E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man what would I give to watch this duel between Rabada and Kohli

Edited by SwissVan

its convenient to backup your opinion with restricted factual criteria, like the last 4 years only...

wikipedia says since the advent of limited overs cricket, the side winning the toss and batting first has won 49% of the time, while the side batting second has won 47% of the time. statistically that is irrefutable, and the former is clearly the safer option. anyone with half a braincell can see that, and would be wise to follow suit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toss_(cricket)#Influence_of_toss_on_outcome

A sample set of 500 is just fine.

Safer by 2%, wow that is your criteria for a binary decision?

Btw. The stats for test cricket overwhelmingly favour the side being first, which is what the Chappel quote actually refers too.

Ps. Virat says he would have bowled first, clearly he doesn't have your esteemed cricket brain

or yours.

having played 2 seasons of premier league cricket in the UK, it was evident that the sides bowling first were 9 times out of 10 the ones with a weak batting line up.

have a nice night pro.

Btw. The stats for test cricket overwhelmingly favour the side being first, which is what the Chappel quote actually refers too.

Ps. Virat says he would have bowled first, clearly he doesn't have your esteemed cricket brain

again, a sample set of whatever backs your argument will always be fine... for you.

It was always going to be a tough start to the tournament to play England and India in the first 3 games. The brains trust plan would have considered losing these two games, considering that the side is not at peak strength. Losing agains Bangladesh was suicidal.

That said, we played a good game against India, but were 30 runs short of a par score. The key difference yesterday was how we batted against their spinners vs how they played ours.

Our top order looks frail, Amla have not played crickket at all leading into the tournament, and has been off his best for 2 years, Markram & Vd Dussen are inexperienced, Miller is not in form, and the pressure seems to be getting to Faf. The batsmen need to shape up, but are now under even more pressure. That said, bowling was poor against Bangladesh, if the fight has left the bowling unit too, we are going to lose a few more.

Simple problem; team needs to transform, too many white players. If it isn't that, too many quota's. Sorry.

Slightly more seriously; is the team too old? I see this in the press.

Imo the quotas had no role to play in their WC performance.

Age may be an issue: Amla had fast eyes and wrists, which made his unorthodox technique work. Perhaps both eyesight and wrist speed have slowed a bit with age, say by 5%, which now exposes the technique. Taking him and Steyn based on their reputations was a risk. Tahir is old, but was also the leading wicket taker in the IPL, no age problem there. Miller, QdK, Rassie, Markram, Rabada are not old

(Quotas are killing SA sport at a provincial level imo, but that is a debate for another day)

Watching the game last night the players look unfit,some overweight and all distinctly jaded and caught in the headlights.

Lesser teams at the event are looking sharp and fit and all in.

There is a big problem with our coaching staff and support team to come to the WC unprepared

It was always going to be a tough start to the tournament to play England and India in the first 3 games. The brains trust plan would have considered losing these two games, considering that the side is not at peak strength. Losing agains Bangladesh was suicidal.

That said, we played a good game against India, but were 30 runs short of a par score. The key difference yesterday was how we batted against their spinners vs how they played ours.

Our top order looks frail, Amla have not played crickket at all leading into the tournament, and has been off his best for 2 years, Markram & Vd Dussen are inexperienced, Miller is not in form, and the pressure seems to be getting to Faf. The batsmen need to shape up, but are now under even more pressure. That said, bowling was poor against Bangladesh, if the fight has left the bowling unit too, we are going to lose a few more.

Markram and vd Dussen may be inexperienced, but they are in form players. Apparently Markam played FC cricket on this very ground and scored tons of runs. Then they don't even pick him..

As you said, Amla has gone downhill FAST over the last 2 years and played very few games of cricket before the WC. And the games he did play he scored no runs. Then you have Duminy, and don't even get me started on him! Over the last 3 years and 31 innings, he scored three 50's.. Miller is too inconsistent, 1 good score every 20 or so innings isn't good enough. 

Then you have Steyn that went to England with a sore shoulder, and Ngidi was battling injuries too.

So as is often the case with rugby, I think the proteas coaches picked too many players on reputations. Beaden Hendricks should've gone instead of Amla. Duminy wouldn't even be in my squad. And as sad as it is to leave Steyn out, it was stupid taking him KNOWING he wouldn't be fit for the first 2 games, and a doubt for the rest of the tournament. 

I really hope they can turn things around, but the vibe in the team doesn't look lekker..

or yours.

having played 2 seasons of premier league cricket in the UK, it was evident that the sides bowling first were 9 times out of 10 the ones with a weak batting line up.

have a nice night pro.

Did not know you were a former pro cricketer, but still think that winning the toss does not mean automatically batting first in limited overs cricket.

Let's turn this around.

9 games played so far this tournament.

8 captains have chosen to field first, Faf against India was the only to bat first. Virat said he would have bowled first if he won the toss.

Do you really think all these captains have made the wrong decision?

AB offered to come out of retirement for WC but turned down by management http://es.pn/2HZcfKs

saw that, was waiting for it.

I'm sorry, but I unfortunately have to agree with the selectors. AB can't just chop and change his mind like that. If he really wanted to play WC, he shouldn't have taken himself out of the running.

Him leaking this to the media now(if it was him), is also a d:(k move 

Imo the quotas had no role to play in their WC performance.

Age may be an issue: Amla had fast eyes and wrists, which made his unorthodox technique work. Perhaps both eyesight and wrist speed have slowed a bit with age, say by 5%, which now exposes the technique. Taking him and Steyn based on their reputations was a risk. Tahir is old, but was also the leading wicket taker in the IPL, no age problem there. Miller, QdK, Rassie, Markram, Rabada are not old

(Quotas are killing SA sport at a provincial level imo, but that is a debate for another day)

I agree.

Taking Steyn was a risk, it didn't pay off but I don't think Beuran would have started any of the games either so it's really a moot point. Ottis has banked on an arsenal of fastbowlers + Tahir being the silver bullet for us since about 2 years ago. The plan was to bowl teams out or restrict the scores as a bowler heavy XI doesn't need to bat so deep. This has backfired as the top6 are not firing and there's little to fall back on.

Our player of the match yesterday, Chris Morris didn't play an ODI for 14 months when he was selected in the squad.

saw that, was waiting for it.

I'm sorry, but I unfortunately have to agree with the selectors. AB can't just chop and change his mind like that. If he really wanted to play WC, he shouldn't have taken himself out of the running.

Him leaking this to the media now(if it was him), is also a d:(k move

Yeah, agree. He was asked on numerous occasions to return but decide on the evening of the squad announcement to come out of retirement?? Would have declined as well