tunariaan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, gemmerbal said:

if you were so inclined you could do ANYHING with him, thats the beauty of the malinois.

So my better half and I decided that I'll take charge of the dog training. She dispenses love, walks and food. I pick up poo and do walks and training.

I took him to his second puppy class yesterday. His first class was a bit of a shambles with all the new dogs and smells etc. Yesterday. OMG! He cleared all of the dog agility obstacles. All. His recall was perfect. His slack lead walking has been 100's from day 1.

The dog trainer said "you have an amazing dog here. I've never seen such a rock solid malinois before" It's as if he was there for a little redemption. And as we were leaving a lady came past on her horse. He's never seen one before so I expected chaos. Nope.

Aaaaand then he ruined my step daughter's knitting this morning.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

5 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

So my better half and I decided that I'll take charge of the dog training. She dispenses love, walks and food. I pick up poo and do walks and training.

I took him to his second puppy class yesterday. His first class was a bit of a shambles with all the new dogs and smells etc. Yesterday. OMG! He cleared all of the dog agility obstacles. All. His recall was perfect. His slack lead walking has been 100's from day 1.

The dog trainer said "you have an amazing dog here. I've never seen such a rock solid malinois before" It's as if he was there for a little redemption. And as we were leaving a lady came past on her horse. He's never seen one before so I expected chaos. Nope.

Aaaaand then he ruined my step daughter's knitting this morning.

Thats awesome! 

we are hoping to get a german shepard pup, in spring time... pure bred.... and i have a german wwii dog training book... hopefully i can teach the dog to be a mean machine at my command.... security around here is very very important...

Edited by Matthew du preez

44 minutes ago, Matthew du preez said:

we are hoping to get a german shepard pup, in spring time... pure bred.... and i have a german wwii dog training book... hopefully i can teach the dog to be a mean machine at my command.... security around here is very very important...

are you in Jozi? training a dog for "personal protection" is hard work but rewarding, but what I have been told by some who have more experience than me, is that these dogs can possibly (note POSSIBLY) be a challenge around friends. and of course, never let your fur-buddy sleep outside. I can watch those PP trained dog videos for hours on Youtube...

44 minutes ago, Matthew du preez said:

another one i love is the Belgian Malinois

Be Terrified

be50230d6154d91473a22df6facffa9c.png

i think that's what Duane has, might have to scroll back to confirm. awesome dogs, VERY trainable, and the choice of the USMC for a good reason.

1 hour ago, Matthew du preez said:

my dad is also partial to the rhodesian ridgeback..

and my mom loves labs

Ive only ever been bitten by ridgebacks so im not quite a fan. And im very comfortable around big dogs. But that is just my own experience. Personally i love the allround ability of the rottie and the fact that they are quite powerful and have one of the strongest bites around. I remember clearly the first time i went to a rottie championship show and saw these black and tan powerhouses in action. What was most impressive was how well balanced they appeared when i decided to approach the owners to start a conversation to find out more about them. Of course not all dogs are the same, but that is why it is advisable to buy from a reputable breeder as they generally breed in a responsible manner - generally. Uncontrolled breeding leeds to unpredictable dogs with unbalanced temperament, and that is when you get in trouble. But this is just my opinion, i can only speak for myself. Ultimately, i remember dog names better than human names… ????

B7C89D97-DDFF-488E-A53F-E0B734D37047.jpeg

8 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

................i remember dog names better than human names… ????

I can tell you the names of dogs I worked with 20 years ago, while I forgot the names of the owners loooong ago.

Some strange names among then, like Cargo and Cash. Cash got his name because he cost a pretty penny and the breeder insisted on payment in paper money. Cargo was imported from the USA and came in a crate with the word Cargo written in big letters on it. One Labrador was named Gertie but her owner never called her anything but Fat Bitch. Everyone else were kind enough to use her real name. Also lots of shooting related names (all gundogs) like Rigby and Nitro. One guy caled all his dogs girl names starting with an M, Muffin, Martha etc. Still waiting for a Muppet. My own dogs names all have a connection with their colours, Coco, Rufus etc.

Strange how people decide on names, but memorable.

Edited by DJR

9 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

are you in Jozi? training a dog for "personal protection" is hard work but rewarding, but what I have been told by some who have more experience than me, is that these dogs can possibly (note POSSIBLY) be a challenge around friends. and of course, never let your fur-buddy sleep outside. I can watch those PP trained dog videos for hours on Youtube...

no i'm in magaliesburg