29er tyres

Spartacus88

Warren, you now habe an excuse to upgrade your wheelset.

Look at getting a set of Stans ZTR Crest or a set of American Classic wheels.

You wont look back, they make a big difference

Hmmm... Ranga - the Crests are good, but they're not the strongest for folk above 90kg.

And Warren - if that is you in the pic there in your avatar, then I'm going to assume that you're somewhere around that level. So - the crests won't be the best for you.

DT swiss are a good wheel manufacturer. Just make sure to check the weight limits on some of the wheels before you put the cash n the table...

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

American Classic wheels are the strongest for the weight and cheaper than Stans. 1600g is 10g grams heavier than the Stans Crest wheelset for the AC standard wheelset but so much stronger with a rider weight limit of 107kgs. Here is a chart with AC wheels their weights and weight limits: http://amclassic.com/documents/manuals/wheel_chart.pdf

As for tyres...Maxxis Ikon Exo. With Ikons and AC wheels you will save yourself a bucketload of weight.

• 1 month later...

Just tried out a set of Maxxi Ardents at Groenkloof today. Really great tyres when compared to my favourite Crossmarks on a relatively dry track, can't wait to see how they perform in the wet.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings.

I need some good advice.

I using Racing Ralph snake skin on my back and I been told to use a rocket Ron on the front. I was wanting to use a Racing Ralph Evo.

Can any one give me some input please.

not sure on what tire pressure I should have on my 29 tires. I have a Scott Scale Elite 29er with the standard Schwalbe racing Ron tires.

Got tubes with sludge, and was told by a local bike shop that tire pressure should be around 2.2 bars.

This seems really hard to me. I weigh 75kg, and ride mostly single track.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated....

not sure on what tire pressure I should have on my 29 tires. I have a Scott Scale Elite 29er with the standard Schwalbe racing Ron tires.

Got tubes with sludge, and was told by a local bike shop that tire pressure should be around 2.2 bars.

This seems really hard to me. I weigh 75kg, and ride mostly single track.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated....

Tubes you would need to pump a bit more to avoid pinch flats, if you hit an obstacle such as a rock even the sludge wont help much.

Tubes you would need to pump a bit more to avoid pinch flats, if you hit an obstacle such as a rock even the sludge wont help much.

so are you saying the 2.2bars is actually not enough? Feels absolutely rock-solid at that pressure.

so are you saying the 2.2bars is actually not enough? Feels absolutely rock-solid at that pressure.

Convert them to Tubeless

I pump my tyres (also on sludge still) to 2.0 but then again I'm a bit lighter than you. 2.2 sounds good, you can go a tad harder. If you were on tubeless you would be able to drop to around 1.6 (seems to be general consensus for your weight on the Hub) .

Just tried out a set of Maxxi Ardents at Groenkloof today. Really great tyres when compared to my favourite Crossmarks on a relatively dry track, can't wait to see how they perform in the wet.

Ardent's rock!

I have used them on many different types of bikes and they do a very good job in all conditions.

Tough, fair weight in LUST format and roll well too. If you need a little more speed a Geax Saguaro on the back can help you out, but on the front the Ardent does very well.

At 100kg+ i ride between 2.5 and 3 bar off road and 4 bar on road with tubes on my 26" can be quite bumpy but prefer it to risk of pinch flat.

My 29" is tubeless and i ride 2bar front 2.2 rear, again i could go lower but don't want to risk the tyre burping. .

If you prefer softer you could possibly go a bit lower to say 1.8 to 2bar with tubes but i personally wont go lower.

Agreed, I attempted riding up a flight of stairs the otherday and the back wheel took a decent knock where I could feel the edge of the stair tread hitting the rim .... on tubes it would have been a very decent snake bite

Any one know about Rock Ron's EVO for the front.

Rocket Rons provide more grip than the Racing Ralphs. Ralphs are the lighter, XC racer style of tire that is suited more to hardpack than anything else. Rocket Rons are more of an all rounder, slightly heavier but a better tire for the front (imo)

Dependign on how aggressively you ride, I might even suggest a Nobby Nic for the front. But seeing as you're in Gautengaleng, the Rocket Rons would be best for your conditions.

Hey guys

Recently got a set of the Vredenstein Black Panther and the extreme option (for F tyre).

REALLY good rolling, gripping and strong sidewalls.

More than worth a look at.

Happy Hooping