Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go boys. Big day out.

Hey Benjamen - I see you have done it, can we change our Avatar`s?

Its been a long bleak month after the Sharks went down to WP.

It was made slightly better by this test victory and England giving the All Blacks a snot klap.

Fabes and gang, my last post with a WP avatar - mine and Benjamen`s debts are paid !!

Giving Clarke the Man of the Series seems to be very much a Boobie-prize. The player that affected the result of the series the most must surely be Faf. We all remember what he did at Adelaide, but lets not forget his contribution in this game. His 87 not out in the first innings was the difference between leading with 63 runs when we came out to bat again, affording us the opportunity to be positive.

Hard to argue against Clarke getting man of the series. He scored 500 runs before we even got him out. He was clearly the best player on both teams.

Lance Klusener was man of the tournament at 99 world cup, even though we weren't even in the final.

Clarke his earned the Man Of Series Award.

He was way ahead in terms of runs scored against the nr 1 Team in the world facing of the world's top bowlers.

Nothing to do with the series, but to be the 1st man to score 4 x 200s in a calendar year.

Impressive!!!

It was made slightly better by this test victory and England giving the All Blacks a snot klap.

Fabes and gang, my last post with a WP avatar - mine and Benjamen`s debts are paid !!

You were both good sports!

Yip. It's time.

Clarke his earned the Man Of Series Award.

He was way ahead in terms of runs scored against the nr 1 Team in the world facing of the world's top bowlers.

Nothing to do with the series, but to be the 1st man to score 4 x 200s in a calendar year.

Impressive!!!

Agree

here's a book for those who love to loath about SA cricket.

http://www.kalahari.com/books/The-Art-of-Losing-Why-the-Proteas-Choke-at-the-Cricket-World-Cup/632/45990387.aspx

Since South Africa’s readmission to world cricket in 1991, the Proteas have played in six World Cups (and four World T20 tournaments) and have been knocked out in all of them. The reasons range from the weather and misreading the Duckworth–Lewis table to being outwitted on the field itself. In the most recent tournaments, though, they have shown a scandalous lack of nerve in the pressure-cooker of international knockout cricket.

Drawing from interviews with the major protagonists and behind-the-scenes officials, The Art of Losing recreates the drama of these matches. With fresh anecdotes, stories and insights, it also attempts to explain why World Cup failure has become a habit. Does the problem lie with coaching, with communication issues, or with a lack of independent thinking among the players? Is it the product of a pampered professional environment, or of the South African schooling system?

The Art of Losing will ruffle feathers but will also attempt to explain the ‘choker’ tag that has become so widespread. Is it fair? The Proteas, after all, win a high proportion of their one-day matches and have some of the best cricketers in the world. Why, then, do they invariably fail to clear that final hurdle?

wonder if biff will sign a copy for you if you ask nicely?

well done Nick and Benjamen you guys were good Sports you even kept the avatars on for 6 extra days. Must be your secret love for WP

well done Nick and Benjamen you guys were good Sports you even kept the avatars on for 6 extra days. Must be your secret love for WP

:-D

here's a book for those who love to loath about SA cricket.

http://www.kalahari.com/books/The-Art-of-Losing-Why-the-Proteas-Choke-at-the-Cricket-World-Cup/632/45990387.aspx

Since South Africa’s readmission to world cricket in 1991, the Proteas have played in six World Cups (and four World T20 tournaments) and have been knocked out in all of them. The reasons range from the weather and misreading the Duckworth–Lewis table to being outwitted on the field itself. In the most recent tournaments, though, they have shown a scandalous lack of nerve in the pressure-cooker of international knockout cricket.

Drawing from interviews with the major protagonists and behind-the-scenes officials, The Art of Losing recreates the drama of these matches. With fresh anecdotes, stories and insights, it also attempts to explain why World Cup failure has become a habit. Does the problem lie with coaching, with communication issues, or with a lack of independent thinking among the players? Is it the product of a pampered professional environment, or of the South African schooling system?

The Art of Losing will ruffle feathers but will also attempt to explain the ‘choker’ tag that has become so widespread. Is it fair? The Proteas, after all, win a high proportion of their one-day matches and have some of the best cricketers in the world. Why, then, do they invariably fail to clear that final hurdle?

wonder if biff will sign a copy for you if you ask nicely?

Would you apply this thinking process to the All Black Rugby team? They took over 20 odd years to win another World Cup yet they were most of the time number 1 in the world

Damn, you found me out. I actually did support Province ages ago as my second side, till you took Joel...

Edited by Benjamin

Damn, you found me out. I actually did support Province ages ago as my second side, till you took Joel...

http://www.bemerblog.co.za/uploads/1/1/7/7/11771402/8530404.jpg

the really good news is that winning this series means we're going to be #1 for a while now(assuming we can at worst draw with nz and pakis at home).

what remains unanswered for me:

*AB as a keeper, despite his one good innings I still don't think it's the long term answer for team and his career.

*spinner option. Tahir is not working, but shouldn't be dumped. I think our attack will vary on conditions from here on, Robbie p has done bloody well on his second 'debut', but even harry could get another look in here. Phangiso still has a lot to prove imho.

*batting lineup. can't drop Faf now, what will the mix be when JP comes back - think this could be the focus of the summer, but if our top order fires then the #6 position might not get tested against kiwis and pakis.

*how much longer kallis will play for. He's show that he is still in his prime as a batsmen, and could manage to stay in for at least 2 more seasons with limited bowling. He's been injured in three series this year alone, but the eye is still good.

*why Graeme Smith remains most unappreciated sportsman in the country.

Totally agree with the last point, Biff is one of the best opening batsmen of all time with an average close to 50, not to mention his record as a captain. Think they are just jealous of his success and his model wife!

Would you apply this thinking process to the All Black Rugby team? They took over 20 odd years to win another World Cup yet they were most of the time number 1 in the world

I think there are some half truths to the theory that we choke at a cricket world cup.

Let's not forget the all blacks didn't exactly dominate the final in 2011 against the frogs either and it really could have gone the other way.

I am glad That I am not the only person that thinks AB is wasting space in the team. Graham Smith is a great batsmen, but I think an avg captain. Morkel is over rated as a bowler. Tahir is also a waste of space!

So you would drop AB, Smith, Morkel and Tahir?

Tahir for Robin P - ok. But the other 3? Seriously???