Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Chris Morris, I followed his career ever since he and Hardus Viljoen rocked that international t20 tournament in SA way back when. I dont know why he is not in the SA squad. He is clearly valued in the IPL, well done to him!

Edited by Christie

Still don't know why this dude isn't given the respect in SA that he deserves.

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricket/ipl/sas-chris-morris-sensationally-bought-for-ipl-record-fee-of-r325-million-20210218

SA's Chris Morris sensationally bought for IPL record fee of R32.7 million

he went for a big fee in an IPL from relative obscurity about 6/7 years ago. I dunno if his IPL fee reflects his performances there.

For some weird reason, the general IPL values seem to be more driven by a bunch of ego hungry rich dudes than actual on field performance. I'm sure it's been looked at in depth but there seems to be very little method to the madness.

but ja it is weird, He was the best player in a very dismal ICC World Cup yet never made the team again. very weird.

I don't think one can argue with that.

AB is the real deal, no point really comparing him to Faf, they're mates anyway.

we may not see much more of AB in proteas kit, the IPL stuff will be there in fits and starts for another season or two. but bet your bottom dollar there is loads more of this magic still in the box

Chris Morris is arguably SA's best All Rounder and can fill that role across all 3 formats quite comfortably. How he gets overlooked for Andile is beyond me(Yes i do know why though, numbers must balance). the next best All Rounder behind Morris would be Mulder for me and then maybe Pretorius, But to not choose Morris is criminal.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Jacques Rudolph? Kruger van Wyk? Neil Wagner? Heino Kuhn? Whoever could you be referring to?

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. A dashing wicketkeeper batsman if memory serves me right. 

Chris Morris is arguably SA's best All Rounder and can fill that role across all 3 formats quite comfortably. How he gets overlooked for Andile is beyond me(Yes i do know why though, numbers must balance). the next best All Rounder behind Morris would be Mulder for me and then maybe Pretorius, But to not choose Morris is criminal.

Pretty simple: Andile has performed at international level more consistently than what Chris has given that both have over 40 ODI's to their credit. Andile's ODI record is better than that of Chris with both bat and ball whereas Chris merely shades Andile in T20I's. Chris is the better red ball player and it does reflect in their numbers but he hasn't played a FC game in a year and a half and to my best knowledge you must be a part of a domestic teams FC squad to be considered for Test selection. However I don't think either is the planning for the Test team given how well Maharaj has gone and the emergence of both Mulder and Linde as genuine allrounders. Mulder in particular is exciting given that most of his FC cricket has either been our Franchise matches and game time on the county circuit as an overseas pro. Plus when he made his FC debut as a teen it was because Geoff Toyana (the coach of the Lions at the time) didn't want to lose him to another franchise because he felt that Mulder could be as good as one Jacques Kallis at some point in the future. I, for one, wholeheartedly concur with Toyana's view of Mulder. 

Here are links to the Cricinfo Profiles for both Chris and Andile: 

Chris Morris - Check Morris's News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Andile Phehlukwayo - Check Phehlukwayo's News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

And a link to Firdose Moonda's profile of the talented Wiaan Mulder: 

Wiaan Mulder sheds weight and carries the load for South Africa (espncricinfo.com)

Edit: Some our Protea ladies might also query as to why their names aren't being thrown into the best allrounder in SA discussion. In particular Sune Luus, Chloe Tryon, Marizanne Kapp and Dane Van Niekerk might feel their records are good enough for them to be considered.

Edited by Mntboy

definitely white ball, not sure about test cricket - but he should have been given a proper shot there, but i guess age is going to close the door on that.

just out of interest -

CMorris(60 games) 1st class bat/bowl  32/24

DP(60 games) 35/24

WM(32 games) 38/24

so all very similiar really.

definitely white ball, not sure about test cricket - but he should have been given a proper shot there, but i guess age is going to close the door on that.

just out of interest -

CMorris(60 games) 1st class bat/bowl  32/24

DP(60 games) 35/24

WM(32 games) 38/24

so all very similiar really.

For this First Class season the averages (Bat/Bowl) are as follows: 

WM 43.83/44.33 

DP 7.66/29.75

GL 35.83/23.2 

Also including Linde's just for comparison. It also needs to be borne in mind that DP was a part of the SA squad against England so he has not had much FC game time in order to improve those averages.

all this talk of 5 day cricket taking too long.

India and England are turning it into a 2 day affair

England's got a new bowling sensation! took 5/8 in the first innings and now opening the bowling ahead of anderson/broad/archer

Edited by Shebeen