Dirt roadies !!!

banna

TWAK!

Sean is just looking for an excuse to be average.

I am a mountainbiker. Nothing else. I want to go fast because to me that is fun. I enter races and not rides. Yes, I do go "riding" with my wife on weekends for MORE fun.

To me a mtb'er is someone that:

1. Does no wear white. I dont mind my white shirts getting dirty.

2. Does no mind to get dirty. In fact he looks forward to it.

3. He does not bitch and moan like a girl if someone does not "hold his line". He HTFU's and overtakes the idiot for good!

4. He drinks beer. Not "whine". :clap:

5. He drives a truck. My Getz thinks its one...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually support Sean on this one, he makes some very good points.

The biggest difference between a roadie and a mountain biker is the attitude towards a fellow rider eg. On the morning ride with the roadie bunch a guy punctures, many guys see this, nobody stops to help, he is left to change the tube in the dark by himself, same scenario while out mountain biking would result in every single person who rides past the punctured rider offering help, I have seen this on many occasions.

I am so gatvol of the *** roadie attitude that is seen most of the time, is it so hard to greet a fellow cyclist ? It always seems that a training ride ends up being a pissing contest as to who is the strongest rider.

I know not all roadies are like this but there are certainly enough out there to deserve the bad name.

Flame away !

ps, Tread is the best magazine on the market, it has brilliant content, is not copy pasted from a back issue of an American magazine and is not covered in ads.

well i dont know about you.. but i'm just a cyclist.. with a passion for cycling.. be it mtbing road cycling. or commuting..

thats what i am.. sometimes i like to smell the roses... othertimes i dont even see them....

+1 :thumbup:

Utter cr@p

Does not warrant detailed response ecept to be disappointed in the lack of insight displayed by the author.

The biggest difference between a roadie and a mountain biker is the attitude towards a fellow rider eg. On the morning ride with the roadie bunch a guy punctures, many guys see this, nobody stops to help, he is left to change the tube in the dark by himself, same scenario while out mountain biking would result in every single person who rides past the punctured rider offering help, I have seen this on many occasions.

I am so gatvol of the *** roadie attitude that is seen most of the time, is it so hard to greet a fellow cyclist ? It always seems that a training ride ends up being a pissing contest as to who is the strongest rider.

I know not all roadies are like this but there are certainly enough out there to deserve the bad name.

Flame away !

Well first off, if you train with them, then you are the hipocrit. I have never left someone behind that punchers. I greet anyone that passes me, sometimes they greet, sometimes they dont, it doesnt matter whether Im on my MTB or road bike. Stop being preconceptios and start being the difference, because I see people that complain as the biggest sinners, because they arent doing anything to actively change it. I am also a CYCLIST, my attetude is the same on both my bikes. I love speed I love obsticles. Ive won mtb races, Ive won road races, I have friends on both sides. Why do you pre judge anyone by the type of bike they are riding/

ps, Tread is the best magazine on the market, it has brilliant content, is not copy pasted from a back issue of an American magazine and is not covered in ads.

FFS! Ring around the nose much?

Dont think the differentiation lies between Road or MTB cyclists.References to human behaviour lies in Social layers that are pre-defined by the way people choose to live and conduct themselves.The sport of cycling tends to accensuate and amplify behavioral patterns that mirror the ethical and moral fibre of an individual.It is often those with the least experience that will volunteer the most advice.Humans seek a feeling of belonging and recgonition driven by EGO.The sessation of the pursuit for significance will answer much of the debate.

Cycle for the love of cycling - No judgement.

This is neither good,nor bad,right or wrong,it simply is.

Peace Brothers and Sisters

There’s an increasing number of people converting from mountain biking to road cycling. It’s really not surprising. After all, roadies were riding 29ers long before the mountain bikers caught on.

And in these tough financial times, it’s good to finish a ride with a bike that does not require a R1000 service caused by those blasted river crossings and penetrating mud. Not everyone has a new test rig to ride every month. ;)

Unlike mountain bikers, roadies welcome converts. We don’t have a label for them. We even overlook the embarrassing behavior that lingers from their old sport. The poor sods soon realize it is no longer necessary to elbow and trample their way right to the start line – the start pace is usually civilized, and there won’t be any bottlenecks.

The mountain bikers soon realize that road cycling is also an outdoor sport, contrary to what certain mountain bike writers would have you believe. And with no obstacles in your way, you have time to really soak up the world around you and appreciate its beauty.

If you’re a convert, and you return to your old sport, don’t be shy to ask for manicured trails, smooth singletrack, and, God forbid, a spot of district road or tar. Nobody likes riding over rough, unprepared terrain – not even mountain bikers.

I wonder who wants to be like who?

What happened to the mountainbiker with hairy legs, baggy shorts and sun visor helmets? Where are those threads where they publicly stated that the will Never wear lycra or shave their legs because it is not a manly thing to do! Today all the mtbikers certainly want to look like roadies with white shoes and customised Jawbones.

Bikes on the road can be traced back to way before the 1700's. The biggest and most famous road race in the world was held in 1903 when 60 men set of to race around France. Mountainbiking begun in the late 70ies when a bearded chap decided to take his Road bike off road. Most of the equipment and technology used in mtb stems from roadbikes. Gears, carbon, hell even 29inch wheels. Given, as mtbing evolved specific equipment was developed, disk brakes, suspension etc.

Each sport has its differences, advantages, good and bad points. I might not be the most technically skilled roadie on a mountain bike but I don't let unicycles get in my way or beat me. I enjoy mtbing for what it is, fun ... off road! If I beat half the field & real mtbikers in the process, that is just the nature of the game and instinctive competitiveness that won't go away.

When I am on the roadbike I am a roadie, the mtb a mtbiker, the trackbike a trackie, the time trial bike a TTer but that is a whole lot of labels already and would not want to be given a new in between road & mtbiking label thank you very much. Let's stick with cyclist for now!

Dont think the differentiation lies between Road or MTB cyclists.References to human behaviour lies in Social layers that are pre-defined by the way people choose to live and conduct themselves.The sport of cycling tends to accensuate and amplify behavioral patterns that mirror the ethical and moral fibre of an individual.It is often those with the least experience that will volunteer the most advice.Humans seek a feeling of belonging and recgonition driven by EGO.The sessation of the pursuit for significance will answer much of the debate.

Cycle for the love of cycling - No judgement.

This is neither good,nor bad,right or wrong,it simply is.

Peace Brothers and Sisters

Is that yout Airbender? Have you demystified the unknown yet?

Flame away !

Weet nie waar jy bly nie my maat maar jy moet wegkom daar.Dink die probleem is waar jy bly

jeez - who gives a toss - its just a buch of okes (and okettes) out there getting fit and enjoying themselves singletrack/jeep track/district road/tar road - who cares! - why categorise everyone into tiny blocks. the government already tells me i am useless tosser - thats enough labels for me thanks very much!

i still read tread though!

Edited by Stretch