MTB Tyre Choices

patches

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how is the Durability on them ???

Very good. I'm a commuter, and they last just as long as the crossmarks I had before. Just more grip. [emoji2]

Hi guys. I'm going to need new tyres soon. I currently have contis mk2 2.2 front x-king rear. Been very happy with grip but durability seems poor. I have a number of holes in my tread thanks to lugs tearing off. Despite this they seem to still work well. They seem to be a highly regarded tyre but I'm not happy with what I'm seeing. Do I stick with them for my next set or ditch them in favour of something that will last longer. I'm also planning on getting a wider tyre upfront next time for what that's worth. I'm just getting into a bit of enduro and trail riding so that will influence my decision but my bike is a hardtail with a big fork so not really a full sus enduro machine.

To both guys for enduro tyrea.

Don't look at anything but Hans Dampf 2.35 front and rear.

Go for the pacestar(harder compound)at the rear,and trailstar(softer compound)up front.

Those tyres are bombproof,and extremely grippy.

They don't wear too fast either.

Check on easybike.co.za Matthew Walsch has THE BEST pricing on german tyres.

BTW,a new tyre getting insane reviews,is the Schwalbe Magic Mary,which is a do it all Enduro tyre. A bit more pricey,but still better than anyone else in the industry.

Cheers

Chris

To both guys for enduro tyrea.

Don't look at anything but Hans Dampf 2.35 front and rear.

Go for the pacestar(harder compound)at the rear,and trailstar(softer compound)up front.

Those tyres are bombproof,and extremely grippy.

They don't wear too fast either.

Check on easybike.co.za Matthew Walsch has THE BEST pricing on german tyres.

BTW,a new tyre getting insane reviews,is the Schwalbe Magic Mary,which is a do it all Enduro tyre. A bit more pricey,but still better than anyone else in the industry.

Cheers

Chris

Hi peeps

fitted new Vittoria Saguaro tyres to two builds.

They are my new best tyres.

Amazing,grip,grip,grip.

Even the wet was deadly.

BUY THEM!!

Regards

Chris

only took 8 days to go from a Hans Dampf groupie to cheating on them with Vittoria. Hope you don't pick up an itch !!  :P

:D

but tell us more!

Edited by Capricorn

Hi peeps

fitted new Vittoria Saguaro tyres to two builds.

They are my new best tyres.

Amazing,grip,grip,grip.

Even the wet was deadly.

BUY THEM!!

Regards

Chris

This is a XC tire so don't see how it can beat a HD for grip maybe fast rolling but not grip.

Ever thought of the Specialized Ground Control 2.3? Tremendous grip, excellent rolling too. Pretty good at clearing mud.

I used the Mountain Kings - fantastic ride and grip but punctured easily.

The Kenda Nevegal won the Mountain Bike Action tyre shootout for 5 years in a row as the best all round mtb tyre. Seriously puncture resistant. As a trail tyre, I would rate this the best option. I rode the Epic with this on the front and out-cornered many a rider with absolute comfort. Also used them on my Ventana tandem and had excellent service.

Use Crossmark on the front if you enjoy front wheel washouts.

Ever thought of the Specialized Ground Control 2.3? Tremendous grip, excellent rolling too. Pretty good at clearing mud.

I used the Mountain Kings - fantastic ride and grip but punctured easily.

The Kenda Nevegal won the Mountain Bike Action tyre shootout for 5 years in a row as the best all round mtb tyre. Seriously puncture resistant. As a trail tyre, I would rate this the best option. I rode the Epic with this on the front and out-cornered many a rider with absolute comfort. Also used them on my Ventana tandem and had excellent service.

Use Crossmark on the front if you enjoy front wheel washouts.

The Ground Controls are good tyres but aren't that fond of Gauteng hardpack.

I have experienced problems with specialized sidewalls not being very strong - both the ground controls and the fast traks (also "controls") have suffered sidewall cuts.

Therefore, consider avoiding if you ride very rocky trails.

The Ground Controls are good tyres but aren't that fond of Gauteng hardpack.

I have experienced problems with specialized sidewalls not being very strong - both the ground controls and the fast traks (also "controls") have suffered sidewall cuts.

Therefore, consider avoiding if you ride very rocky trails.

Have the Ground control on the front and fast trak not the rear both roll fast but the side walls are not very stable going around corners the GC is very pressure sensitive. They have good life but we don't get a huge selection of Spez different compound tires in SA.

I am looking at switching mine out at the moment but so many choices.