MTB Tyre Choices

patches

On 12/23/2022 at 6:32 AM, MORNE said:

I’d like to try Magic Mary/ big betty too at some stage. 
I had some of the newer Hans Damph/Nobby Nicks/Rock Razors in Addix a few years ago and they were all very nice tyres. They also don't look as ‘cheap’ as maxxis - my gripe with the Maxxis sidewall-graphic-puke is well documented on here 😅

990FC451-9D16-4B6A-AD1D-9F2FDA9A7241.jpeg

D59DB7C5-CAD2-4064-AD6A-DBB94DCCF663.jpeg

This is a brilliant setup, absolutely bullet proof with tons of grips although not the fastest rolling.

Magic Mary at the front (super trail version) with the Big Betty (super gravity version) at the rear - you will love it whilst losing your fear for punctures and sidewall cuts in general, which is great for one's confidence. :)

Whilst I don't expect them to last super long, they still look realtively new after 400km of fairly intense riding.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or are specific Schwalbe Tyres near impossible to get hold of...

Am looking for Racing Ray 2.25 Super Race and Racing Ralph 2.25 Ralph Super Race and stock is near impossible to get.

Will consider Super Ground as it in essence seems to be pretty much the same tyre except it is 30 grams heavier (duh) and offers a bit more protection. Right??

But again..stock!!! At least from the shops I looked at online (i.e. CycleLab, Evobikes, CWC). 

Edited by pedal menace

Newbie question here. 

I am riding the cross cape route so i’m looking for a fast rolling tyre. i put some Rekon race 2.3 tyres on rims with 30mm internal width but the tyre has a very square profile on these rims. Are any other tyres more suited to wider rims?

Is your concern rolling resistance? If so, I don't think you should stress it when you're riding at touring pace. I did the whole ride on a set of 45C gravel tires without any issues whatsoever 🤙

7 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

Newbie question here. 

I am riding the cross cape route so i’m looking for a fast rolling tyre. i put some Rekon race 2.3 tyres on rims with 30mm internal width but the tyre has a very square profile on these rims. Are any other tyres more suited to wider rims?

https://www.maxxis.com/int/tire/rekon-race/

Read the section about Wide Trail (WT)

You can get a 29X2.40WT which is designed specially for wide rims of 30mm.

The Standard (non WT) Rekon Race was designed for narrow rims.

7 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Is your concern rolling resistance? If so, I don't think you should stress it when you're riding at touring pace. I did the whole ride on a set of 45C gravel tires without any issues whatsoever 🤙

yes, this square tyre rolls like a brick but also doesn’t handle nicely 

11 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

Newbie question here. 

I’ve been running the Pirelli - Scorpion XC RC Lite Team Edition 2.4 Tyres for a while now. Ridden them at Banhoek Trailseeker, Stellenbosch and surrounds decent trails, super light weight, great rolling resistance and have performed really well across all kinds of terrain. I also run 30mm ID rims, best of all available on takealot. So have been buying them with ebucks. Bought another set as I like them so much. Highly recommend as they really seem to perform better than their tread pattern would make you think grip wise.

1 hour ago, Murrob said:

I’ve been running the Pirelli - Scorpion XC RC Lite Team Edition 2.4 Tyres for a while now. Ridden them at Banhoek Trailseeker, Stellenbosch and surrounds decent trails, super light weight, great rolling resistance and have performed really well across all kinds of terrain. I also run 30mm ID rims, best of all available on takealot. So have been buying them with ebucks. Bought another set as I like them so much. Highly recommend as they really seem to perform better than their tread pattern would make you think grip wise.

Funnily enough that is the tyre i was going to try next. Do you think the 2.2 will be too narrow?

On 8/29/2022 at 11:11 PM, Harryn said:

I need help, but not bad enough to read all 94 pages. Or even 1.

I am running Conti race king / X King on my camber. Of late, I just don't have confidence in their grip, especially on the back. Like when i stand on a bit of a snandy or stony little incline, I get slippage. This has accounted for 2 consecutive falls one Mordor afternoon. I dunno if the nobblies are worn or if the tires just aren’t optimal, but I sure as heck dont get this with the butchers I am running on the levo xl. They are rock solid, and inspire confidence. But I assume they are heavy as lead, and not compatible with an “analogue” bike. So, do I change the conti’s or grin and bear it. And what do I swap them for? Also. I just hate punctures and sidewall tears, so i need something grippy that is  not too delicate. I need value for money. I want my cake and I wanna eat it. And I dont know anything about tires or mountain biking  really, so advice would be appreciated.

If you want grip, low weight and good rolling resistance the bontrager xr4 👌🏻

Or if you want more a xr4 rear and xr5 front 😁

Sorry only looking at the date now guess it's a little late 😂

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

9 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

Funnily enough that is the tyre i was going to try next. Do you think the 2.2 will be too narrow?

For 30mm ID, yeah would think so, unless it was specifically for that event. I do find the 2.4 already sits a bit narrower, presumably due to less material. They are significantly lighter than other tyres I would run for training, like 150 grams plus per tyre, so there is a significant rotational weight benefit. Makes you feel like you flying. Then the 2.4 allows for lower pressure of course, which is probably why they still feel so capable when things get a bit hairy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MTB with American Wide Lightning rims (29"). I need rear and front tires. Unfortunately I also need a new chainring so what is a affordable tire combo and who has them? Affordable as in roughly R700/tire if that is even possible 

47 minutes ago, WaynejG said:

I have a MTB with American Wide Lightning rims (29"). I need rear and front tires. Unfortunately I also need a new chainring so what is a affordable tire combo and who has them? Affordable as in roughly R700/tire if that is even possible 

What are you riding mostly?

Marathon, XCO, Enduro, Trail or something else?

Don't really want to go shredding gnarly rock gardens at break neck speed on some Maxxis Aspens. They don't seem to last too long then😅

13 minutes ago, WT said:

What are you riding mostly?

Marathon, XCO, Enduro, Trail or something else?

Don't really want to go shredding gnarly rock gardens at break neck speed on some Maxxis Aspens. They don't seem to last too long then😅

Mostly light trail, and a mix of gravel and tar.

1 minute ago, WaynejG said:

Mostly light trail, and a mix of gravel and tar.

Go For IKON or ASPEN

Aspen

• XC (Cross Country)

The Maxxis Aspen is one of our premier XC race tires. A low center tread height allows the Aspen to roll quickly but substantial – for XC – side knobs provide cornering traction.

• Dual compound
  • 60 TPI or 120 TPI casing options
  • EXO sidewall protection
  • Wide Trail (WT) sizes optimized for 30mm inner width rims
  • Select specs are Tubeless Ready (TR), confirm in table below

Category: XC Race, XC

Recommended use: Dry to mixed XC trail conditions

Recommended installation: Front or Rear

3 hours ago, WaynejG said:

CST possibly. Part of the Maxxis company. Harder compound, I think, but might suit you.