Cricket......

E1A104

From Firdose Moonda, I like this piece about AB, sums him up quite brilliantly:

"While de Villiers yo-yoed between wanting to be the best batsman in the world to wanting to keep wicket, to having a bad back and not wanting to keep wicket, to wanting to support Hashim Amla as Test captain, to admitting to feeling let down that he wasn't named captain, to threatening to retire early because of his heavy workload, to taking a sabbatical, du Plessis was there, consistently being consistent." 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28723721/faf-du-plessis-gave-all-south-africa-take-anymore

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, great T20 and ODI series against the poms! Finally our batsmen started scoring some runs. I'm a little worried about our bowling, didn't seem to great at times. But that's the modern game I suppose, it favours batsmen more than bowlers. 

As for Faf, it was the right time and right thing to do. I was never his biggest fan, but he did well through some really difficult times. Hopefully he gets back into form again now with the bat.

As for the next captain, I agree with the sentiments that Bavuma must earn his place in the test team first. And even then, I also get the feeling that people think they can copy and paste the rugby template. My vote goes to Quinny, but perhaps they should consider giving the gloves to someone else then? Take some of the load off him.

ODI's and T20's they can make whoever they want captain

dunno about QdK as test captain, let's see how he goes in limited overs stuff first.

i just think it is just too much to be keeper/captain and then opening batter too - if he can handle all of it, then test cricket could be the next step.

great article from a year ago

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1177784/the-effortless-genius-of-quinton-de-kock

What could make it work is the second keeper option. england and australia both have multiple keeper/batsmen in their squads. Kyle Verreyne is surely close to getting into the mix in this regard.

sence was spoken right there, every word.

From Firdose Moonda, I like this piece about AB, sums him up quite brilliantly:

"While de Villiers yo-yoed between wanting to be the best batsman in the world to wanting to keep wicket, to having a bad back and not wanting to keep wicket, to wanting to support Hashim Amla as Test captain, to admitting to feeling let down that he wasn't named captain, to threatening to retire early because of his heavy workload, to taking a sabbatical, du Plessis was there, consistently being consistent." 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28723721/faf-du-plessis-gave-all-south-africa-take-anymore

dunno about QdK as test captain, let's see how he goes in limited overs stuff first.

i just think it is just too much to be keeper/captain and then opening batter too - if he can handle all of it, then test cricket could be the next step.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1177784/the-effortless-genius-of-quinton-de-kock

What could make it work is the second keeper option. england and australia both have multiple keeper/batsmen in their squads. Kyle Verreyne is surely close to getting into the mix in this regard.

Only way that would work is if we had a viable batting allrounder to pick for the test team. Not sure if Dwayne Pretorius or George Linde is capable enough to allow for that. Also not sure if Wiaan Mulder has played much this season or if he has any kind of form that'll allow for him to be an option.

That said I would dearly love for Verreyne to get a shot at test cricket.

let Klaasen keep wicket in the test side, then QdK can pretty much bat wherever he wants. Im not convinced he is a test opener, however he has opened the batting for the Lions, so maybe thats the way to go. I also dont like the idea of putting so much work on his shoulders. I must admit he has shown some good potential as captain so I like that move.

And it has to be said, he is the only guy who's name can be written in INK when you jot down your team for a TEST/ODI/T20.

Temba is showing glimpses of good form, Im glad that he came back fighting the way he has. But we cant "Kolisi" him, he needs to be free to score runs in my opinion.

Rabada has no experience as captain. To even suggest that is dumb.

Lucky for our test side we have only bread crumbs as far as test matches is concerned for the foreseeable future, so all this debate is pretty much useless. So in other words, my contribution to this fred will be limited until then :)

let Klaasen keep wicket in the test side, then QdK can pretty much bat wherever he wants. Im not convinced he is a test opener, however he has opened the batting for the Lions, so maybe thats the way to go. I also dont like the idea of putting so much work on his shoulders. I must admit he has shown some good potential as captain so I like that move.

And it has to be said, he is the only guy who's name can be written in INK when you jot down your team for a TEST/ODI/T20.

