

These slots have been designed with the sole intent of stopping a road wheel from turning.

Level crossing 2*. Roadies 0.

*Guy behind got such a fright he kapped om as well.

• 2 weeks later...

experienced some lekker head winds this morning in PTA, doubt it is close to the cape winds, but i could definitely feel its quite strong. I am also enjoying the commutes more now that the sun is coming up earlier. now it feels like i actually ride in the day.

Commuting has made me so much stronger. It's great base training. And I'm such a grumpy bastard on the days I don't ride!

Ja, I hear you.  Been working from home the last couple of days and with the security issues at Klapperkop, my commute has been drastically shortened.  Not a happy chappy at this stage :(

Edited by Karinvdw

This is why I don't commute to work on my bicycle anymore, it's just too dangerous. Also, not one cop to be seen anywhere.

https://vimeo.com/108106823

Taxi overtaking cars and almost takes out a cyclist and pedestrians on Garden Road.
Taxis and an orange cab driver creating dust, Kyalami, Main Road.
And more then there was more dust, Lonehill, Main Road.
Vehicles speeding past driving in the yellow line and taxi using turn right only lane to go straight on Main Road crossing over N1 towards Bryanston.
Turning right into Sloan just sewage everywhere AGAIN, FFS.

This is why I don't commute to work on my bicycle anymore, it's just too dangerous. Also, not one cop to be seen anywhere.

https://vimeo.com/108106823

Taxi overtaking cars and almost takes out a cyclist and pedestrians on Garden Road.
Taxis and an orange cab driver creating dust, Kyalami, Main Road.
And more then there was more dust, Lonehill, Main Road.
Vehicles speeding past driving in the yellow line and taxi using turn right only lane to go straight on Main Road crossing over N1 towards Bryanston.
Turning right into Sloan just sewage everywhere AGAIN, FFS.

That is just plain nasty man!

How about digging a couple of deep holes on the LHS of that road, cover with canvas and a light sprinkling of dirt to cover and enjoy the fast stopping taxis the next day .... actually a good idea if it were not for the passengers who could get injured at the same time