Show us your pets

tunariaan

OK, it seems Rudolph had other ideas. Me and the wife decided to postpone the decision until we had a ride up Helderberg and back this morning.

After 7 days of refusing to eat, he started eating this morning when we were back. I also noticed a pitch black watery stool that he left on our driveway with what looked like funny crap in it.

My only thinking is that something was obstructing his digestive system, and caused some bleeding. The vet made an educated guess that was wrong. She did suggest tests, but they would have been very expensive and we trusted her educated opinion, and from my research GSD do suffer from various digestive and skin issues, as well as the fact that cancer is a common occurrence amongst them.

He ate a lot more during the day, but still refuses to eat his normal dog food. My wife cooked him some chicken and rice, which he ate well. We will monitor the situation this week. He sure looked much better today, even decided to chase our one cat.

Sure need some positiveness to break the past 2 weeks negative stuff.

If anybody out there had a similar experience with their dogs, please let me know. BTW, Rudolph never eat other crap like plastic and other such stuff. Our Husky does that on a regular basis.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it seems Rudolph had other ideas. Me and the wife decided to postpone the decision until we had a ride up Helderberg and back this morning.

After 7 days of refusing to eat, he started eating this morning when we were back. I also noticed a pitch black watery stool that he left on our driveway with what looked like funny crap in it.

My only thinking is that something was obstructing his digestive system, and caused some bleeding. The vet made an educated guess that was wrong. She did suggest tests, but they would have been very expensive and we trusted her educated opinion, and from my research GSD do suffer from various digestive and skin issues, as well as the fact that cancer is a common occurrence amongst them.

He ate a lot more during the day, but still refuses to eat his normal dog food. My wife cooked him some chicken and rice, which he ate well. We will monitor the situation this week. He sure looked much better today, even decided to chase our one cat.

If anybody out there had a similar experience with their dogs, please let me know. BTW, Rudolph never eat other crap like plastic and other such stuff. Our Husky does that on a regular basis.

My sister's Australian Cattle Dog almost died in the beginning of the year because of a digestive obstruction. He needed an emergency op and spent 5 days at the vet with various meds, drips and very strong antibiotics. Luckily he pulled through as my dad passed away a month before that and my mom 14 months before that. 

Our vet advised that we feed small portions of soft food, typical canned meat for dogs, for about a week and then chicken and rice, still in small portions, then dry dog food which we wetted a bit and then onto normal food and portions. The first few days we also gave lost of electrolytes and probiotics in the form of Protexin powder. At 11 years Dingo is like a new dog, very energetic and going on like a puppy.

Glad to hear there is a silver lining for your family today!

Good luck and stay strong

My seriously independent and coool 17 year old Abyssinian Tomcat kicked the bucket recently. Left quite a hole in my daily life. Going to have to find another soulmate but these fella's don't come cheap.

My seriously independent and coool 17 year old Abyssinian Tomcat kicked the bucket recently. Left quite a hole in my daily life. Going to have to find another soulmate but these fella's don't come cheap.

maybe instead of looking for a expensive cat, look at getting a rescue/shelter cat.. they always need a home

Ah, really sorry to hear, FatFossil.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maybe instead of looking for a expensive cat, look at getting a rescue/shelter cat.. they always need a home

Amen! Don't shop. Adopt. 

When our daughter is a bit older, we're thinking of getting her a puppy from the SPCA.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Strongs for the loss.

17 years is a long innings for a cat. They usually get run over by cars when they are old because they are slower than they think they are.

Edited by Moridin

• 2 weeks later...