Temba is showing glimpses of good form, Im glad that he came back fighting the way he has. But we cant "Kolisi" him, he needs to be free to score runs in my opinion.

Rabada has no experience as captain. To even suggest that is dumb.

Lucky for our test side we have only bread crumbs as far as test matches is concerned for the foreseeable future, so all this debate is pretty much useless. So in other words, my contribution to this fred will be limited until then :)

I'd be fine with Klaasen getting a run too, we don't have a shortage of decent keeper/batsmen currently.

Temba is now injured!

guess who is scoring runs in the MODC? - Hamza

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=13186;type=tournament

ai, its always something. I hope Temba gets himself sorted soon.

Hamza is a good player. Test cricket is just a big step up, and hopefully he has now seen that and comes back stronger. We need a solid nr.3 batsman in our test team, and that is a dark art just like opening the batting.

Yes we seem to have a couple of decent keeper/batsmen going around. I also liked what I saw of George Linde when he got a run in India, and he has also been scoring runs this season. I sincerely hope we don't lose him from the system. Having said that, Brexit finally happened and we should now see less players leaving as a result of Kolpak signings. The ancestral visa route will always be there, as was seen with young Bedingham.

I'd be fine with Klaasen getting a run too, we don't have a shortage of decent keeper/batsmen currently.

Temba is now injured!

guess who is scoring runs in the MODC? - Hamza

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=13186;type=tournament

ai, its always something. I hope Temba gets himself sorted soon.

Hamza is a good player. Test cricket is just a big step up, and hopefully he has now seen that and comes back stronger. We need a solid nr.3 batsman in our test team, and that is a dark art just like opening the batting.

Yes we seem to have a couple of decent keeper/batsmen going around. I also liked what I saw of George Linde when he got a run in India, and he has also been scoring runs this season. I sincerely hope we don't lose him from the system. Having said that, Brexit finally happened and we should now see less players leaving as a result of Kolpak signings. The ancestral visa route will always be there, as was seen with young Bedingham.

probably the most amazing thing about this england tour is how few south africans there were on the winning side.

Normally it is either 3 or 4 or the whole 11 Saffas winning test matches in the Basil D'oliviera trophy. Just UK born Sam curran with his japie accent this time around, have england finally got their feeder system right?

you forget about Dawie Malan ;) but yes, your point is very valid! Dont forget about the Irish captain and the NZ born allrounder though...

;)

EDIT: and the Barbadian fast bowler...

probably the most amazing thing about this england tour is how few south africans there were on the winning side.

Normally it is either 3 or 4 or the whole 11 Saffas winning test matches in the Basil D'oliviera trophy. Just UK born Sam curran with his japie accent this time around, have england finally got their feeder system right?

Edited by gemmerbal

you forget about Dawie Malan ;) but yes, your point is very valid! Dont forget about the Irish captain and the NZ born allrounder though...

;)

EDIT: and the Barbadian fast bowler...

Dawid Malan was born in England

Don’t worry about that in future. After the U19 World Cup we will probably be raiding Bangladesh for recruits, not the Proteas .

Indeed sir. But he was schooled at Paarl Boys high and played for the Wellington Cricket Club and Boland until he decided to commit to England, i think around 2009/10/11. I played with him at Bellville for a season, around 2010. But well spotted.

As a sidenote, his dad also played cricket in SA, for WP B Transvaal B. Dawid junior was merely born in England, but he was a Saffa until he decided to commit to England. He played all of his junior cricket in SA for the various Nuffield weeks etc.

Dawid Malan was born in England

Edited by gemmerbal

Friday is going to be packed at the Wanderers.

The Aussies have a really good side.Looking forward to it.This series is good for us coming out of a fairly strong and spirited showing against the poms.

TBH I have had enough of the verbal abuse, spitting and general bad behaviour by a certain minority in the crowd.Keep it tough but clean. :thumbup:

Friday is going to be packed at the Wanderers.

The Aussies have a really good side.Looking forward to it.This series is good for us coming out of a fairly strong and spirited showing against the poms.

TBH I have had enough of the verbal abuse, spitting and general bad behaviour by a certain minority in the crowd.Keep it tough but clean. :thumbup:

Joh!

A bit shell shocked today i am