Show us your pets

tunariaan

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, my colleague's dad passed from Covid and she's trying to find his two dogs a new home. Would this thread be an appropriate place to post an advert with photos?.If not could you recommend an appropriate alternative?ย 

Edited by sawystertrance

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

Guys, my colleague's dad passed from Covid and she's trying to find them a new home. Would this thread be an appropriate place to post an advert with photos?.If not could you recommend an appropriate alternative?ย 

Ei sad situation...

IMO yes, go for it. I'm sure Admin and co will move your post if its not the right place.

ย 

Apologies. I was incredibly vague in my post and forgot to mention it's two boerboels she's trying to re-home. Here goes:

ย 

These two boerboel brothers are looking for a new home together. Their dad died from covid at the beginning of Jan 2022. At the moment they are living on a cattle farm in Limpopo. @Thabapaswa

I will cover the cost to bring them to Cape Town if the correct home is found.ย 

They are approximate ย 5 years old. Igor and Bruno are indoor dogs, used to the spoiled life. ๐Ÿ˜Š
They are well socialized. The farm also had a few camping spots and was pet friendly. So they are used to sharing their space with a lot of other people and other dogs. Not sure about cats, but they ignore all the monkeys and other farm animals.
They love hiking and walk well off-lead.
Strict home checks will apply.
Please dm me for more details.

signal-2022-06-22-15-27-35-072.jpg

7 hours ago, sawystertrance said:

These two boerboel brothers are looking for a new home together. Their dad died from covid at the beginning of Jan 2022. At the moment they are living on a cattle farm in Limpopo. @Thabapaswa

I will cover the cost to bring them to Cape Town if the correct home is found.ย 

They are approximate ย 5 years old. Igor and Bruno are indoor dogs, used to the spoiled life. ๐Ÿ˜Š
They are well socialized. The farm also had a few camping spots and was pet friendly. So they are used to sharing their space with a lot of other people and other dogs. Not sure about cats, but they ignore all the monkeys and other farm animals.
They love hiking and walk well off-lead.
Strict home checks will apply.
Please dm me for more details.

Beautifull dogs, hope they find a deserving home

On 6/23/2022 at 10:02 PM, SwissVan said:

Beautifull dogs, hope they find a deserving home

Thanks. Still no interest from anyone?

Sheesh if only we had a bigger yard...
Plus the recent move has our three (much smaller, but also spoiled rotten) unsettled as is; adding pack members now would be unfair.

On 6/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, sawystertrance said:

Thanks. Still no interest from anyone?

I know its a long shot but try send River rat a PM , if i recall correctly he has a Boerboel* or 2, he may know of someone who can help

*EDIT: Think RR has Rhodesian Ridgebacks, not Boerboels

Here's a link to his hub profile, dont think he is very active here anymore but hopefully he gets a notifcation when you send him a message

River Rat - Bike Hub

Edited by SwissVan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A little update on Ulf.

The class type training really didn't work for him. He just wants to go and he got frustrated in that environment. So we just decided to take the pressure off and run him on the beach etc. We live close to the mountain and the beach so off we go every day. There's a doggy park close to us and I do a little ball throwing and the like with him.

When we're in the doggy park I make him plats. I then make him stay and run away. I then say COME. He comes at me at full pace. I toss a ball and then he hammers the tug I'm holding. It's quite scary having this guy came at me full pace. He always draws a bit of a crowd there and the kids shouting ATTACK is quite funny. We've bought a bite sleeve and we play with that with him a few times a week. I'd like to replace the tug with the bite sleeve at the park but I think the HB dears will have a **** fit thinking I'm training an attack dog in the doggie park.

We have done a bit of scent play with him in the garden where we cut a lemon in half. Hide the one half and let him sniff the other half. Then we make him soek. He's never not found it.

We run with him 2-3 times a week. I've got a waist harness and a stretchy lead. If you see a fat oke running a mali in a red harness on Chappies that's us. He started reacting to cars but we've trained that out of him. If I could stop him gapping for the birds that would be nice....

I've joined a dog trailing group with him where they do trailing of crims and trailing of missing persons. He's only been to two sessions and he's doing amazingly well. We trained at Builders warehouse on Thursday and the top of Constantia last night. He already understands the job. The down side is he is so amped that he pulled me off my feet yesterday. There's another mali there. A proper working dog that's part of constantia crime watch. My dog is a maltese poodle compared to that mad thing. When he barks he bounces in his cage and literally bounces the bakkies suspension. Beautiful but scary.

If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation where a working line mali is chasing you down run TOWARDS the handler. So WHEN it ABSOLUTELY DRILLS YOU you the handler will be nice and close to pry it off you before you lose an arm. I'm not joking.

ulf 1.jpg

ulf 2.jpg

ulf 3.jpg

Edited by Duane_Bosch

On 10/3/2022 at 11:52 AM, Duane_Bosch said:

A little update on Ulf.

The class type training really didn't work for him. He just wants to go and he got frustrated in that environment. So we just decided to take the pressure off and run him on the beach etc. We live close to the mountain and the beach so off we go every day. There's a doggy park close to us and I do a little ball throwing and the like with him.

