Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

India vs Eng:

The first Test at the new Narendra Modi stadium will be remembered as the shortest one ever played in India. This day-night Test, the first first-class match played at the ground since 2013, will also be remembered as the shortest completed Test globally since 1935.

Sauce: CricInfo

all this talk of 5 day cricket taking too long.

India and England are turning it into a 2 day affair

England's got a new bowling sensation! took 5/8 in the first innings and now opening the bowling ahead of anderson/broad/archer

"Joe Root finishes with 5 for 8, his maiden bag o' five in Tests, as India fell from 114 for 3 to 145 all out."

Crazy Cricket it seems. Going to have to find the extended highlights for this.

"Joe Root finishes with 5 for 8, his maiden bag o' five in Tests, as India fell from 114 for 3 to 145 all out."

Watched some of the match while visiting family in Fisherhaven. It seemed a difficult pitch to get in on as the batsmen had an incredibly hard time picking whether the ball will be turning or not in addition of trying to read the spin from out the hand of the bowler. I think a lot of the wickets were created by the threat of big turn as much as it was gotten with turn. Apparently the pink ball also skids more due to the extra layer of lacquer on it, which made playing arm balls and straighter deliveries both harder and paramount. England's selection policies being called into question but Nasser Hussain has also points out that the Indian spinners are better than the English ones. 

While this link isn't highlights it is a fascinating discussion regarding an incredible test match (and entertaining series): 

Hussain, Atherton, Key & Ward react to England’s 2-day defeat to India! - YouTube

Just remember that if England somehow manage to square the series it'll be Australia playing against New Zealand rather than India, as it is at the moment, in the WTC Final. India needs to win or get a draw to ensure that they play in that final.

You could just watch the entire match again; will take the same amount of time as the extended highlights

Edited by Craai

India vs Eng:

The first Test at the new Narendra Modi stadium will be remembered as the shortest one ever played in India. This day-night Test, the first first-class match played at the ground since 2013, will also be remembered as the shortest completed Test globally since 1935.

Sauce: CricInfo

i was more shocked to see that there is a test ground named after a currently sitting prime minister.

I thought that was a bit odd (unless it was in pakistan, where the PM has got some decent averages) so looked a bit deeper into it.

It was changed on wednesday, it's the Gujarat stadium!

and at the same time, the naming rights to the ends were auctioned off to companies.

how flippen power hungry is that psycho?

Lion Lager in a Lions mug watching the final and the Lions are on fire. Yes I know it’s a rugby mug but it counts.

Turned out to be quite a tense match given how well the Lions bowled during the Dolphin's innings. A little wobble that got course corrected by Mulder and Potgieter with Fortuin smacking the winning runs. I just loved that the two best teams from the group phase were the ones playing in the final. And it was a good final! 

Here's some highlights: 

CSA T20 Challenge | Final | Hollywoodbets Dolphins v Imperial Lions | Highlights - YouTube

sanity has prevailed.

Elgar Test captain

Temba for ODI and T20

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/south-africa-name-dean-elgar-test-captain-and-temba-bavuma-odi-and-t20i-captain-1253753

Next thing to do is to get the right program/people in for QdK and Rabada. Our two world class players are not performing to their potential - these matchwinners are worth the investment and the rest will follow

sanity has prevailed.

Elgar Test captain

Temba for ODI and T20

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/south-africa-name-dean-elgar-test-captain-and-temba-bavuma-odi-and-t20i-captain-1253753

Next thing to do is to get the right program/people in for QdK and Rabada. Our two world class players are not performing to their potential - these matchwinners are worth the investment and the rest will follow

A step in the right direction. Definitely too much on the plate for QdK. Was happy to see him given a break for T20 Challenge.

Temba's appointment means he is going to get an extended run and personally I hope he will continue to open the batting with QdK. They make for a solid opening partnership as we saw in the series against England and Australia last season. It also makes the test batting line up a bit more sure and the only real discussion will be where to bat whoever replaces Faf. Personally I want either of Peterson or Van Tonder or Verreyne who all have been impressive this season. And in both Peterson and Verreyne's case over the past few seasons. With Verreyne you'll probably want him at four, whereas with Peterson and Van Tonder it's a case of three or four. Would be keen to hear your thoughts on the batting line up?

• 2 weeks later...

Some legit legends playing here, and some very recently retired too! I would have thought JN Rhodes was a bit too long in the tooth but he's performing with the bat.

SA are in the semis later today, but SL bowled us out cheapo in the pool game.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/road-safety-world-series-2019-20-2020-21-1217118/sri-lanka-legends-vs-south-africa-legends-2nd-semi-final-1253511/live-cricket-score

A step in the right direction. Definitely too much on the plate for QdK. Was happy to see him given a break for T20 Challenge.

Temba's appointment means he is going to get an extended run and personally I hope he will continue to open the batting with QdK. They make for a solid opening partnership as we saw in the series against England and Australia last season. It also makes the test batting line up a bit more sure and the only real discussion will be where to bat whoever replaces Faf. Personally I want either of Peterson or Van Tonder or Verreyne who all have been impressive this season. And in both Peterson and Verreyne's case over the past few seasons. With Verreyne you'll probably want him at four, whereas with Peterson and Van Tonder it's a case of three or four. Would be keen to hear your thoughts on the batting line up?

QdK is the first name on the Test teamsheet, right? Maybe not, Verreyne is pushing for a slot on his batting over the past few years. and actually in the top 6 run scorers in the current 4day season, 3 are keeprs.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=13766;type=tournament

(markram is cashing in solidly, and R v Tonder is also in fine form)

Some legit legends playing here, and some very recently retired too! I would have thought JN Rhodes was a bit too long in the tooth but he's performing with the bat.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/road-safety-world-series-2019-20-2020-21-1217118/sri-lanka-legends-vs-south-africa-legends-2nd-semi-final-1253511/live-cricket-score

QdK is the first name on the Test teamsheet, right? Maybe not, Verreyne is pushing for a slot on his batting over the past few years. and actually in the top 6 run scorers in the current 4day season, 3 are keeprs.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=13766;type=tournament

Yeah sorta half following the legends matches. Been more focused on the Ladies series against India. Remarkable win for them. Also the India England T20I's have been good as well.

There have been some very impressive performances in the 4 Day Franchise series. However ito Verreyne I was purely thinking of him being picked as a batsman and nothing else. The keeping ability being a pleasant plus for just in case.

And then they bowl us out cheapo in the semis too. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] A cake walk win for them.

WRT the 4 Day Franchise series the guy I have been most impressed by has been Van Tonder. To my best knowledge it is his full season of elite level domestic cricket and he has done incredibly well. Looks like a batter that puts a high price on his wicket. Pieter Malan also turned his season around beautifully and should be back in the discussion for replacing Faf. Looking forward to the final in Durbs between the two form teams for this season. It should be a cracker.