When we're in the doggy park I make him plats. I then make him stay and run away. I then say COME. He comes at me at full pace. I toss a ball and then he hammers the tug I'm holding. It's quite scary having this guy came at me full pace. He always draws a bit of a crowd there and the kids shouting ATTACK is quite funny. We've bought a bite sleeve and we play with that with him a few times a week. I'd like to replace the tug with the bite sleeve at the park but I think the HB dears will have a **** fit thinking I'm training an attack dog in the doggie park.

We have done a bit of scent play with him in the garden where we cut a lemon in half. Hide the one half and let him sniff the other half. Then we make him soek. He's never not found it.

We run with him 2-3 times a week. I've got a waist harness and a stretchy lead. If you see a fat oke running a mali in a red harness on Chappies that's us. He started reacting to cars but we've trained that out of him. If I could stop him gapping for the birds that would be nice....

I've joined a dog trailing group with him where they do trailing of crims and trailing of missing persons. He's only been to two sessions and he's doing amazingly well. We trained at Builders warehouse on Thursday and the top of Constantia last night. He already understands the job. The down side is he is so amped that he pulled me off my feet yesterday. There's another mali there. A proper working dog that's part of constantia crime watch. My dog is a maltese poodle compared to that mad thing. When he barks he bounces in his cage and literally bounces the bakkies suspension. Beautiful but scary.

If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate situation where a working line mali is chasing you down run TOWARDS the handler. So WHEN it ABSOLUTELY DRILLS YOU you the handler will be nice and close to pry it off you before you lose an arm. I'm not joking.

ulf 1.jpg

ulf 2.jpg

ulf 3.jpg

Spent some time with my cousins a few weekends ago, called Hector (the Protector) and very impressed, amazing agility and drive but BUSY

• 6 months later...

Update on The Ulf

ย 

He's taken to man trailing incredibly well. So much so that we've joined K9 Search and Rescue and we're getting all very serious about it.

He's a trailing dog which means we need a scent item and where the person was last seen to begin a search. He takes scent off the scent item, we do a circle around the scent item for him to detect a direction of travel. Then the harness goes on and it's GO TIME! The attached video he did a trail of about 1km with a few backtracks. He's got such a good nose and incredible drive.

The only negative is he's actually too strong and my lead work is shocking.ย 

We work with 2 types of dog.

Air Scenters. Those would have been used in the Turkey quake disaster. They are trained to indicate on any human scent. The dogs work off lead and there's typically a grid pattern search. Much like you'd do a normal search but a dog's nose is a lot better than a humans eyes.

Cadaver dogs. Same as air scent dogs but they are trained to find dead scent. Dogs tend to shy away from dead scent.ย 

Trailing dogs. My guy is a trailing dog which means he's looking for a specific scent on a trail. We need a scent item and a last known location. We've done some really cool stuff like scent from a car seat and also scent from a body. We've also done aged trails. The one dog took scent from the mom and found a "missing" baby. This was in training in a controlled environment of course.

ย 

The reward he's working for is play time with his tug toy. When he indicates (sits in front of his missing person/perp) the tug comes out and he gets rewarded with a whole lot of tug play.

ย 

He's got a specific trailing harness so when that thing comes out he knows it's go time.ย 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

21 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Update on The Ulf

ย 

He's taken to man trailing incredibly well. So much so that we've joined K9 Search and Rescue and we're getting all very serious about it.

He's a trailing dog which means we need a scent item and where the person was last seen to begin a search. He takes scent off the scent item, we do a circle around the scent item for him to detect a direction of travel. Then the harness goes on and it's GO TIME! The attached video he did a trail of about 1km with a few backtracks. He's got such a good nose and incredible drive.

The only negative is he's actually too strong and my lead work is shocking.ย 

We work with 2 types of dog.

Air Scenters. Those would have been used in the Turkey quake disaster. They are trained to indicate on any human scent. The dogs work off lead and there's typically a grid pattern search. Much like you'd do a normal search but a dog's nose is a lot better than a humans eyes.

Cadaver dogs. Same as air scent dogs but they are trained to find dead scent. Dogs tend to shy away from dead scent.ย 

Trailing dogs. My guy is a trailing dog which means he's looking for a specific scent on a trail. We need a scent item and a last known location. We've done some really cool stuff like scent from a car seat and also scent from a body. We've also done aged trails. The one dog took scent from the mom and found a "missing" baby. This was in training in a controlled environment of course.

ย 

The reward he's working for is play time with his tug toy. When he indicates (sits in front of his missing person/perp) the tug comes out and he gets rewarded with a whole lot of tug play.

ย 

He's got a specific trailing harness so when that thing comes out he knows it's go time.ย 

ย 

Nice thread revival of one of the cooler bike hub topicsโ€ฆ. Pity itโ€™s buried away like it is

We had to say goodbye to our Jack Russel in June 2021, it took a long time before we felt ready to add a new dog to our family.

This is Mia. She is about 4 years old, and weighed around 33kg when she was rescued.
20230308_184306.jpg.a9568ffd17664e3d90771682b387ce83.jpg
Very nearly lost her due to tick bite fever, she must have already been infected but not yet showing symptoms when we got her. But the vet was brilliant, and she pulled through.

Nearly 50kg now, and dwarfs our others
20230326_091053.jpg.2644e81fa351be196e2463b21f63ca55.jpg

Edited by HdB